TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NW High Amp Charging and Sun Country Highway

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Puyallup Bill, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

With the forecast of great weather, we took off on a little trip to check out a bit of the Canadian Sun Country Highway. The daily distance traveled in four days is only about 225 miles, but the trip was meant to be leisurely. Although we never drove below the posted limit, we were for sure the slowest car in British Columbia.

910 actual miles, 963 rated miles, 268 kWh, 294 W/mile
    With the exception of what we left home with, all charging was free.

Home to OmakWA
    Puyallup to Burlington Supercharger, lunch at Bob’s. Very nice drive across the North Cascades Highway. Stopped in Winthrop to check out the CS-90 at the Pine Near RV Park. The owners are a very friendly young (to us) couple and we had a very nice visit. He is originally from Youngstown OH and we once lived there for three years, so we had fun swapping stories. I put him behind the wheel for a short drive – he liked it. He commented that another S driver said the car was ‘wickedly fast’. That you ChadS?

The Omak Inn is clean and well maintained and a bargain at $84 including tax. Charged at the CS-90 while having dinner, then set the timer to restart shortly before our planned departure. Dinner at the next door Koala Grill was fine.

Kudos to JackA and the NCW High Amp L2 Charging Project.

Omak to Kamloops, BC
    Nice drive – we have not traveled that part of the country. We were the only vehicle at the highway 97 border crossing, and sat at a red stop light for a few minutes wondering what the delay was. When it turned green, the officer said he was sorry, but didn’t hear us pull up (must have been reading or maybe dozing). Nice little chat about the car, standard border questions, and on our way.

Stopped at the Kelowna Best Western for lunch and a charge. On first blush, it looked like the CS-90 was ICEd, but managed to park where the long cable reached. A hotel employee stopped for a chat. After thanking him, I said I didn’t mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but signage sure would be nice. He said that was in works. A CS-90 is located on either side of the main entrance, another around the side of the building.

We arrived at the Kamloops Holiday Inn early on a holiday, so the CS-90 was not yet ICEd. To explain. The EVSE is mounted on the away face of a canopy support pillar. It is accessible from two parking slots, but there is no signage, and the equipment is not visible as you pull into the slots. Since they are right at the front entrance, they will be ICEd.

I don’t use a cell phone in Canada, except for an emergency, so I left my name on the dash so a person could contact me through the desk clerk. At 10 PM in my PJs, enjoying a bit of adult beverage, the phone rang. A model S with 30 km remaining range needed help. I threw on a pair of jeans and a jacket and went down to see what could be done. I was not fully charged, planning to finish in the morning, and was reluctant to give up the parking slot, as the S was planning to leave quite early and it would probably get ICEd. Solution: He parked next to the pillar, blocking me but no other car. Those notes on the dash are important – if both slots were ICEd, good luck on getting one identified and moved. Signage really needed there.

kamloops.jpg

Kamloops to Chilliwack BC
    What a nice drive down the Frazier River Valley. Very light traffic and good weather. Stopped at Hope BC for lunch at Joe’s. CS-90 on the street a stones throw from restaurants. Could have made it to Chilliwack without, but I never pass up a chance to charge while on a road trip. Nice little town.

hope2.jpg hope1.jpg

Upon arriving at the Chilliwack Best Western, circled the building looking for the EVSE. Nada. Desk clerk informs us it is located in the building, and she will send someone around to provide access. Sure enough a maintenance man arrived and pushed the J1772 nozzle out a little door. He said it had to be mounted at that location because of the wiring, and since it was a sort of isolated spot, they figured the cable would disappear rather quickly. I really didn’t care to leave the car there, so after dinner moved to the front of the hotel. Had plenty to get to Burlington.

Chilliwack to home
    Fifty five minutes at the Sumas border crossing. Stopped in Bellingham for lunch with our son, then coffee at the Burlington SC, and home via highway 9 to 522 and 405. We enjoy 9, and even though it was 4 PM, traffic was very light. Easy trip home, except for Bellevue around 5 PM or so.

2. ORWA

ORWA Member

Sounds like a fun trip! Thanks for sharing the details.

3. TeslaSinHR

TeslaSinHR Member

Nice report. Thanks.