TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NY Eve Delivery Event @ the Factory

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by n8leon, Dec 28, 2019.

1. n8leon

n8leon Member

Like another post I saw, I have been notified that my Model 3 will be built on 12/31,
    and I will take delivery on New Year's Eve @ 8 PM during the "Delivery Event @ The Fremont Factory".
    I totally understand that they are swamped and don't have time to make all the 2019 deliveries,
    and I appreciate their creativity in making 2019 happen for me.
    In fact, I am perfectly happy to drive the 30 min to pick it up from the factory.
    We took the factory tour yesterday, which was awesome, highly recommended.

However . . .
    I've heard and read that the Destination Fee ($1,125) has *not* been waived for factory deliveries.
    Does that strike anybody else as odd, i.e. paying for a service which has not not been rendered?
    Wouldn't that fall under the category of "fraud"?

I may check in with my dealer, although I am not expecting much.
    What do folks think?

Thanks,
    Nate

Model 3, Standard Range Plus, Black, 19" wheels
    (ordered Nov 23)

• Disagree x 3
  2. Thumpernator

Thumpernator Member

On a positive note, at least the delivery is in time for the tax credit. :) You're still money ahead by getting it in 2019.

3. jrs_66

jrs_66 Member

Destination fee is set by the feds... required by law and doesn’t change.

4. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#4 SMAlset, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Not to come down on a new member here and future Tesla owner but Fraud? How do so many people want to buy a Tesla and yet toss out stuff like this.

Tesla has delivery costs of various kinds (carrier/rail) and distances. They average out their costs for delivery and apply it evenly as one fee across the board. Only exception would be for places like Hawaii where delivery gets more complicated due to shipping by vessel. Let’s face it not everyone can live by the factory. It’s kind of like when stores set shipping policy by a dollar purchased amount or Amazon ships regardless of purchase to members for free. They can set what they want and as long as it is published. It’s applied evenly across the board. Also apart from the car being transported across 580 to the DC the only thing that changes for the carriers taking them there is the mileage. Still needs to get loaded/unloaded, driver’s paid, prep of cars, employees doing delivery to be paid, the paperwork probably the same regardless (funding, licensing, govt paperwork). There’s also DC costs across where Teslas are sold. Likely factored in to the cost whether you pick up at a DC or have delivered to your home.

5. sunnyvale76

sunnyvale76 Member

Mine is also set at 12/31 0800 PM , I don't know how many cars they plan to deliver on 12/31 0800 PM

6. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Then make them deliver it to a store instead to get your moneys worth. You perfectly knew there was a destination fee. No matter where you take delivery. They still have to move it from the factory line to where you’re going to stand and sign the paper work. That’s the destination.

7. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

Correct; pretty much all manufacturers use the equalized fee method - they average out the cost of delivering vehicles and apply that equally to ALL deliveries.

Autoweek Explains: Destination charges

Whether you live next door to Fremont, or here in NJ, it's the same charge.

• Informative x 2
  8. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Nope....

Factory delivery from other brands (like BMW and Mercedes) have the destination fee, so there is no fraud there. Nice try in trying to get out of paying the fee, though.

• Like x 1
  9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Isn’t it waived when you do European Delivery?

10. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Nope, Im almost positive its not.

11. n8leon

n8leon Member

Good info, I wasn't familiar with the "equalized fee" practice, thx.
    One can imagine how it might seem unfair to pay the same shipping fee for me driving to The Factory (not even the DC across 880 as SMAlset suggests) as opposed to having the car trucked across the country to NJ.
    Didn't mean to get folks all up-in-arms!

Anyways, at this point, I will be happy if I can take delivery in 2019.

Thanks,
    n8

12. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

It obviously cost more to deliver the car to the east coast, but if they charged fees consistent with actual costs nobody on the east coast would buy a Tesla. So the buyers in California help to subsidize the cost of transportation to the further away destinations.

To those of you on the east coast, you are welcome. :p

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

We appreciate it. You subsidize our delivery fees *and* we don't pay sales tax on Teslas... It's not often I say "It's good to live in NJ!"

• Funny x 3
  14. SMAlset

What bothered me was to jump to suggesting it was fraud as oppose to asking why a factory or Fremont DC delivery would cost the same. If people really feel this company would do that then they shouldn't be buying from them regardless of how great the cars are. Enjoy the delivery event and your new car. Let us know how it goes.

15. TomServo

TomServo Active Member

It's the same concept as a postage stamp. Costs the same if you send a card to your next-door neighbor or someone in Alaska or Hawaii. I took delivery of my 2006 Corvette at the National Corvette Museum and the delivery fee still applied. That's how it has worked for decades, am surprised folks don't understand that in 2019.

16. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Honest question here for educational purposes - Is the destination fee still taxable in NJ ?

17. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Elon Musk on Twitter

18. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I really need to take the factory tour. Do they let you visit the area where the cars are painted ?

19. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

No. The entire purchase is tax exempt; Tesla completes an ST-4 form on your behalf.

This would also include add-one such as FSD; it’s a significant advantage to purchase things like FSD with the vehicle as they are then exempt.

The “out the door” price is incredibly simple to calculate:

Vehicle purchase price
    + Destination fee ($1200)
    + NJ Title ($85)
    + NJ 4-year registration fee ($311)

And that’s it, to the penny. Easiest car transaction I’ve ever done.

• Like x 1
  20. SMAlset

You're on a tram going through the factory which is huge. You'll pass by the paint booths but they were off a bit and not like you can really see much there, at least I don't remember getting a good look. There are photos online that will give you a better idea. I do remember our tour guy explaining some of what goes on there and about the technique that adheres the paint to the cars or something like that. Found the tour fascinating and loved the robots and welding, stamping machine and was interesting to see how the production line moves through the factory. General Assemby was interesting too. I'd recommend signing up for a tour if you can. We were there before the Model 3 line was part of the tour so we're due for another visit.