Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVidia Tegra 4...when will it show up in another TM product?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't expect it until probably the GenIII. Even though it will be very outdated by the time the Model X is produced, building for something other than the Tegra 3 means having to maintain separate drivers and code for each platform you're building on. There's obviously going to be differences in the software for Model S and X, but the less you have to change, the cheaper it is to produce. Since GenIII is going to be a new platform, it makes sense to upgrade then.

I wouldn't expect it until probably the GenIII. Even though it will be very outdated by the time the Model X is produced, building for something other than the Tegra 3 means having to maintain separate drivers and code for each platform you're building on. There's obviously going to be differences in the software for Model S and X, but the less you have to change, the cheaper it is to produce. Since GenIII is going to be a new platform, it makes sense to upgrade then.

timdorr...I agree with your thoughts about the S and X not seeing a change in processor. It would make sense if the GenIII saw the newer chip but TM just may stick with what works. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I agree with idea that TM needs to get LTE in the Model S but that integration may require a faster chip. Only time will tell.

It seems fairly clear that the 3G/4G modem is not integrated with the main processor: we know (from press releases) that Tesla are using Nvidia's VCMl for the two displays, and that module does not contain the radio. Someone posted pictures of a Tesla board with a 3G radio on it, but I think that was from the RAV4EV so not necessarily indicative of the Model S - even so, there's clearly something like that in the Model S. The modem will also need to be different for different markets (specially once you get to 4G).

I fully expect to see upgrades to the chip over the life of the Model S, and hopefully also available as upgrades for existing cars.

The lifecycle of this stuff is just too fast: my phone when I bought it had a very acceptable browser, but shortly I'm going to be forced to upgrade it - even though I was/am completely happy with everything it did, and don't want any new features. The external websites that I use keep upgrading the technologies that they use and so making the experience on my old device intolerably slow, and then disappearing altogether as they switch to stuff that just won't run on this hardware. The same will happen to the browser in the car.

Nvidia's solution for automotive is to put the chip on a module. Obviously it's some effort for Tesla to upgrade their side of the software to a newer module, so they won't necessarily take every step up offered by Nvidia, but they are likely to be forced to do so from time to time within the lifecycle of each car model. Whether they then offer that as an upgrade to existing owners remains to be seen, though if they are doing it already for new production it's relatively easy to offer the upgrade - and they can potentially charge a huge margin. People would probably pay $1000 for the upgrade if it offers a decent step up in functionality - for a part that probably costs < $50.

Reminds me of my LS430 - It came with an analog phone connection for "Lexus Link" (like OnStar). I hated the system and annoying voice prompts every time you started the car. It came with the car when I bought it, and I at least made them include it for free since I never wanted it. Of course that became obsolete within 3 years. They were nice enough to remove it at my request after it was useless and refit the buttons with a blank plate.

It makes you suspect that within 5 years 3G will be obsolete, and the phone companies will be forcing everyone to upgrade to 4G/5G. I expect most car companies will say "buy a new car" if you want to continue using the phone connections, but I have higher hopes that Tesla would offer a 4G (for a fee) upgrade to existing owners. They clearly understand technology changes and are already way ahead of the competition.