Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nurburgring and Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taycan is great for Nurburgring, but any further than that and it overheats and slows WAY down. In the end, Model 3 is faster in longer races
But if the Taycan overheats and slows down how would it be able to beat the EV record on one of the longest tracks? That article is the first time I have heard of the Taycan overheating like that too

But if the Taycan overheats and slows down how would it be able to beat the EV record on one of the longest tracks? That article is the first time I have heard of the Taycan overheating like that too
I don't know- I am no expert, and I am just repeating what the quoted article said.
They seem to think the Taycan can JUST do the length of Nurburgring, but not much more, they seem to imply that the car was tuned to be able to give a great NBR time but that was it ie TWO Nurburgring laps at full power wouldn't be possible. I don't know.

Reactions: bhzmark
I don't know- I am no expert, and I am just repeating what the quoted article said.
They seem to think the Taycan can JUST do the length of Nurburgring, but not much more, they seem to imply that the car was tuned to be able to give a great NBR time but that was it ie TWO Nurburgring laps at full power wouldn't be possible. I don't know.
Model 3 and Plaid definitely beat the Taycan in total range, and Plaid beats Taycan in any straight line drag race. That said, if I was racing around a mountain course, I would much rather be in an Taycan Turbo S that a Model S Plaid. Going 20-120-20mph around a mountain course I would be shitting my pants in a Plaid thinking at which point the brakes are going to disintegrate and I am going to off a cliff. I wish someone would put a Taycan Turbo S vs. Plaid on a course doing 0-120-0 over and over and see what happens. I also strongly suspect Taycan Turbo S will corner much better than a Plaid.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
Model 3 and Plaid definitely beat the Taycan in total range, and Plaid beats Taycan in any straight line drag race. That said, if I was racing around a mountain course, I would much rather be in an Taycan Turbo S that a Model S Plaid. Going 20-120-20mph around a mountain course I would be shitting my pants in a Plaid thinking at which point the brakes are going to disintegrate and I am going to off a cliff. I wish someone would put a Taycan Turbo S vs. Plaid on a course doing 0-120-0 over and over and see what happens. I also strongly suspect Taycan Turbo S will corner much better than a Plaid.

Get $200 brake pads, problem solved. There were and are many performance that had pads that would get destroyed at a track day, the IS-F, RC-F and STi's etc.

There is no Nurburgring time for the production Model S Plaid and it seems that Tesla is at the ring right now testing. The production car they are running has the track package with 20x10" in the front and 20x11" on the rear, I assume with Michelin cup tires and upgraded brake pads. A similar track package as the Model 3 track package.

Edit: this article has pictures of a Model S Plaid with the stock 21" wheels:

Tesla Model S Plaid Crashes Into Guardrail At the Nürburing

Last edited:
Model 3 and Model S have longer real world cruise range than Taycan by a small margin. Let’s say a Taycan will get 225 to 275 miles in the real world. By contrast a Tesla will go 250 to 350 miles depending on the year model and trim. However in an endurance race the Taycan will beat the Teslas because it has better cooling and faster charging. This assumes fast chargers are available for the Taycan because right now Tesla has a huge advantage with the Supercharging network.

That’s over 2000 miles in a day in high temps. The thing to remember is that the Taycan is specifically engineered for this purpose. MS Plaid might be able to do this, I don’t know, but I wouldn’t bet on that. It isn’t a knock against Tesla, it’s just an acknowledgment that the two car companies are serving different kinds of customers. For most people the Model S Plaid is a better value because it is incredible and much cheaper. If you’re not trying to race 2000 miles in a day or race on the Ring then is it worth it to pay 50k more? Easy answer if you aren’t a racer or looking for the Porsche brand. All of these are great cars so whatever your preference you can’t go wrong.

Last edited:
"unmodified, directly from the factory". Hmm, which factory puts this instrument cluster in the Plaid and the kill switch by the mirror?

1631263554223.png
Plaid

Is the German Plaid different from USA Plaid? What do these buttons do in the German version?
1631264028496.png

Oh wait! You mean special order from the factory, one which only Elon can order edition?

Another interesting question, which speedometer is right? Is Tesla IC showing "EV speed", which is somehow special and not equal to actual physics defined speed (like Tesla's explanation how P85D was a 700hp car, because EV horse-power is different/special). Or is this famous Tesla production quality - speed calibration off by 11km/h is "normal".

1631264262756.png

Sorry folks, I know this is sarcasm, but being a Tesla customer of 8+ years, I know everything coming out of Elon is pure hype BS which has asterisks attached to it which won't be made public for a few years - special EV horse-power is different than ICE hp (worth 150% actually), AP1 will find you anywhere on private property, AP2 capable of full Level 5 autonomy, FSD ready to drive cost to coast by end of 2017, etc. I'm just warning those who have not been with Tesla for long (or perhaps don't even own one yet).

Last edited:
"unmodified, directly from the factory".

In order to make an official record attempt at the ring the track has multiple safety requirements they must meet. There are clearly two kill switches but the silver box is unknown.

Also the speedo error even at 270 kph is still within the federal allowed error at 50 mph. Speedo's being off is pretty normal with most cars. Most of the cars I've owned have been off by 2 to 6 mph at 70 and every time they were high.

Another interesting question, which speedometer is right? Is Tesla IC showing "EV speed", which is somehow special and not equal to actual physics defined speed (like Tesla's explanation how P85D was a 700hp car, because EV horse-power is different/special). Or is this famous Tesla production quality - speed calibration off by 11km/h is "normal".

The aftermarket speedo is probably showing true groundspeed. Original clusters are often wrong, and the difference between speedo and GPS speed will just increase with the increased speed. I've never owned a car that has shown the true speed I'm driving.
The speedometer should never show a lower speed than you're actually travelling, but if I'm not mistaken they are federally allowed to show 10% more than the actual speed. So manufacturers tend to lay on the safe side to make up for different tire sizes.

Edit: It actually looks like the GPS antenna for the speed is in the middle of the dashboard, just like the taycan had during its run.

Reactions: bhzmark
Silver box is a fire extinguisher system made by 'Lifeline'. Another safety addition, nothing more.
There is inherent lag in a GPS-based speed readout. The dash display is a Motec data logger/display which can be programmed to show various data coming from the car. It's a sophisticated Dragy, that's all.

It's great to see the Plaid S doing well as a track car. Elon mention setting the official world speed record for a production electric unmodified however, was there not a braking issue with the stock pads and rotors?
It's amazing to me that they are doing all this track testing & racing without having a track mode. Is Dragstrip mode the new Track mode?

those are safety add-ons which are required, and does not affect performance of the car
"unmodified, directly from the factory". Hmm, which factory puts this instrument cluster in the Plaid and the kill switch by the mirror?

Plaid

Is the German Plaid different from USA Plaid? What do these buttons do in the German version?

Oh wait! You mean special order from the factory, one which only Elon can order edition?

Reactions: bhzmark and SO16