Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVME Drive setup walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try going the nvme route. The r/w speeds are much faster to/from pc.
After my first try with the USB-A cable, I tried the USB-C cable and the speed was very high! But does this mean that the USB-A cable is not fast enough that it even can't copy a few songs? And yes I have a USB 3.0/3.1 port which I use for other devices too but never experienced this problem.

After my first try with the USB-A cable, I tried the USB-C cable and the speed was very high! But does this mean that the USB-A cable is not fast enough that it even can't copy a few songs? And yes I have a USB 3.0/3.1 port which I use for other devices too but never experienced this problem.
USB 2.0 is 480Mbps... so yea its really slow, thus use the faster cable/protocol.

From Samsung's website the T7 is rated for USB3.2, I'd look for a USB-C cable that supports that and have your computer negotiate speed with the T7. This way the bottle neck is not the cable.

Reactions: DM231191
Can anyone with a working setup please confirm which enclosure or enclosure chipset they’re using? I just went down this road with the sabrent enclosure that supposedly has the rtl9210b chipset which is supposed to be the same as the inateck enclosure the OP posted as working however the car is extremely flaky working with it many dropouts per day and even corrupting files as they’re being written. Tried with usb-a in the glovebox and usbc in 2022 plaid with amd computer.

The sabrent enclosure was never recommended, think you are confusing what a poster went with and had problems with. The enclosure I use is linked in the OP. In any case these two work below...

Thanks for the info, sorry if my original post was confusing I didn't mean to imply anyone recommended the sabrent enclosure I just decided to give it a try because I liked the design. At least according to amazon comments there is confusion as to whether the sabrent has the rtl9210 or rtl9210b chipset. The linked enclosure from @thesmokingman has the rtl9210b chipset according to amazon comments. Anyways, inateck enclosure is ordered will see if it helps, hopefully it has a different chipset or there is some other secret sauce that allows it to function reliably. I'll report back if it doesn't just in case there's some weirdness with my particular car. :)

Reactions: thesmokingman
Just wanted to post an update for anyone who may find it useful. I've now tried the Sabrent and Inateck enclosures using a 1TB SK Hynix P31 Gold nvme ssd in my 2022 Model S Plaid with Ryzen. I've confirmed with HWinfo64 that the Sabrent uses the RTL9210 chipset while the Inateck uses the RTL9210b chipset. Unfortunately neither enclosure is stable. The car will record dash cam footage for a few seconds then start corrupting footage, then recording stops for a bit before resuming once again. Cycle & repeat endlessly. Testing both enclosures with the same drive on my desktop computer under Windows 11 and Arch Linux they both perform flawlessly so sadly this is some kind of incompatibility with the car and either these external enclosures or the nvme ssd. I even found the latest firmware update for the RTL9210 chipset in the Sabrent enclosure and applied it with no change in behavior with the car.

Just wanted to post an update for anyone who may find it useful. I've now tried the Sabrent and Inateck enclosures using a 1TB SK Hynix P31 Gold nvme ssd in my 2022 Model S Plaid with Ryzen. I've confirmed with HWinfo64 that the Sabrent uses the RTL9210 chipset while the Inateck uses the RTL9210b chipset. Unfortunately neither enclosure is stable. The car will record dash cam footage for a few seconds then start corrupting footage, then recording stops for a bit before resuming once again. Cycle & repeat endlessly. Testing both enclosures with the same drive on my desktop computer under Windows 11 and Arch Linux they both perform flawlessly so sadly this is some kind of incompatibility with the car and either these external enclosures or the nvme ssd. I even found the latest firmware update for the RTL9210 chipset in the Sabrent enclosure and applied it with no change in behavior with the car.
That's unfortunate. I would assume that it's not the enclosure but your specific drive since we have examples of the Inatek enclosure working in the field. Not all drives are compatible though, like for ex. I found the Sabrent Gen 4 drive is not compatible with the either of the enclosures I have in basic PC use, so I didn't even bother with testing it further. Do you have a different drive to test?

I'm running a hynix p31, but I'm using a ineo enclosure with ASM2362 chipset. No issues with AMD system. If you're dead set on the p31, you can try this active cool enclosure.

Ineo enclosure with active cooling
Awesome thanks for the heads up! Sure i'll grab that one and see how it goes, not much to lose and at this point I'm pretty curious. I can return the other enclosures and got a good deal on the p31 on prime day so I would like to use it if possible.

I have a 2022 M3 so I have to mount mine in the glovebox. I know the OP used a glovebox divider, I don’t like the look of these so was thinking of using a Velcro pad but not sure that will work in the glovebox 🤔
I used Velcro pad to attach mine. I created my own version, used 3M bonding tape on the Velcro to the glovebox. the 3M bonds stronger to the glove box than the Velcro sticky tape. Mine hasn't come off during the summer months.

I still use a divider to sperate things and isolate the drive since I have active cooling fan on my enclosure.

You could always just get a slightly longer cable and have the drive simply sitting there at the bottom of the glove box. If you're worried about sliding, you could just put it next to the service manual, your registration info, etc. and wedge it there. A bit of movement with the drive won't really hurt anything and since they're solid state. As long as your cable has enough slack, the jostling around and sliding will have negligible effect. If you really want to stop the sliding, a cheap easy fix is just to affix some sandpaper or one of those friction pads meant to go under the couch legs to keep them from shifting.