Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Subwoofer vs 4 light harmonic door speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the standard audio system in my MS and im looking to upgrade. Ive researched the postings on this board on this subject and they were helpful, but i didnt see an answer to the following questions. I listen to music with alot of bass at times, but i also listen to classical, jazz, and pretty much all genres of music. Im looking for the upgrade to give me more kick in the bass and a nice clean sound. Can I get that from;
1. Only replacing the four door speakers with the light harmonic package? OR
2. Keeping the stock door speakers and adding an NVX sub
Im assuming that the best case scenario would be to replace all of the door speakers and add the sub, but i was wondering if i coud get away with one of the listed options and still walk away with a great sound system.
Also, are the door speakers as easy as some are making it out to be?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

I replaced the front door speakers (160mm) with the premium speakers (200mm) and noticed a little more midbass. Got them off eBay. If you search on here there's no point to replace rear speakers.

Then I added a custom box with a 10" sub in the rear. You can do something custom or something like the NVX.

Overall, very happy with what I have now.

I have standard audio setup as well. I replaced the door speakers with the LH speakers and it was a huge upgrade. That being said, I am in no way satisfied and have been looking for good options to replace the dash and tweeter speakers as well as add a sub and amp(s

I added NVX sub + LH speakers to the front. Pretty useless to have them in the back.

The audio is way way better now. Also came from the "standard" sounds sytem. It sounds better than the premium one now, in my opinion.

For the speakers it's an easy DIY, basically plug and play.

For the sub, I would take it to a shop that knows that they are doing.

I had a 2017 with standard audio. I added the NVX sub myself. Was fairly straightforward if you've ever done any car audio, hardwiring radar detector before, etc. Patience was key. If you've NEVER done car audio or any of the sort, might be best to let an audio shop handle.

It made a YUGE difference in my enjoyment of the audio of the car. and the install was very, very clean/neat/OEM looking.

I had a 2017 with standard audio. I added the NVX sub myself. Was fairly straightforward if you've ever done any car audio, hardwiring radar detector before, etc. Patience was key. If you've NEVER done car audio or any of the sort, might be best to let an audio shop handle.

It made a YUGE difference in my enjoyment of the audio of the car. and the install was very, very clean/neat/OEM looking.
I have a 2017 also. How's the rattle situation with the sub?

I worry that adding a sub will result in a ton of rattle since I don't think the sound insulation for 2017 is as good as the newer year models, but I could be wrong.

I have a 2017 also. How's the rattle situation with the sub?

I worry that adding a sub will result in a ton of rattle since I don't think the sound insulation for 2017 is as good as the newer year models, but I could be wrong.
I had no rattles with the NVX sub. It mounts snugly and has the adjustable gain knob that you mount in the cabin. The accompanying amp in the NVX kit is powerful, and I never had my knob turned more than roughly 20%. So good, clean sound. Im sure I would have had some rattle if I turned it up high.
This was the kit I had

I had no rattles with the NVX sub. It mounts snugly and has the adjustable gain knob that you mount in the cabin. The accompanying amp in the NVX kit is powerful, and I never had my knob turned more than roughly 20%. So good, clean sound. Im sure I would have had some rattle if I turned it up high.
This was the kit I had

Thanks, I'm just surprised because I have the LH door speakers and if i turn up the bass i get rattles.

Thanks again all! I stopped by the carmax near my home today since they always have good amount of Teslas on the lot, and the doors are always unlocked. I sat in a 2019 MS performance and tested the sound system....WHOA! The sound system in that car was incredible. Im not sure if the speakers were upgraded or if that's just what the premium system sounds like.

When you all mention the NVX subwoofer, are you referring to the $499 sub, or the $899 kit (this one isnt in stock at the moment).

Thanks again all! I stopped by the carmax near my home today since they always have good amount of Teslas on the lot, and the doors are always unlocked. I sat in a 2019 MS performance and tested the sound system....WHOA! The sound system in that car was incredible. Im not sure if the speakers were upgraded or if that's just what the premium system sounds like.

When you all mention the NVX subwoofer, are you referring to the $499 sub, or the $899 kit (this one isnt in stock at the moment).
Probably just the stock premium audio. Definitely a big difference in my opinion.

The $500 is just the sub and box. The $900 is also the wiring and amp. Most people will just get the kit unless you want to piece it all together.