Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVH Extreme Vibration in Front On Hard Acceleration and Yellowing Screen on Model S and X Poor Service Department

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was always a huge Tesla fan and I am now on my second Model S. It is a 2017 100d that was put into service in 9/17 so my warranty expired about 45 days ago. My car has two issues that are all well known. I have the yellowing around the center screen that they can fix with an ultraviolet light ( so they say) which happens because of some adhesive that was used is my understanding. Second and much more important is I have the extreme front end vibration on hard acceleration otherwise known as NVH (Noise, vibration and harshness). I went to set up a service appointment a few days ago and Monterey was booked, Santa Barbra was booked Fresno was booked so they sent me to Bakersfield 2.5 hours from where I am on the Central California Coast. I submitted my issues and it took two days to get a response that said it would cost me just shy of 1900.00. REALLY. I wrote back (cause you cant call and talk to anyone) and said that this is a known issue on 2014-2019 Tesla Model S and X and the service bulletin is Tesla SB-21-39-001 dated may 14, 2021. It doesnt say anything about warranty it simply states
:
"Repair Bulletin: This repair bulletin provides instructions on addressing a noted condition or possible customer concern regarding the operation of Tesla vehicles. These instructions should only be performed by trained professionals. Condition Some versions of Model S and X front drive unit halfshafts might cause excessive vibrations during hard acceleration at higher ride height settings. This is exclusively an NVH issue and does not otherwise affect steering functionality, braking, or acceleration. Correction Upon customer complaint, inspect the vehicle for excessive vibrations from the front drive unit during hard acceleration. If the condition is present, replace both front drive unit halfshafts with updated components, and if necessary, replace the front drive unit clevis and axle seal."

Service replied that this is simply what to do when a customer complains. If the car is under warranty its covered and if its not under warranty its not. So what your telling me is that if you own a 2014-2017 Model S or X even though it is a known issue with corrected parts, it will cost you 1900. out of pocket even though there was no solution while your car was under warranty.

It amazes me that Tesla wants to have my car viewed by everyone that gets in it as a car that looks and acts sub par that cost 113,000. Think about it. A friend asks me what I think of my Tesla and all I do is throw him the keys and say decide for yourself put make sure you hit the acceleration hard. First thing he does is get in my car and sees this yellow ugly line that is a 1/4 inch wide all the way around my screen making it look dingy and old and then when he accelerates (lets face it, thats why we all fell in love with the car) and the front end feels like its going to vibrate off! My car is less than 45 days out of warranty ( 3,000 miles under warranty) and Tesla says, yup, we can fix our know problem for 1900 bucks! This is the way we want to run a luxury 6 figure car line? The crazy part is you cant talk to anyone live at Tesla! Then I read that you can escalate issues directly to a Tesla VP and they are read daily, I sure cant find where thats at on my Tesla site. I am really disappointed in the way service has lost the customer service/support, it used to be so good and no no existent. Maybe its just Bakersfield but I cant get a hold of anyone to ask. JUST MY OPINION BUT IF YOU HAVE A KNOWN PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION YOU SHOULD FIX IT WHETHER UNDER WARRANTY OR NOT!!! Makes me rethink my six figure investment in the stock because when you have bad customer service and communication things start to crumble

I had this exact problem. 2017 100D. Brought it to their attention when car was only a year or so old. They said it was normal. Brought it to them again a year later and they applied the instruction you posted. It seemed to fixe the problem. But last week I noticed it was back. When accelerating hard, it goes du-lu-du-lu-du-lu. I don’t think I will bring it back if it is going to cost $2k to address temporarily.

I had this exact problem. 2017 100D. Brought it to their attention when car was only a year or so old. They said it was normal. Brought it to them again a year later and they applied the instruction you posted. It seemed to fixe the problem. But last week I noticed it was back. When accelerating hard, it goes du-lu-du-lu-du-lu. I don’t think I will bring it back if it is going to cost $2k to address temporarily.
Thanks for your reply. was debating about paying the 2 grand because lets face t, we all like the 0-60 feel but for 2k, I don't think so. We arre supposed to feel proud of our cars when people get in and I am almost ashamed with my yellow border around the screen and a crazy vibration. Its a real shame IMO

Reactions: Dcam
Tesla (thinks it) is a tech company, not a car manufacturer & servicing agent.
The mindset of tech companies like Apple, Nokia, Samsung etc is that you buy something, use it for a couple of years then throw it away and buy a new one.

The mindset of tech companies like Apple, Nokia, Samsung etc is that you buy something, use it for a couple of years then throw it away and buy a new one.
That is a really interesting point of view, I hadn't thought about that but you may be right. It just amazes me that you would want your car being seen like this, its crazy. Love my car but to be honest I almost prefer my Lexus LC500 because its almost as fast, fun as hell to drive and Lexus takes care of me. The infotainment on the other hand, not so good :) I just wish Tesla would do what right, not really looking for above and beyond, just what right!! Thanks for your insight

That’s not true. Tesla is one of the only car companies that would upgrade your car through software years after. I even got my slow MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 and it felt like a new car. Yes you have to pay for it, but other car mfg won’t even let you.

I do admit they can do a better job on some of the mechanical issues. The du-lu-du-lu vibration should never happen, and any fix should be permanent.

Thanks for your reply. was debating about paying the 2 grand because lets face t, we all like the 0-60 feel but for 2k, I don't think so. We arre supposed to feel proud of our cars when people get in and I am almost ashamed with my yellow border around the screen and a crazy vibration. Its a real shame IMO
At least go get your screen UV fixed. You see it every drive and it will make you less upset.

I ran into Tesla techs in Crescent City, Ca, they were testing the new model X Plaid, we were comparing the quality between my July 2018 verses the 2022, I stated they were throwaway cars and they gasped. If the drivetrain isn’t going to last, its a throwaway car.

The post over here seems to imply that the issue has finally been resolved (link below). The later posts indicate the repair was $657 (on page 13). For what it's worth, my car too is enjoying this issue. I don't mind paying for a repair at this point, but I do want to know the issue won't come back in the future (which they now imply has been finally accomplished).

Any garage can replace driveshafts, now you are out of warranty probably worth getting new aftermarket Driveshafts fitted, the only thing unique to the Tesla is the type of oil, and quantity of oil in the diff, which you can find in the online manuals anyway.
And before anyone jumps on the 'aftermarket' band wagon, seems the OEM where crap to start with.

I was always a huge Tesla fan and I am now on my second Model S. It is a 2017 100d that was put into service in 9/17 so my warranty expired about 45 days ago. My car has two issues that are all well known. I have the yellowing around the center screen that they can fix with an ultraviolet light ( so they say) which happens because of some adhesive that was used is my understanding. Second and much more important is I have the extreme front end vibration on hard acceleration otherwise known as NVH (Noise, vibration and harshness). I went to set up a service appointment a few days ago and Monterey was booked, Santa Barbra was booked Fresno was booked so they sent me to Bakersfield 2.5 hours from where I am on the Central California Coast. I submitted my issues and it took two days to get a response that said it would cost me just shy of 1900.00. REALLY. I wrote back (cause you cant call and talk to anyone) and said that this is a known issue on 2014-2019 Tesla Model S and X and the service bulletin is Tesla SB-21-39-001 dated may 14, 2021. It doesnt say anything about warranty it simply states
:
"Repair Bulletin: This repair bulletin provides instructions on addressing a noted condition or possible customer concern regarding the operation of Tesla vehicles. These instructions should only be performed by trained professionals. Condition Some versions of Model S and X front drive unit halfshafts might cause excessive vibrations during hard acceleration at higher ride height settings. This is exclusively an NVH issue and does not otherwise affect steering functionality, braking, or acceleration. Correction Upon customer complaint, inspect the vehicle for excessive vibrations from the front drive unit during hard acceleration. If the condition is present, replace both front drive unit halfshafts with updated components, and if necessary, replace the front drive unit clevis and axle seal."

Service replied that this is simply what to do when a customer complains. If the car is under warranty its covered and if its not under warranty its not. So what your telling me is that if you own a 2014-2017 Model S or X even though it is a known issue with corrected parts, it will cost you 1900. out of pocket even though there was no solution while your car was under warranty.

It amazes me that Tesla wants to have my car viewed by everyone that gets in it as a car that looks and acts sub par that cost 113,000. Think about it. A friend asks me what I think of my Tesla and all I do is throw him the keys and say decide for yourself put make sure you hit the acceleration hard. First thing he does is get in my car and sees this yellow ugly line that is a 1/4 inch wide all the way around my screen making it look dingy and old and then when he accelerates (lets face it, thats why we all fell in love with the car) and the front end feels like its going to vibrate off! My car is less than 45 days out of warranty ( 3,000 miles under warranty) and Tesla says, yup, we can fix our know problem for 1900 bucks! This is the way we want to run a luxury 6 figure car line? The crazy part is you cant talk to anyone live at Tesla! Then I read that you can escalate issues directly to a Tesla VP and they are read daily, I sure cant find where thats at on my Tesla site. I am really disappointed in the way service has lost the customer service/support, it used to be so good and no no existent. Maybe its just Bakersfield but I cant get a hold of anyone to ask. JUST MY OPINION BUT IF YOU HAVE A KNOWN PROBLEM AND THE SOLUTION YOU SHOULD FIX IT WHETHER UNDER WARRANTY OR NOT!!! Makes me rethink my six figure investment in the stock because when you have bad customer service and communication things start to crumble
Dropped our super human FSD Beta "Betty" at the West Las Vegas Service Center with Danny (the service writer, 5 stars), Road test with D (Brave soul and technician that does ride along with customers, 5 Stars), waiting to interface with my next contact Michelle (the service coordinator?) 93,000 miles and Betty is getting her service on! Was informed that a NEW Tesla Service Center is opening on East Sahara now!

Reactions: 2002A
That is a really interesting point of view, I hadn't thought about that but you may be right. It just amazes me that you would want your car being seen like this, its crazy. Love my car but to be honest I almost prefer my Lexus LC500 because its almost as fast, fun as hell to drive and Lexus takes care of me. The infotainment on the other hand, not so good :) I just wish Tesla would do what right, not really looking for above and beyond, just what right!! Thanks for your insight
And the other rub: every drive in the Lexus increases the risk of planetary collapse due to unchecked GHG dumping . . . .

See: climate.nasa.gov and climate.gov for more details.