TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NY/NJ EZ Pass Placement

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Shurik97, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Shurik97

Shurik97 New Member

I know there are a lot of posts on this topic, but I am wondering if there are any news on this topic.. Picked up my new refreshed Model S 2 weeks ago and read all about EZ Pass headaches.. Brooklyn delivery team claimed that external tag is the only way to go.. Got it, installed it.. Got stuck at the Battery Tunnel Gate this morning.. If it works on some occasions, what's the point of having this monstrosity on my front plate.. Any luck with the inside smaller tag from anyone? TIA.

2. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

The black spot to the right of the rear view mirror is where it's "supposed" to go but I've had mixed success with it in the NY tolls (I have the new small rectangular one). I removed my front plate so the front mount is not an option. Kind of a PITA but hopefully the plate readers work well.

3. Shurik97

Shurik97 New Member

You mean you took plate frame off? I took that off as well and have black tag sit on top of my license plate.. That setup did not work at BBT toll booth.

4. Bruin1996

Bruin1996 Member

I placed my California FastTrak transponder to the right of the rear mirror stem with the transponder upside down. Seems to work for me at least here in California.

5. Shurik97

Shurik97 New Member

Thanks.. Can you send a pic? Not sure what the differences are but I'll try inside unit, as I am not sure I can handle external tag that does not work all the time.

6. Blue Millenium

Bbt and rfk toll plaza do not work with ez pass bumper placement. No idea why. Everywhere else does. I mounted it on the interior of the old face mount using an external ex pass. Took me about a month and 5 failed attempts to work through this. Unfortunately, bbt and rfk remain a mystery still.

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Ummmm interesting, upside down? I will try this. Right side up is not working for me but I wondered if the dash cam might be interfering. Do you have the transponder with the 3 switch issued by LA Metro or without from the Toll Roads of OC?

8. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

If your dashcam has WiFi capability, turn the WiFi off. That's a radio transmitter right next to the E-ZPass receiver which can desense the receiver even though it's not on the same frequency.

• Helpful x 1