TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NY Eve Delivery Event photos

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by n8leon, Jan 3, 2020.

1. n8leon

n8leon Member

fyi, for those that missed the fun.
    This is what I observed, although I got pulled out at Step 3:

01: check in tents
    01 check-in.jpg

02: walking past the showroom to the line
    02 showroom.jpg

03: got in line, heard about a 90 min wait from here
    03 line start.jpg

04: a view of the line from the side at one point
    04 line side.jpg

05: closer view of the line from the side
    05 line side2.jpg

06: getting close to the garage door opening into the Learning Center
    06 line end.jpg

07: inside the learning center, check-in at a table, and then get sent thru the double doors in the background
    07 learning center.jpg

08: out to the showroom, to sit and wait to get called back into the LC
    08 showroom wait.jpg

09: back in the LC, signing docs with a Sales Rep, who takes them over to that Right-side counter for processing
    09 learning center paperwork.jpg

10: Sales Rep takes you out to find your car

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Wow - Thanks for the pics !!! Did you see Elon ?

3. boriszima

boriszima Member

Looked really busy. From one perspective it’s great to see demand. From glass half empty seems like a crappy way to buy a car. Usually you have salesman chasing you on the stealerships haha. Thanks for the photos

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

People sitting around in a large crowd “hoping” to get a Model 3 at full MSRP. Who would have thought.

• Funny x 1
  5. n8leon

n8leon Member

I did not see him. After I got over the shock that I wasn't getting a car, I took the 8:30 factory tour, then I went to the food truck.
    While at the food truck, somebody told me they just saw him in the main lobby, but he was gone.

6. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

amazing, so many people there, so late, on new years eve of all nites!

good that tesla 'tried'. most companies wouldn't even think to do that. I give them credit for the idea and trying.

they just did not predict for this demand. I can't blame them for that, either.

it sucks that people didn't get cars before the 'deadline' but keeping a business like a CAR COMPANY alive, when you are a newcomer, and predicting how much of product to make - that's got to be a really hard problem. they don't have the years and assembly lines like the old school car makers. its kind of amazing they can do this much in so little time (relatively).

demand outstrips supply. well, its not a bad problem to have, for one of the sides.

7. n8leon

n8leon Member

and kudos to all the Sales Rep who came in from all over the bay area to help out.
    They were out of their element and things were chaotic.
    But they were trying really hard, and many of them put in a very long day.

• Like x 1
  8. jonquiljo

jonquiljo Supporting Member

We won't know until the Q4 results are posted - whenever that may be --- but it is possible that Tesla sent so many cars overseas that less were kept in the US (and California!). That makes supply low in the US, which can appear as higher than normal demand.

Personally I don't know how people really measure demand of any one product. The demand has a lot to do with the cost and (more often) the availability of an item. Apple used to release a limited number of iPhones and it looked like demand was higher than it was. To this day, it is unclear as to what that demand really was.

I will admit, that it is easier to sell EVs overseas (especially in Europe) these days. They are struggling for them and their gas prices are very high. I have read that even Ford will send the lions share of it's first production Mach-E cars to Europe first. That will inflate perceived demand in the US. It also shows that Ford thinks that it is easier and faster to sell EVs in Europe. I've also read that a lot of the Tesla "competition" plans to sell in Europe first.

• Like x 1
  9. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

@n8leon when did you order the car?

• Helpful x 1
  10. n8leon

n8leon Member

I ordered the SR+ (black / black / 19" wheels) on Nov 24

• Informative x 1
  11. hmmwv

hmmwv Member

Man, sorry to hear that you didn't get the car even though you ordered well before the cutoff date (Dec 8th).

• Like x 1