Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Subwoofer vs 4 light harmonic door speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jpandes...What Model Focal did you use?
They arent the super expensive ones. I think they are the Focal ES 165K components. I have had them sitting in my garage for years. I never installed them in my C5 Z06. I did have to 3d print and customize some speaker mounts: Tesla Model S Front Door Speaker Mount by scotthi. I haven't installed them yet, but I test fitted them and I think they will work.

IMO the NVX is worth the coin. I have installed stereo equipment in every car I've owned, but I outsourced the amps' wiring to a shop that has done several Teslas. The speakers and sub install were pretty straightforward.

If you do upgrade the door speakers, I would not bother with the rear speakers; they contribute so little to the overall sound. I originally upgraded mine and then went back to stock as I could not tell the difference.

I definitely had resonance after installing the sub. Treating the hatch and doors with RAAMmat and ensolite foam made a big difference. This is also something you can likely do yourself, though it is fairly time consuming. Buy extra body clips as you'll inevitably break some even if you are being careful.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Following up on this.
I took my car to a reputable local audio place near my home. After sitting in my car with me for about 20 minutes or so to listen to the current sound, and to listen to the genres of music i listen to, desired output volume, etc, the installer recommended a set of focal door speakers, and tweeters (ill provide a link below). He also recommended a custom made sub box that will fit in the cubby spot either on the left or right side where a subwoofer is housed in the cars with premium sound. He would add a JL subwoofer to the box. Total cost would be close to $2000 (including install). The installer said that the most expensive part of the install will be the sub box since it will be custom made. The installer attempted to find an enclosure that would fit in that cubby space, but couldnt so he said that he would need to build it.

Currently, the NVX box is sold out, and from what ive been told, the JL sub will be much better. My question to you all is, would I be ok with just the new door speakers? The installer said that adding the sub would make a huge difference, but it was completely up to me. What say you all?

Following up on this.
I took my car to a reputable local audio place near my home. After sitting in my car with me for about 20 minutes or so to listen to the current sound, and to listen to the genres of music i listen to, desired output volume, etc, the installer recommended a set of focal door speakers, and tweeters (ill provide a link below). He also recommended a custom made sub box that will fit in the cubby spot either on the left or right side where a subwoofer is housed in the cars with premium sound. He would add a JL subwoofer to the box. Total cost would be close to $2000 (including install). The installer said that the most expensive part of the install will be the sub box since it will be custom made. The installer attempted to find an enclosure that would fit in that cubby space, but couldnt so he said that he would need to build it.

Currently, the NVX box is sold out, and from what ive been told, the JL sub will be much better. My question to you all is, would I be ok with just the new door speakers? The installer said that adding the sub would make a huge difference, but it was completely up to me. What say you all?

$330 for custom enclosure

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
IMO the NVX is worth the coin. I have installed stereo equipment in every car I've owned, but I outsourced the amps' wiring to a shop that has done several Teslas. The speakers and sub install were pretty straightforward.

If you do upgrade the door speakers, I would not bother with the rear speakers; they contribute so little to the overall sound. I originally upgraded mine and then went back to stock as I could not tell the difference.

I definitely had resonance after installing the sub. Treating the hatch and doors with RAAMmat and ensolite foam made a big difference. This is also something you can likely do yourself, though it is fairly time consuming. Buy extra body clips as you'll inevitably break some even if you are being careful.
For the rear door speakers, couldn't they be powered by the input from the front speakers?

I am aware of the fact that for some reason the signal going to the rear speakers has little punch, but if using an aftermarket amp can't you get around that problem?

I have LH speakers in the rear doors so was hoping an installer could do what I said above so they could operate like normal door speakers. Maybe that is not an option? I am not a car audio expert.

I would go with the custom enclosure that brico84 linked to if you can't get your hands on the NVX. I have their speaker mounts and they seemed fine, though they are not the most responsive group. I don't think the JL will really sound materially better than the NVX.

What amp(s) are you going to be running? You'll at least need one for the sub.

Focal makes good speakers, though I have not heard the Flax. At 4 ohms, you'll really want an aftermarket amp to drive them. The stock speakers are 2 ohm so you'll have half the available power to the Focals, especially if they wire the crossover into the doors and drive both the tweeter and midbass off the single door channel. They're pretty efficient speakers, but an amp will still make a good difference. The biggest improvement in

As for the rear speakers, yes, with a good amp/dsp you can run them off the front speakers' input, but really there's not much need for the rear speakers to be playing full range anyway. Most sound should be up front. Better money is spent by installing a good midrange driver up front, even if you just use the stock location. It made the biggest difference in sound staging. Least? Midbass upgrades.

$330 for custom enclosure

This is the box I have. He's local and a long time friend of mine. There's a couple of my vehicles on his youtube channel.
IMG_0081.JPG

I would go with the custom enclosure that brico84 linked to if you can't get your hands on the NVX. I have their speaker mounts and they seemed fine, though they are not the most responsive group. I don't think the JL will really sound materially better than the NVX.

What amp(s) are you going to be running? You'll at least need one for the sub.

Focal makes good speakers, though I have not heard the Flax. At 4 ohms, you'll really want an aftermarket amp to drive them. The stock speakers are 2 ohm so you'll have half the available power to the Focals, especially if they wire the crossover into the doors and drive both the tweeter and midbass off the single door channel. They're pretty efficient speakers, but an amp will still make a good difference. The biggest improvement in

As for the rear speakers, yes, with a good amp/dsp you can run them off the front speakers' input, but really there's not much need for the rear speakers to be playing full range anyway. Most sound should be up front. Better money is spent by installing a good midrange driver up front, even if you just use the stock location. It made the biggest difference in sound staging. Least? Midbass upgrades.
This is incredibly helpful information Beatle!

Wow! that's super clean! What's your setup? Did you also upgrade the door speakers? And how much did your installer charge for the sub box?

Audiomobile GTS 10” subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate R2-500X1 Amplifier

I just swapped the front door speakers to the larger Premium speakers. I installed everything myself as I've done car audio/video for the 25 years. That link others posted is how much the box cost.

Update: I had the NVX sub installed and it sounds great! Gives new life to the sounds system. However, the sub also exposes how weak the other speakers are. Since Light Harmonic is running a holiday weekend sale, plus 10% off, I decided to order them and will install them soon. My issue is that the highs arent as crisp or cleas as I would like. I guess replacing the tweeters would solve this, but im hoping the light harmonics will give me more highs than I have now. Thoughts? Brico84, what do you feel is missing since you mentioned not being completly happy with your set up.

Update: I had the NVX sub installed and it sounds great! Gives new life to the sounds system. However, the sub also exposes how weak the other speakers are. Since Light Harmonic is running a holiday weekend sale, plus 10% off, I decided to order them and will install them soon. My issue is that the highs arent as crisp or cleas as I would like. I guess replacing the tweeters would solve this, but im hoping the light harmonics will give me more highs than I have now. Thoughts? Brico84, what do you feel is missing since you mentioned not being completly happy with your set up.
I have limited time and have a number of things i am working on (i.e. planning to install electric frunk from evoffer this weekend), but I did purchase tweeters a few months ago and do plan to install them at some point this summer.

I plan to reevaluate after that.

Reactions: Durwood101
Im glad you are happy with the NVX sub, I recently did it as well and it does indeed make a tremendous difference in the stock system. I followed the advice of another forum member and replaced the front 2 speakers with some of these:

Infinity Kappa 62IX 6.5​

Another bump in performance.....unfortunately, the biggest upgrade came when I pulled all the doors and hatch off to sound deaden everything because of rattles and noise that naturally comes in from the outside........that was the biggest difference because getting rid of noise inside the cabin allowed some of the nuances in music to come through. If you have the time and courage, doing the doors is a big upgrade in sound quality equal to the subwoofer.

Im glad you are happy with the NVX sub, I recently did it as well and it does indeed make a tremendous difference in the stock system. I followed the advice of another forum member and replaced the front 2 speakers with some of these:

Infinity Kappa 62IX 6.5​

Another bump in performance.....unfortunately, the biggest upgrade came when I pulled all the doors and hatch off to sound deaden everything because of rattles and noise that naturally comes in from the outside........that was the biggest difference because getting rid of noise inside the cabin allowed some of the nuances in music to come through. If you have the time and courage, doing the doors is a big upgrade in sound quality equal to the subwoofer.

I actually don't have the NVX Sub (or any sub) installed yet. I will at some point but don't want to install it myself. I am still looking for a reasonably priced competent installer in my area.

You might be interested in these.... I BELIEVE these should work for the tweeters as a wire harness.

I bought them but haven't had a chance to install the yet. Just finished my frunk installation and need to do a full Zaino before i move on to speaker stuff, so looking at a July or august install.

Infinity Kappa 62IX 6.5​

Durwood, could you share your experience in installing the deadening material, what's involved, the cost, and where you purchased the material? Thank you. I ordered some door speakers and they should arrive tomorrow so im planning to install the door speakers this weekend.

I had a rough time doing it, im glad I dont have to do it again......its tedious. I ended up using Roadkill sound deadener. I found a good deal on Amazon and it was not absurdly expensive. Its Stinger RKX36B roadkill expert series. It cost $117 for 36 sq feet, which was plenty for all 4 doors and the hatch. I also need to eventually do the wheel wells but will do that another weekend. There is another thread that talks about another forum member ripping the entire car apart and sound deadening EVERYTHING. And although that would be more than I could ever hope to do given my limited time and skillsets, I did manage to tap a few guys who gave me some advice including how not to pull that hatch off.......there is a cable that is rather short so when u do get around to doing it, just be careful. The hatch u really need two guys to put it back because the sound deadener once added makes it a helluva lot heavier. It was a major hassle getting it up above ur head and positioned so you can connect the "speaker cable" that notifies u when the hatch is opening/closing. The doors were relatively easy, but after removing each door, the clips dont easily snap back in to keep the panel from popping out repeatedly. I eventually ended up having Tesla give some some new ones and that fixed it. Amazon has some turquoise colored ones that other forum guys said would work, but they just didnt have the "hold" power that the white ones that Tesla gave me did comparatively. Thats about all I can tell you! Good luck. Once you do it, u will be grateful you did, it just makes the car sound better acoustically, but it makes the cockpit waaaay quieter as I said above. Even my wife noticed it right away, so that was proof enough because she doesnt pay attention to most things I do that have an improvement in my car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SilverGS