TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nvidia created a "Tesla P100" chip

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Endoplasmic, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

2. Endoplasmic

Endoplasmic Member

Oh that's pretty cool! I was just posting since the name is the same name as the leaked next model :)

3. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner

Computers built with it cost $130k though..

4. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

I didn't have time to look at the details on that, but I suspect that $130,000 is for computers that train the neural network.

Basically, they have teach the system how to drive much the way a person learns. It processes lots of real-world video taken from cameras mounted on cars and learns how to recognize what a motorcycle, or a dog, or truck looks like and where the lanes are on a road. I think it also gets inputs from the steering wheel, accelerator and brakes from actual drivers in order to learn how real people drive.

That learning requires lots of processing power and time. The result is a big file full of neural net "memories" storing what it learned. This is then installed in the car's "lunchbox"-size AI computer which then makes decisions based on that learning. This requires much less computer power than the learning process but it still takes a lot so they use specialized chips to make it go fast enough.

I vaguely recall that the goal was to get the lunchbox computer in the car down to around $2,000 or less.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Gotta start somewhere....