Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVIDIA Unveils "First" AI Computer for Level 5 Driverless Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When a couple of Teslas caught fire after having the battery peirced by road debris, a titanium plate was designed to mitigate that problem and those plates were installed on all Teslas. No small expense or feat.

Yeh that was a life safety issue which Tesla would likely been compelled to correct.
Today having FSD is not compulsury, so even though they could upgrade all existing vehicles this would be a long shot. They didn't upgrade (or should I say downgrade) all the AP1 vehicles;)

When a couple of Teslas caught fire after having the battery peirced by road debris, a titanium plate was designed to mitigate that problem and those plates were installed on all Teslas. No small expense or feat.

So, then something as simple as adding storage to my Model S to play songs locally from the MCU (a feature promised to us prior to launch) should be trivial then eh? I'm still waiting.

Look, I love Tesla, but they have (and likely will) make decisions by weighing cost/benefit to them as a company. Never hold your breath.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Topher and davidc18

From the graphic shown above related to NVIDIAs presentation, the Model 3 would not even have the locations for the sensors needed for L5 autonomy.

So, unless you are going to duct-tape sensors to your car or some elegant aftermarket solution shows up it's just not realistically going to happen.

Remember that Tesla have had a lot of engineers and the chief executive over their auto-pilot efforts depart in the last six months. This is very likely due to disagreements over what Elon Musk says they are going to do and what is actually possible to do.

I wonder when cars will be able to follow verbal directions from authorities like that. Not any time soon.

They accept verbal directions NOW. Not sure what you think is hard here.

Yeh that was a life safety issue which Tesla would likely been compelled to correct.

Like all the other car manufacturers are compelled to fix their mistakes which actually kill people? There were 177,000 car fires in 2015 and 445 deaths thereby (U.S. only). I don't see anything happening to compel car makers to fix anything.

Thank you kindly.

They accept verbal directions NOW. Not sure what you think is hard here.

Give me a break. The level of extremely simple verbal commands understood now is so far removed from being able to understand these sorts of free form multi-step directions it's not even funny.

And that's not even the tricky part of the problem. OK, first this is somebody outside the car telling the car to do something. Second, it's somebody outside the car telling it to do something illegal and potentially fatal (drive the wrong way on a freeway). How does it decide to obey such a command?

Last edited:
Tesla’s FSDC has more factual value. It sure isn’t just marketing blabla.
Blank+_ba7205939ea5d643128b80f136ce216c.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Max* and conman
2 points:

• 400 CPUs / basically 10 racks of servers / about 20.000 watts, shrunk down to 500 W

Is anyone else thinking about the range impact of that kind of power draw?

Second, while Tesla could just refund FSD purchasers their money instead of upgrading their hardware if they can't deliver, it would be VERY hard to save face while doing so. I don't think the Tesla brand would be willing to take on that amount of negative press. The only way I see it happening is if they give up, blame regulations. But, again, Tesla is a leader, so I don't see them giving up here.

Is 500W a big draw? That’s 0.5kWh if it uses max power for an hour.

Compared to the consumption on a drive, say 300Wh/mi. Assume you drive at 60mph that’s 0.3kWh * 60mi = 18kWh for an hour of drive on the road.

• 400 CPUs / basically 10 racks of servers / about 20.000 watts, shrunk down to 500 W
Is anyone else thinking about the range impact of that kind of power draw?

500/250 = 2 miles of range lost per hour of driving. At 50 MPH 50 * 250 = 12.5 kw per hour 75 kw usable pack = 6 hours * 2 = 12 miles of range usage out of 300 driven, so 4%.

Doesn't seem bad. What does current AP HW draw, since that will offset.

P.S. like @outie said

edit: typos in P.S.

Give me a break. The level of extremely simple verbal commands understood now is so far removed from being able to understand these sorts of free form multi-step directions it's not even funny.

But it doesn't NEED to get those instructions. "This road is closed. Reroute."

How does it decide to obey such a command?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but law enforcement will have a system of override on autonomous cars.

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
Reactions: jhs_7645

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but law enforcement will have a system of override on autonomous cars.

Thank you kindly.

Where did you see this news? It would be interesting to see what kind of override you have heard about. Does it allow for the law enforcement officer to take control of the vehicle via some remote control, or do they get behind the wheel. What about cars that don't have steering wheels? Will there be a backdoor that law enforcement will install as part of a deal with the manufacturers? Will this be modifiable by the owner, is this legislation in process or has it passed already.. Is it at the state or local level.

Please do tell..

Last edited:

Maybe you missed the part where the accident happened 100 yards in front of me. Closing the freeway without any exits between me and the accident. Cars ahead of me, cars behind, no way to go anywhere until the highway patrol gave instructions. A couple cars unable to follow instructions and nobody would have been going anywhere until tow trucks came to remove them.

Thank you kindly.

Gee, where does that exist in the supposedly FSD ready Model 3? Where are the regulations laying out how that will work, the specifications that the car manufacturers must follow, the devices that law enforcement will use? I mean, if this is coming in the next couple years that must all already exist, right?

Gee, where does that exist in the supposedly FSD ready Model 3? Where are the regulations laying out how that will work, the specifications that the car manufacturers must follow, the devices that law enforcement will use? I mean, if this is coming in the next couple years that must all already exist, right?

In an OTA update coming to a Tesla near you soon.. (joking.. sort of)

Sooner or later Law enforcement will want to have this ability. Will your politicians allow it?
Will the three letter agencies just plant a programmer on the Telsa software team to install backdoors without getting govt approval or publically announcing the fact? Just think how much the NSA/FBI/CIA would love to have every parked Tesla (and other capable vehicles) running facial recognition on every passing pedestrian. Or number plate reading software. Would make hunting fugitives a lot easier. Wait for next big terrorist incident and it wouldn't be hard to convince Trump that he needs to give them this ability.. Hopefully your Supreme court would strike it down.

Yeah GPUs far out perform a CPU at a given TDP - hence the 400 CPUs comment from NV marketing.
If you follow NVIDIA, you'll quickly realize they over promise and underdeliver - and that the next gen is always 10x better...

Problem with these bleeding edge cars - something better is always around the corner...