Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Numerology on Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
934,090 bottles of beer on the wall: :p

Gary Black on Twitter: "There’s a good chance $TSLA 4Q production will >300K, which would be excellent since it would suggest 2022 production of 1.5M with 150K each from Austin and Berlin. If 4Q production somehow gets to 309,508, FY ‘21 production will be exactly equal to … drum roll please …934,090. https://t.co/Oc71GXCDNy" / Twitter

FH85_wSUcAE7GJu

Cheers!

I haven't finished writing out analysis but I still think the video of Giga Shanghai had a lot more new info than was understood. Since my last post, I subsequently learned that some of what I had thought was new had already been shown in a couple recent interviews there. It's still not clear to me whether this was actually signaled intentionally with silly numbers and memes or not, but I think this was the biggest news since AI Day.

The highlights, in my opinion, were:
  • No inventory warehouse
    • This had already been discussed in an interview a year ago but the 12/9 video showed more, and this is the biggest deal of them all because of:
      • The build quality (i.e. manufacturing process reliability) and supply chain reliability that must have been achieved to get this to work in the first place
      • The implications on cost, flexibility/agility, and rate of innovation
    • New info: About 2,000 trucks per day across 97 bays = Avg of 1 container every 70 minutes at each bay.
      • About as perfect flow as could be achieved; next one arrives shortly after the previous one leaves

• 2 months (merely!) from start of production with imported parts to localizing most of the supply chain
    • WTF?!

• Multistory automated logistics taking full advantage of vertical dimension
    • Also had been discussed previously but much more shown on 12/9
    • Basically what was attempted--and failed--for original Model 3 ramp in Fremont
      • Designing factory more like a computer processor, as Elon has mentioned as goal many times
    • Improve volumetric efficiency
      • Key metric = Value added per cubic meter per day
    • Enables extensive system of feederlines that can easily be rearranged quickly
      • Helps with flexibility/agility in case a more optimal layout is invented or production steps are added or eliminated later on
    • Improves safety for people by eliminating most of the need for forklifts

• Stamping, Welding, Painting and Final Assembly combined into one unified shop

• Battery electrical connection to power bus majorly simplified
    • Apparently fully automated

• Hairpin motor
    • Also apparently automated

They also showed several machines I've never seen before and don't understand what they do. These might be significant but I don't know what I'm looking at.

I also watched a video from Ford showcasing the Mach-E production line and it's a joke in comparison. Consider buying a Mach-E if you want a handcrafted artisan car with a charming touch of human-caused variation.

Can you provide a link to that video showing the Mach-e production line? Much appreciated!

Not much, but still telling, I think. An ergonomics geek will immediately notice the amount of leaning, bending, turning and above-chest reaching required for the technicians. Meanwhile, Tesla has the Supertub (see attached image from 2019 Impact Report)

Caveats when comparing this to Tesla's videos:

1) It is ostensibly intended to highlight the staggering quantity of women they hired, so naturally it focuses less on automated production processes and more on manual work.

2) It is supposedly showing very early production units being used for training, so the process may have been significantly streamlined and accelerated since then.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-213351.png
    Screenshot_20220102-213351.png
    989.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
😔
Any chance you can explain the meaning like you are talking to a 5 year old?

Elon tweets about gaslighting, then links to an obvious honeytrap website (no content, but the apache webserver logs will record your visit, and where you came from).

Using Whois tools shows ZILCH for ownership of this domain, the registration of which expires soon (June 25, 2022). Is that enough to warrant a revival of this spectacular thread? ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Chunky Jr.
Elon tweets about gaslighting, then links to an obvious honeytrap website (no content, but the apache webserver logs will record your visit, and where you came from).

Using Whois tools shows ZILCH for ownership of this domain, which registration expires on a certain date April (no, not April 1st). Is that enough to warrent a mention in this spectacular thread? ;)

No.

I think you have confused this for the numerology thread.