Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY Eve Delivery Event @ the Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess that was pretty much a wasted New Year's Eve.
They made a valiant effort to scale up for the large crowd, but in the end, it was a bit of a train-wreck.
I talked to people who had been waiting for over 3 hours, and weren't done yet, some with their families, including small kids.
And there is the video of Elon asking who has been waiting for 4 or 5 hours, and he gets responses, followed by a nervous laugh.
They tried to provide food and snacks (e.g. goldfish crackers, kinda' sad), but kept running out.
I was smart enough to leave the family home, but the evening was worse for me.

Right up until last night, Tesla was texting me about how my car was in production and is expected to be completed by Tue afternoon, and I should wait around for the next text and be at the factory within 90 minutes.
I did not hear anything all day, but then my VIN disappears from my account page.
I cancel my NY Eve dinner and party with friends, and get to the factory @ 7 PM, an hour ahead of my appointment just in case. (My acct page *still* showed the 8 PM appt)
I was pulled out of the long line after 20 minutes to be informed that my car is "pending inventory addition" and is in "pre-production". The Sales Rep would not elaborate on that, but it sounds to me like they had not even started building my car. How is it possible they told me on Monday that it would be ready Tues, since it takes at least 3-4 days to build one?!
I showed him the Sales Contract I had printed which included my VIN, and he told me that was a "temporary / fake" VIN, just to allow customers to compete the process.
Of course, they were willing to sell me an LR model from inventory for about $9K more.

There were other people there who were not getting their car delivered also.
And yet, talking to a guy in the food truck line... he had ordered the same car (black SR+) on Dec 3 from the same showroom but he was able to take delivery of his. I ordered on Nov 24, over 5 weeks ago. Makes no sense.
When I left at 10:30 PM (my wife was asking where I was), the line still looked to be a couple hours long, and looked to me like there were hundreds of new cars in the parking lot, mostly the LR and Performance models I guess.
While I was watching the NY Eve shows with my wife, I get an eMail that I should review and accept my updated Loan Agreement. Sure enough, a new VIN has appeared on my account page, and my Telsa app no longer is stuck on the intro videos.

I have always been impressed at how Elon delivers on what he says, but tonight, not so much.
I understand there must be a huge amount of pressure from investors & analysts on Wall St.

I'm looking forward to hearing a good explanation of what happened to my car,
and hopefully Tesla can still make me a satisfied customer.

Regardless, Happy New Year everybody!

Reactions: Techlead13