TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NY Times: One Big Step for Tesla, One Giant Leap for E.V.’s

Discussion in 'News' started by smorgasbord, Sep 28, 2012.

1. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

The "Sunday" article is out: One Big Step for Tesla, One Giant Leap for E.V.’s

Author got 300.1 miles on a single charge

Overall, very positive, but:

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I thought it was clear and concise. Yes the Model S has its problems but it's still a winner.

3. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Right. No car is perfect, but these issues are minor in the grand scheme of things. I thought it was a really well done review, which I'd expect from Berman, and which Elon clearly expected because he gave him the car for a week.

Is this the first "big" extended review that didn't use Elon's car or a Performance model? I'm impressed they gave home a regular 85 kWh car, although he may have requested it.

4. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

#4 Cattledog, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    It's a really strong review from the second major NY paper (calling WSJ an NY paper). I particularly liked:

Put simply, the automobile has not undergone a fundamental change in design or use since Henry Ford rolled out the Model T more than a century ago. At least that’s what I thought until I spent a week with the Tesla Model S.

I appreciate hybrids, but it was time for someone to just say no to incrementalism. Thanks Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and also:

If the Model S is Aston Martin on the outside, it’s Apple on the inside.

Easy to just expect this and lose sight of how remarkable a comment that is. Someone please show me where there's something written like that for any BMW, Lexus (the two cars we own, so playing fair here) or Jaguar any time in the last 20 years...

And finally:

I just hauled amps.

That's what I'm talkin' about...

5. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Good article. But this guy actually drove it for a week, what do you expect? :) His criticisms are valid, although the only one Tesla can't fix via software or a simple parts swap would be rear visibility. Hopefully more intelligent writers can experience the Tesla and spread real info like this.

6. strangethingintheland

#6 strangethingintheland, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
  7. bmek

bmek Member

Brad Berman, who wrote the article, has been around electric vehicles for years. He has PlugInCars.com and started HybridCars.com in 2003.

I met Brad last year as he needed to charge his Nissan Leaf and we have a charging station. He was able to drive to a meeting in Los Gatos, charge his Leaf during the meeting, and then return to Berkeley.

Brad knows EVs and the EV industry so his article is extremely accurate and unbiased. Some nit picking and he dismisses the nit picking himself. Importantly, Brad passed the magic '300' miles by 0.1 as he knows that range is a significant barrier for potential buyers and 300 miles is a critical threshold for range.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#8 dpeilow, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    Follow up: Charging Ahead on an Electric Highway

28Teslamap-popup.jpg

sub30CHAR-articleLarge.jpg

NEW ORDER Charging the Tesla’s battery at the Harris Ranch Supercharger station near Coalinga, Calif., took less time than a leisurely lunch stop.

Surprised there is only 1 bay at Harris Ranch, which is obviously a linchpin site.

If you add up the driving time it comes to 8.5 hours. So he must have been charging for 3 hours total. Given that the last two stops were only to cover ~100 miles (so 30 minutes' charging) each then he must have been at Folsom for around 2 hours to get the 100% charge or there is well over an hour missing somewhere (lunch?).

9. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Great article. Reaches farther and wider and with a more convincing voice than any article yet. Right place. Right time.

10. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

Got confirmation during my delivery yesterday that Tesla noted the rear seat light issue and replaced them out from my VIN (195) on. Pretty quick on-the fly fix. Seems good to me now...

11. erha

erha Member

At least for me it works to just clear all browsing data or use NYTimes in incognito/private mode to bypass the limit

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think we ended up covering that here:
    Inside Scoop on Tesla’s Super-Smart Supercharger Network
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10343&stc=1&d=1349144393.jpg

Comments on the ~1 hour 'plateau' (not charging, not driving) at Harris Ranch:
    So, yeah - if they had two Superchargers at Harris ranch they might have been able to cut an hour off of the total trip time.

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

We did but I posted that before Brad's more technical article came out.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, I know. Just clarifying now that we got more details.