Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC parking garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. New to the forum as I just picked my M3P yesterday. Drove into a NYC garage today and the valet told me I had to deactivate my phone (or turnoff Bluetooth I think) as he said they have had issues with not being able to move Tesla’s and I could face a 100$ tow charge if they had to move it and couldn’t. Any truth to tbis

Hi there. New to the forum as I just picked my M3P yesterday. Drove into a NYC garage today and the valet told me I had to deactivate my phone (or turnoff Bluetooth I think) as he said they have had issues with not being able to move Tesla’s and I could face a 100$ tow charge if they had to move it and couldn’t. Any truth to tbis

If the valet leaves the key card in the car, it’s possible that you could lock it in the car with your phone, either intentionally or accidentally.

If the valet keeps the key card at his kiosk, it’s a non-issue.

Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
We used to live in NYC area in the early 80's. Back then we owned a Chevy Chevette - arguably one of the worst cars ever made. One winter night my wife and I drove into Manhattan to visit friends. We left the car at a nearby garage. When we got back into the car several hours later, the interior was unusually warm, it being winter and the car ostensibly parked for about 4 hours. Then I noticed that the radio was tuned to a station I never listened to and my wife noticed that the passenger seat's position had been shifted. But the real giveaway was the two cigarette butts in the ashtray. Neither of us were smokers and we never let anyone smoke in the car. Obviously, someone had taken the car for a ride not long before we came to pick it up. It was NYC in the early 80's so I just shrugged off the whole experience but I'm not sure I would want to trust my Tesla to a NYC garage after that experience.

Upvote 0
What FUD. The valet uses the card key to open the door and drive so don't know why you have to disable anything on your phone.

Make sure you put the car in to valet mode for any valet and garage working on your car.

I suspect this garage and perhaps others like to leave keys in cars. Less chance of keys getting misplaced and the whole operation goes more quickly without having to keep a key file. So, if that's the case, a driver inadvertently locking their Tesla from the app or having walk-away lock activated would obviously cause a problem.

Upvote 0
I suspect this garage and perhaps others like to leave keys in cars. Less chance of keys getting misplaced and the whole operation goes more quickly without having to keep a key file. So, if that's the case, a driver inadvertently locking their Tesla from the app or having walk-away lock activated would obviously cause a problem.
Valet shouldn't be leaving the keys in the car unlocked. What kind of valet is that? I wouldn't use a valet like that.

Upvote 0
If you can avoid it, never ever use a valet. If you have to park in a garage, self park.

When I'm President the first thing I'll do is outlaw valets, HOAs, and toll roads.
Then, I'll tackle climate change and world peace.

But yeah, one of my pet peeves with this car is that the "lock" and "unlock" functions of the app do nothing of value. I wish I could unlock the car and have it stay unlocked until the next time it is driven. So we could actually load/unload luggage without it locking every time I walk away. Duh!

But to avoid the valet issue you'll need to either do what he says or disable walkaway locking in the menu. Doing it his way is probably the better choice since it's easier to remember to turn BT back on (which you can do as soon as you're out of range).

Upvote 0