Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY/LI did you receive your registration yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

N54TT

Aug 14, 2018
NY
Took delivery on 9/28 and still haven’t received my registration from the DMV yet. My temp registration expires in 9 days. Called Manhasset and was told that if I don’t get it by the time it expires to call them back and that if I get a ticket for the expired temp registration sticker that they would pay the ticket. I swear it has never taken this long with any other car I’ve bought before.

For my X, it took about a month (under the limit), and the registration was Fedex'd to me. That was a transfer. I think they batch them up. So, they made it under the wire. This was Virginia, not sure if state matters.

My record was for a BMW, where the temp did expire and it did take 7 weeks or something. Usually crappy attention to detail by that BMW dealer after sales. (Not really relevant here...)

I would think most Police would be aware it's up to the dealer, and the driver can't really do anything about it for a new car. We don't have the papers and it's not us slacking off. :D

LI here...

09/14 - Bought the car at Manhasset.
10/25 - MyDMV showed that the new plates were registered under my name.
10/30 - Received a FedEX Overnight from the Brooklyn store (also their HQ for local DS personnel), the day after my Temp expired.

I called asking about it a week before and Tesla said that if I got a ticket after it expired they would reimburse me.

LI here...

09/14 - Bought the car at Manhasset.
10/25 - MyDMV showed that the new plates were registered under my name.
10/30 - Received a FedEX Overnight from the Brooklyn store (also their HQ for local DS personnel), the day after my Temp expired.

I called asking about it a week before and Tesla said that if I got a ticket after it expired they would reimburse me.

Thanks, just checked mydmv and it’s listed. Sounds like what they told me. I guess it’s good to know it’s not just me. Will just keep waiting it out.

Last edited:
Took delivery on 9/28 and still haven’t received my registration from the DMV yet. My temp registration expires in 9 days. Called Manhasset and was told that if I don’t get it by the time it expires to call them back and that if I get a ticket for the expired temp registration sticker that they would pay the ticket. I swear it has never taken this long with any other car I’ve bought before.
I got my NY Registration a week before it expired. I picked up my M3 the first week of August and got the NY Title the 3 week of OIctober.