Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC Supercharger - Location Unknown yet ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NYC includes all five boroughs. They have one at JFK in south Queens. With the space premium, I would be shocked if it was in Manhattan. My guess would be the Bronx. There is nothing along the east side of the Hudson, heading north.

A distant second guess would be Staten Island. With JFK along the Belt Parkway, and the Edison SC on the other side, it is a distant second.

I'm holding out hope it's in the red hook area near its store.

Also a very premium area for space. Buildings in downtown Brooklyn are sprouting like weeds. I have trouble finding paid parking there and I don't need to charge for the short trip.

They seem to be pushing the NYC metro area a lot with HPWCs in the garages. Trouble is, in that area, very few people own homes and garages for those homes are even rarer. Unless they wire entire public garages for these cars, it would be difficult for the whole electric car thing to take off in Manhattan or Brooklyn. A friend of mine owns an apartment in Manhattan, where he is on the board, and he told me the building garage installed two chargers and the tenants are already fighting over them.

Someone else I know ordered a Model X and they own a home in Brooklyn with no garage. At the curb they have a 110 outlet that covers one parking space that will likely be taken more times than not. They think that is going to be enough to charge their car and I told them they are mistaken.

So far Telsa's network charging strategy has been nothing short of brilliant. I just hope they don't push these cars in areas where they just don't work. Bad news travels faster than good news and disgruntled customers in these areas can hurt the image.

I read a story once about a guy in Manhattan who owned a Model S. He had a monthly spot that was 20 blocks north of where he lived that only had access to a 110 outlet that took days to charge the car. He still loved his purchase and thought it was 100% worth it to own.

• Love
Reactions: TheAustin
Take a look at the global map of superchargers. Unlike the US, the model in places like China, Hong Kong, London has been to put superchargers in urban settings precisely to fill the need of urban residents who cannot install effective home charging solutions due to space concerns etc.

I agree that for a typical NYC owner a 110 outlet can be sufficient if the car is not driven often and the installation of this minimal infrastructure in exiting garages is less challenging than installing NEMA 14-50s or J1772s. Having the car plugged in while it sits also is good to minimize wear and tear on the 12v battery given the constant vampire load of the car even when in standby mode.

The 110 outlet might work for some/many. If you're not driving more than 30-50 miles a day, you'd be fine. When I first got my MS, I was charging on 110 and getting 4 miles an hour. Get home from work/errands around 7pm. By 7am when time to leave the house, you've gained almost 50 miles.

Just heard something at last week's Tesla social; in Philadelphia, if you put a charger at your curb, you can call the Philly parking authority and they will designate the spot EV parking only. Doesn't mean it's only YOUR spot as anyone with an EV can park there, but it helps. And if you know the Philly parking authority, you know you don't part where you're not supposed to!

If it works for people, then great. I drive in this area all the time, and for the vast majority of living situations in Brooklyn and Manhattan it would be a hassle that would discourage most people. The 110 outlet at the curb is the roll of the dice if you get the spot back. In many of these neighborhoods, if you get home after 7, you have to park blocks away. If the chargers don't multiply as fast as the cars do, especially the Model 3, there will be a lot of bad press about charging situation in those areas.

Brooklyn and Manhattan are different because there is much less street parking in Manhattan. When we get a good snow storm here cars on the street in Brooklyn can be buried for weeks and the spots get even fewer because of the piles of snow. If your outlet is buried you may not get to charge your car near there for months, leaving you to add a trip to a supercharger, which will likely be very busy, and then add the hassle of parking the car back on the street where you live.

I want these cars to work. I love mine. For suburbanites like myself it is perfect. I never have a range issue and my car is garaged at night with chargers at both ends, work and home. There are plenty of superchargers for trips along my routes and all is great. Telsa needs some serious infrastructure in NYC if they are going to push their cars for urban dwellers. The model 3, when it is plentiful, would be a great zip car.