Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY State specific tax question on charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $2000 NY State rebate on purchasing my Model 3 SR+ was obviously a great incentive. As I did my taxes this year, I noticed that there is a Federal tax credit for installing a charger for EV vehicles. 30% up to a certain amount ($1000?) is much appreciated but I only put in a 120 volt charger near my car, so I only saved a few bucks. My question is for fellow NY'ers: it looked like there was an even more generous NY State charger tax credit but Turbotax 2019 couldn't possibly have been correct when I tested it. If I put in $1000, it gave me 100%; if I put in $5000, it gave me $5000. Does anyone know the NY State tax rules for charger purchase and installation? 30% from federal plus more from NY State would really make this a great incentive to up my charger game this coming year.

What form is TurboTax listing for the credit you’re trying to claim? AFAIK, there are two state incentives for EV charging: Charge Ready NY and New York State Alternative Fuel Vehicle Recharging Tax Credit

I don’t think either applies to a privately used level 1 charger/outlet. The former explicitly requires l2 and is available for public chargers or multi-apartment buildings. The latter (and the one that TurboTax is showing you, based on the description) is for charging used to conduct business or trade in NYS and is targeted at commercial and workplace charging. ?

On a side note, TurboTax is having an exceptionally bad year - they’ve had multiple errors (including the bugged EV tax credit form that didn’t get fixed until late February), issues with electronic transmission of files to IRS that resulted in returns getting treated as if they were filed on paper (so 8 week processing), and delays for refund reviews due to handling failing to collect information from 1095-A from people with marketplace insurance.

What form is TurboTax listing for the credit you’re trying to claim? AFAIK, there are two state incentives for EV charging: Charge Ready NY and New York State Alternative Fuel Vehicle Recharging Tax Credit

I don’t think either applies to a privately used level 1 charger/outlet. The former explicitly requires l2 and is available for public chargers or multi-apartment buildings. The latter (and the one that TurboTax is showing you, based on the description) is for charging used to conduct business or trade in NYS and is targeted at commercial and workplace charging. ?

On a side note, TurboTax is having an exceptionally bad year - they’ve had multiple errors (including the bugged EV tax credit form that didn’t get fixed until late February), issues with electronic transmission of files to IRS that resulted in returns getting treated as if they were filed on paper (so 8 week processing), and delays for refund reviews due to handling failing to collect information from 1095-A from people with marketplace insurance.

Thanks. It seemed like one of those 'too good to be true'. 30% from federal and 50% from NY State......