Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Guilderland, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the meeting minutes, the Tesla superchargers for the Colonie Center Mall were, "Defer to Local Consideration and approve as is." I am not sure if the Town of Colonie now has to approve it.

I was just googling to find out what was going on based on what I saw at Colonie Center this week. There are a bunch of wooden crates stamped with the Tesla logo in one corner of the parking lot. They are in the back of the parking lot (closer to Wolf Road than to the mall) at the end where Sears/future Whole Foods stores are. I assume that means there will soon be a charging station.

I was just googling to find out what was going on based on what I saw at Colonie Center this week. There are a bunch of wooden crates stamped with the Tesla logo in one corner of the parking lot. They are in the back of the parking lot (closer to Wolf Road than to the mall) at the end where Sears/future Whole Foods stores are. I assume that means there will soon be a charging station.

Awesome. Could you send over some pictures? Thanks.

This is awesome news! Thanks for joining just to post this!

Sure, I'm about to head that way anyway.

When I googled to find out what the deal was (I figured it was a station), I came across this thread and figured the least I could do was post an update since it seemed y'all would be happy with the news. :) [/COLOR]

If you stick around in here for a while, you'll see how infectious Tesla fever can be, and maybe we can get you to buy one (or maybe the Gen III in a few years).

We're looking forward to the pics, depending on how many crates there are, we might get an idea for how close construction really is... I (for one) am waiting for these chargers to be ready so I can drive from Montreal to NYC on superchargers only.

If you stick around in here for a while, you'll see how infectious Tesla fever can be, and maybe we can get you to buy one (or maybe the Gen III in a few years).

We're looking forward to the pics, depending on how many crates there are, we might get an idea for how close construction really is... I (for one) am waiting for these chargers to be ready so I can drive from Montreal to NYC on superchargers only.

Sorry, I didn't see this until after I'd been by and taken photos, but I think you can infer from the photos the number of crates, though some equipment isn't in crates.

Picture 1: 1 big crate, 2 smaller crates behind it
Picture 2: 2 crates on the right, some uncrated equipment, the crate in left foreground is the same as one in picture 1
Picture 3: Not much of a hole

photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Does anyone know if this will also be a battery swapping station? When are those being rolled out?

I highly doubt Albany will be the first battery swap location. I honestly don't think we'll see this technology in the field. Tesla has shown that its possible but based on the current expectations of its users, its not needed. I think the charging times will decrease in the future which will make the battery swap less important.

Does anyone know if this will also be a battery swapping station? When are those being rolled out?

It won't be. Tesla had said they'd be trialling swapping between LA and SF. However, CARB has now cut the ZEV credits per Tesla from 7 to 4 because it doesn't qualify for fast refueling credits, so there's no longer a financial incentive for Tesla to do the trial. At least now if they do do the trial you can assume they're serious about it.

I highly doubt Albany will be the first battery swap location. I honestly don't think we'll see this technology in the field. Tesla has shown that its possible but based on the current expectations of its users, its not needed. I think the charging times will decrease in the future which will make the battery swap less important.

I'm sure this topic has been covered somewhere, but I'm new to the Tesla boards: If they improve the charging time that MUCH more, won't these batteries degrade due to high speed charging and heat? Isn't this going to cut down on their lifespan significantly?

I am about to put a deposit down on a pre-order for an X.

I just passed by Colonie Center on Wolf Road in Albany (well, Colonie, NY, literally) and saw the superchargers under construction. (Sorry, no pix.) They have the stalls in but it looks like nothing is wired yet.

I am worried about the location, however. It's in a prominent, very popular part of the parking lot. In short, the area I almost never can park in because it is full. I don't know if Tesla or the mall will be able to keep those spaces clear for Tesla charging customers. But if Tesla customers can charge there, they will be very close to food, shopping, etc.

CARB has now cut the ZEV credits per Tesla from 7 to 4 because it doesn't qualify for fast refueling credits, so there's no longer a financial incentive for Tesla to do the trial.

My read on that yesterday was that they could return to a ZEV credit level of 7 if they moved the fast refueling capabilities from a theoretical capability to a real one which they could do if they put battery swapping into practice.

The site is now under construction on Wolf Road in the town of Colonie, at the Colonie Shopping Center, off of exit 24 of the New York Thruway. There are five superchargers on site awaiting installation. I don't know the date of completion, but I saw the gear there and have a photo I will try to post tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen them, too. It's a great location and shouldn't be congested for the present time, because I've spotted no Teslas up here yet.

Great news! We have been anxious about this since we took delivery of our 85 at the end of February. It certainly will be an excellent location. We live in the Adirondacks about 150 miles north of Albany and really need this to open soon so we can do round trips.

Great news! We have been anxious about this since we took delivery of our 85 at the end of February. It certainly will be an excellent location. We live in the Adirondacks about 150 miles north of Albany and really need this to open soon so we can do round trips.

I'm from Canada and can't wait to have this site up and running for my trips to NYC.