Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Amp Power Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found the issue. Stupid *sugar* didn’t reconnect the ground cable

now I have no idea where this supposed to be connected to hahaha. It’s a short ground cable about 12” in length I think.

View attachment 623911
Sweet! Good job. Now just gotta find the bare stud somewhere behind the carpeting that they were supposed to attach it to. Just needs to be a stud that is not painted and is attached to bare metal. It’s gotta be close by so you should be back up and running soon.

Reactions: smilepak
Sweet! Good job. Now just gotta find the bare stud somewhere behind the carpeting that they were supposed to attach it to. Just needs to be a stud that is not painted and is attached to bare metal. It’s gotta be close by so you should be back up and running soon.
Thanks for the help. So I can connect it anywhere in the metal frame under the carpet?

No idea. But I did notice they had disconnected my rear trunk lights for something. I had to bring it back for them to look at it and return a milwakee driver they left behind.
Strange indeed. Maybe the liftgate wasn’t working properly after the upgrade. The control units for both struts are on the right side of the trunk ahead of the sub. Hard to say.

Thanks. That’ll be an interesting fishing expedition to find where that bolt is.

If I recall, there is a bolt already in place that is suitable for grounding. I think (but I cant recall) its the one I used. I installed my sub/amp over on the drivers side. When I lifted up the carpet to expose the area over the rear wheel well I believe I grounded somewhere under that area. I think.

Post #2 here

Locating Amplifier in Trunk

Last edited:
  • Informative
If I recall, there is a bolt already in place that is suitable for grounding. I think (but I cant recall) its the one I used. I installed my sub/amp over on the drivers side. When I lifted up the carpet to expose the area over the rear wheel well I believe I grounded somewhere under that area. I think.

Post #2 here

Locating Amplifier in Trunk
Thanks. Mine is on the right side.
So do I need to bolt it to existing bolt that is connected to ground cable already or can be any hole on the frame?

You can use any hole on the Frame. The Frame of the Car is basically one big ground cable. If you check the 12 volt battery you will see that the negative post just connects to the frame of the car.

Just make sure that the connection is very tight. A loose connection can cause high resistance and cause issues...
Thank.

Connected to the car body frame right below the carpet. To bar that separate the middle dip and right pocket.

check meter and now get 12v power when test red on 12v and black on ground at the amp screw. Amp still not on. I wonder if I need to connect the ground to one of the screw that is connected to the main car ground. Will try that this weekend.

Thank.

Connected to the car body frame right below the carpet. To bar that separate the middle dip and right pocket.

check meter and now get 12v power when test red on 12v and black on ground at the amp screw. Amp still not on. I wonder if I need to connect the ground to one of the screw that is connected to the main car ground. Will try that this weekend.
I f the Battery is grounded to the Frame (which we know it is because the car will not power up without it). The Amp only needs to be connect to the chassis/frame. If you are now getting power at the Amp, it is either not seeing a signal to Amplify or you have an Amp issue, one if the two small fuses on the Amp are blow or the Amp is dead. Do you have music playing in the car when you are looking for Amps lights to come on? Many Amps will not power on until they see a signal to Amplify.

Last edited:
I f the Battery is grounded to the Frame (which we know it is because the car will not power up without it). The Amp only needs to be connect to the chassis/frame. If you are now getting power at the Amp, it is either not seeing a signal to Amplify or you have an Amp issue, one if the two small fuses on the Amp are blow or the Amp is dead. Do you have music playing in the car when you are looking for Amps lights to come on? Many Amps will not power on until they see a signal to Amplify.
I guess both of you might be right. The amp might be dead lol. After all of that.

I reconnected the ground and tied to the bolt that hand ground wires to it. It the same bundle that ground the lift gate.

meter test red on 12V and black on ground at the amp screw, I get around 12-14v.

then test red to remote screw and black on ground screw, zero

So at least confirmed power is coming to the amp input.

the two fuses inside the amp are both good

so at this point either amp is dead or no signal to turn it on.

I traced the line from the amp input back to the front of the car under the glove box, there is a converter of some sort, it show it has power and there is a glowing red light. I have not traced where the remote line from the amp goes to yet.

Last edited:
Ok finally fixed the issue. This has been an interesting process. Much thanks to everyone helping and pointing to the right direction.

first issue was the ground cable was not connected. So finally connected that.

Then when tracing the remote line back to the car, the converter was not fully seated in the socket. I guess when they replaced the MCU, the didn’t reseat it properly.
Now I get base again!!

Yay!!!!!

Before declaring the Amp dead. Take your volt ohm meter and set it to the lowest DC voltage. Turn the gain up on your display so that you should be getting an output. Check the voltage across the 2 inputs for your signal. It should be reading a few volts.

Do you have a computer Speaker? If so, instead of sending the inputs into the Amp, the tip of a miniature phono plug is Channel 1, the first barrel is Channel 2 and the ground is the closest barrel to the cable. You should be able to hold one wire to the tip and one wire to either barrel and get some if there is a signal...