Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Numberplates Stolen - Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Annoying morning, both numberplates stolen on my Model Y. Looks like they just unclipped the numberplate brackets and lifted them off, don't have sentry enabled but wouldn't have really helped. Reported on Met Police website, had a look if I needed to tell DVLA but can't find any links? Assume I don't need to let insurance know of something so minor?

I need to sort new plates, but guess I need to order some new plate brackets too to clip back on to the bracket that's bolted to the car - can I get these direct from Tesla or any alternative Amazon options??

Thanks !

Sorry to hear... didn't think this was still happening but looks like it is.

Yes, the Tesla plate mounts basically unclip in seconds.I would suggest to either remove them entirely and use vinyl adhesive for improved looks, or just use 3M VHB adhesive to bond the new ones permanently.

Notifying the police is enough, DVLA won't do much at this stage, but, as your plates were most likely stolen to make a clone vehicle, keep your crime reference number handy in case you receive some fines in the upcoming weeks/months; in that case you might want to change your reg number entirely...

Reactions: M1tch and Bunes
Same happened to my previous car a couple of years ago. Easy to get new plates, Halfords will do them while you wait for example. Challenge I had is that I had to have someone else drive me to the Halfords because of course you can’t drive a car without plates…

I informed police only the same day. Luckily I never got any speeding fines or whatnot.

Reactions: Bunes
Silly true anecdote...as a student late 60s I had made up my own plates from letters from scrapyard. After one stormy night I was stopped by a copper who asked me the reg. I didn't help things by asking ' why cos they're on the front and back' before finding out they had washed off in the night! Decent enough copper walked me to a shop to buy brush and paint...
I'd print out a temporary pair and drive to Halfords.

• Funny
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Annoying morning, both numberplates stolen on my Model Y. Looks like they just unclipped the numberplate brackets and lifted them off, don't have sentry enabled but wouldn't have really helped. Reported on Met Police website, had a look if I needed to tell DVLA but can't find any links? Assume I don't need to let insurance know of something so minor?

I need to sort new plates, but guess I need to order some new plate brackets too to clip back on to the bracket that's bolted to the car - can I get these direct from Tesla or any alternative Amazon options??

Thanks !
At least you don't have to worry about getting any ULEZ fines if someone sticks them on another car.

When you get your new plate mate up, make sure it is different so the car can be differentiated from the car the fake plates will end up on.

For example if your old plates had a green stripe, make sure your new plates don’t have a stripe.

You’ll thank me when the speeding and parking tickets come your way.

The other option of to just buy a different plate from the DLVA, they have some starting at about £130 so it will be about £200 all in with the transfer fee etc.

Assuming he has registered with the TfL for ULEZ. I remember doing it separtely for ULEZ and Congestion charging. Has it changed now?
I went online to register for ULEZ (for when it expands to the M25), and after inputting my reg, the response was "We know your vehicle meets the ULEZ criteria, and no further action is required" - or words to that effect. Don't know about congestion charge, but presume it's the same?

I went online to register for ULEZ (for when it expands to the M25), and after inputting my reg, the response was "We know your vehicle meets the ULEZ criteria, and no further action is required" - or words to that effect. Don't know about congestion charge, but presume it's the same?
No you have to email ur v5c and pay 10 for CC exemption and this needs to be done every year.

Assuming he has registered with the TfL for ULEZ. I remember doing it separtely for ULEZ and Congestion charging. Has it changed now?
As far as I know there is no registration for ULEZ unless you are driving a foreign vehicle. also Op is from London so would be odd if he did not if it is required
Its not. You have to register for the congestion charge and pay a fee.

Reactions: Roy B
I don’t undersrand why the DVLA don’t operate some sort of automatic cancellation policy for stolen plates, its not as if its hard to provide new details and it would soon remove the problem as nicking plates would have a useful lifespan if a few hours and at best make it easy for the cops to stumble across the culprits (if there were any police). But i guess that would be sensible and helpful.

Correct on ULEZ. It’s got a direct link to the DVLA database so it automatically knows what powertrain you have, Euro level on an ICE, etc.

Would expect some of these plates being stolen off EV’s could also be for older ICE cars to avoid paying fees in these low emission zones. Will the cops pull over an ICE with the green line on the plates or just ignore it?

Correct on ULEZ. It’s got a direct link to the DVLA database so it automatically knows what powertrain you have, Euro level on an ICE, etc.

Would expect some of these plates being stolen off EV’s could also be for older ICE cars to avoid paying fees in these low emission zones. Will the cops pull over an ICE with the green line on the plates or just ignore it?
If the thieves havw any sense they would put a sticker over it

When you order new plates, make sure they are different to your ones that were stolen (ie add a GB sticker, or remove the green stripe). This will make it easier for you to get rid of fines/PCNs etc, and also make it easier for police to differentiate between the "true" vehicle (yours) and the clone. It will mean you're stopped far less often by the police as a result.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
As has been mentioned, it’s a good idea to do something to make your car look distinctive, such as a sticker on the windscreen or the plates looking different. That way when/if you get speeding/parking tickets or the cops come calling because the clone vehicle has been used in crime you can show your vehicle looks different to the one in any photos. Also worth keeping the crime report letter you receive in the car in case you flash up on any ANPR cameras and are stopped by the police.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, it’s a good idea to do something to make your car look distinctive, such as a sticker on the windscreen or the plates looking different. That way when/if you get speeding/parking tickets or the cops come calling because the clone vehicle has been used in crime you can show your vehicle looks different to the one in any photos. Also worth keeping the crime report letter you receive in the car in case you flash up on any ANPR cameras and are stopped by the police.
I was reading a story about vehicle cloning recently and I was thinking how similar Tesla's are to each other with only 5 colours and very few trim variations. from the front they all look very similar and I was thinking of doing something like that.

Like this?

Tesla-Model-3-BMW.jpg

:)