TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NYC Solar Panel Installation

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by shadowinstallz, Oct 31, 2014.

1. shadowinstallz

not sure if this is in the right section, please move if needed.......I am in NYC and am looking for information on getting Solar Panels installed on my roof. I have already contacted Solar City but they are unable to install on my roof due to it being rolled tar. Not sure what the reasoning is, but they said they couldn't. Anyone in NYC have solar installed? any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

In Florida, I have heard of a system where racks are placed on a flat roof and held down with concrete blocks. There is no roof penetration, it's easy to remove when you have to do any work on the roof, and it supposedly meets the Miami Dade hurricane standards.

3. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I would think that solar panels held down by cinder blocks would be the first thing to go in a hurricane. My solar panels are on posts imbedded in concrete 3' diameter x 9' deep. Probably overkill but they definitely are not going anywhere.

4. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

5. shadowinstallz

6. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

you should be able to install on rolled tar. Solar city just wants the cookie cutter jobs.

7. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Check out SunPower's NYC dealer EmPower, I have had personal experience with them and they're awesome. SunPower has the highest efficiency panel on the market by far, and they back their energy production estimates with a guarantee (not a just product warranty, but actual energy guarantee).

8. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

That's called a ballast system. It's what I have and common in Chicago where we have many flat roofs. It is totally secure. I'll see if any of our local installers do nyc.