Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Guilderland, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone met a Tesla representative responsible for supercharger rollout in the northeast at the Merritt Parkway northbound supercharger. They said that the Albany supercharger will be at Colonie Center, that equipment has already been staged to start construction, and they are waiting on lease papers being signed.
Colonie Center is a pretty good choice. I would love to have had it last fall when I drove Boston to Blue Mountain Lake (280 miles). Going there would only have added 3 miles to the trip, so pretty decent location.

For those who care about a healthy food option here is the article about A Whole Foods opening at Colonie Center:

Whole Foods shapes up - Times Union

It makes sense for Tesla to locate SC locations near high end food markets and stores. If not for the Tesla owners themselves, then for the exposure gained to people who frequent these establishments and can afford buying a Tesla.

Last edited:
Albany charger ?

Does this charger require a special adapter??? This is important since I plan to use in 2 wks. Any more info is helpful! Thx

QUOTE=dratifk;544590]Sorry Guys. Here is more info. Ron Donated 2 Sun Country Highway Chargers. HE is a NEuro Radiologist in Buffalo. He also has one going in - in Hamilton NY. These are 90 amp chargers which should charge between 50-60 Miles/hour

Here is a Map:

https://suncountryhighway.ca/ev-trip-planner/#.Us1gxfRDvAQ

Mansoor Mustafa
General Manager
Best Western Sovereign Hotel
1228 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203
Hotel Phone: 518-489-2981

6555 Old Collamer Rd. S.
East Syracuse, NY 13057
+1 315-437-2761

These are available for anyone to use. Full Discussion Here:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/nys-charging-sites[/QUOTE]

They're J1772 plugs, so you just need your J1772 adapter. To take advantage of the 70A, you also need twin chargers installed. Otherwise you are limited to 40A.

Thanks so much for this. I was planning to use but dont have twin chargers so the closer one at Holiday Inn Express is more likely. I needed to factor in the charge time so your info is very helpful. Thanks again! Someone should clarify that on the plugshare app.

When drawing a continuous load, you can only safely draw 80% of the circuit's rating. So 100A = 80A continuous and 90A = ~70A continuous. J1772 protocol is limited to a max of 80A continuous.

Sorry I'm a bit confused. If j1772 can draw 80amps why do I need twin on board chargers to use this sun charger at 80amps? Thx

Sorry I'm a bit confused. If j1772 can draw 80amps why do I need twin on board chargers to use this sun charger at 80amps? Thx

Each Tesla AC charger is 40A. The Superchargers are apparently lots of them bundled together, which is why they're relatively cheap for Tesla to make. (When people say the S is a rich man's toy, they clearly don't understand how hard Tesla works on cost reduction and scalability).

Last edited:

The limiting factor on how many amps the car can draw is the rating of the car's onboard charger. The Model S comes standard with a 10kW charger. 40A*240V = 9600W (or 9.6kW). With a second onboard charger (20kW), you can pull 80A*240V = 19.2 KW.

For reference, at 120V and 12A, the car pulls 1440W (or 1.44 kW).

Also note that 240V is usually a residential standard. Public charging stations usually run at 208V. So a Model S with single charger may be able to pull a little bit more than 40A at these Sun country chargers, but you won't exceed the 10kW rating of the Model S' charger.

Last edited:
In terms that make better sense to me, and possibly to others, twin chargers means for any ac charging you increase max charging rate from 29 miles per hour to 58.

Regular 120 outlet charges at 3 mph, dryer outlets are 17 mph, and the supercharger (dc) is something like 300.

With the dc supercharger network moving on line so quickly I'm not sure the call for fast ac charging won't become a pretty boutique need. Certainly don't know where it is an at home overnight need, and for traveling supercharges make dual chargers look painfully slow. With the cost of the option it's hard to see the benefit.

Last edited:
Colonie Center Mall is only about 0.6 mile off I-87 (exit 2E) but at that point, 87 is the "Adirondack Northway." The New York Thruway transitions from I-87 to I-90 as it turns west near Albany.

So if you're heading North on I-87 (e.g., to the Adirondacks, Saratoga or Montreal), the Colonie Center Mall would be super convenient. But if you're heading East or West on Route 90 (or heading up the NYT from NYC to Rochester or Buffalo or beyond) then it's slightly less convenient as you need to go about 2 miles on I-87 North to get there from the NY Thruway.

But really it's pretty convenient from either I-87 or I-90. If they do get the approval for a Super Charger at that location, I'll be happy (unless the spots fill up with ICE cars!).

-CB

Last edited:
In terms that make better sense to me, and possibly to others, twin chargers means for any ac charging you increase max charging rate from 29 miles per hour to 58.

Regular 120 outlet charges at 3 mph, dryer outlets are 17 mph, and the supercharger (dc) is something like 300.

With the dc supercharger network moving on line so quickly
It's not moving very quickly in, for example, Canada.

I'm not sure the call for fast ac charging won't become a pretty boutique need.
...which is where the fast AC charging has been extensively deployed by Sun Country Highway.

Certainly don't know where it is an at home overnight need, and for traveling supercharges make dual chargers look painfully slow. With the cost of the option it's hard to see the benefit.
It made my midwinter trip from upstate NY to Michigan possible.

Please note that the entire currently planned deployment of Superchargers will still make it impossible to go west from Upstate NY in midwinter without going through Canada; you can't get from Buffalo to Cleveland on a full charge with the mileage you get in midwinter.