TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NXP bluebox achive level 4 autonomy driving

Discussion in 'Model S' started by taoh2, May 18, 2016.

1. taoh2

taoh2 Member

NXP demo its bluebox solution for level 4 autonomy driving, I believe tesla current autopilot is only level 2.5
    in press releases, it mention that some customer take only few month to integrate bluebox into real car.

it seems NXP is way ahead of anyone else

• Dislike x 2
  2. luca

luca Banned

My lab can demo it 10 years ago

lol

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

There is no level 2.5.

Tesla is level 2.

4. eloder

eloder Member

Google was "way ahead" of Tesla six years ago.

Strange how Tesla is the only automaker with anything remotely close to this superior level of autonomy on the roads!

• Like x 1
  5. Vitold

Vitold Member

Nothing to see here folks:

NXP said four of the top five largest carmakers are already working on the BlueBox platform. Most of these cars will be released around the 2020 timeframe.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Erandhawa

Erandhawa Member

I think you are looking at things wrong. Tesla is the only car that has decent type of autonomy on the road (way better than adaptive cruise control and lane departure). All these other cars that are waiting till 2020 to release are still working on autonomy. Think about what tesla is probably working on that we are completely unaware of. I am pretty sure they have fully autonomous teslas just not available to the public for legal issues.
    Eloder is 100% correct if everyone is doing so good with autonomy why don't they have at least tesla level autonomy on the roads. Personally I love my ap it works great for my commute I am happy I didn't wait till "2020"

7. csshih

csshih whirrrr

but no videos from 10 years ago? what kind of progress have they made since then?

8. bobjustbob

bobjustbob Elon Musk takes all my money

lol. This reminds of a gentleman I worked with many years ago. He was fond of saying "I've made love to one thousand women... and that was ten years ago!". (Sorry for being so off-topic)

• Funny x 1
  9. Max*

He just didn't want to show you a grainy SD quality video on your new high end 4k display.

Don't worry he'll re-record and in 10 years.... nevermind.

• Funny x 1
  10. taoh2

taoh2 Member

well, Tesla doesn't make chip nor sensor for autonomy driving. Tesla depend on other supply that.
    there are only three company working on autonomy system: mobieye, Nvidia and NXP. (google using a big spin radar, no practical).
    I believe Tesla is using Mobieye system today.

remember Elon talks: high way driving is easy, city is difficulty, actually very difficult. so level 2(tesla today) is easy, Level 4 is Difficult

Tesla is not the first to release autonomy driving, Mercedes S Class roll it out 2014 already, about one year ahead of tesla.

Mercedes system is not up gradable over the air, nor they allow hand free more than 15 second. but that is purely a decision of Mercedes.

I believe Mercedes using NXP solution, NXP provide level 1,2 system for over 30 million car around the world. today, Mercedes system is better than tesla in some area Today, like prdestrain recognition

certainly no one stop here, everyone will race to the level 4 or 5. obviously, most of the car makers using one of three.Mobileye, Nvidia, NXP solution,

and today, NXP is the best of the three:

they are the one has the complete system, including sensor, chip, software, and it is open plateform.
    their system is the most cost effective and low power. Nvidia driverX burn 250W, while NXP 40w which is fanless. low power mean reliable.
    they are the provider of Advance Driver system to auto industry for the passing year, that tells a lot

the question is if NXP want to support tesla since their volume is so low. they only made 50,000 while other made million

Apple Supplier NXP May Beat Tesla Partner Nvidia To Autonomous Car

11. Max*

There is no level 5.

Some places use 4a and 4b, where 4a is full autonomous and 4b is fully autonomous plus car2car communication.

12. taoh2

taoh2 Member

level 5 car don't have steering wheel. yes, there is level 5 definition

13. Max*