Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC to LA road trip…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering driving out to LA in July. I actually live right outside NYC in New Jersey. I've got the trip planned through EV Trip Planner but have a couple of questions and if anyone has any road tripping advice please share.

First, I have a 60 (upgradeable to 75). In EV Trip Planner I created a pretty nice route that takes me east through PA and Ohio/Indiana, down to St Louis, through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and finally California. I realize if you put NYC to LA in EVTP it will send you on a route through the Rockies but wanted to take the Texas/NM/AZ southern route. Which doesn't add much time to the trip.

It's not that I'm hurting for money for if I can avoid updating to the 75 for 2k I'd prefer not to. But, one question I had was let's say halfway through the trip I decide a 75 would have been better I can just call Tesla and they can software update to the 75 pretty quickly correct?

Has anyone made this trip in a 60? Did you have any issues?

Also, should I be worried about any of the Superchargers I'm planning on stopping at not working or out of service? I haven't heard about this happening too much but it's a slight worry.

I've been googling and reading other road trip posts here but this is nearly 6000 miles so a bit extreme I suppose.

Thanks for any info.

Reactions: _jal_ and wesley888

Here is a video from last year where a youtuber summarizes their trip from Grand Rapids to SoCal. He drove a 75kw MS. He runs through the data he collected along the way. You can also watch his six videos that document everything that he experienced to and from. A good watch if you haven't done this before and want to know what to expect on these types of trips while using a smaller battery.

I did a round trip a few years ago in my 85. check out my blog if you want for the info.

Superchargers are going to be operational, wouldn't worry about that at all. Can get crowded in urban areas here in California, but elsewhere will be likely empty.

I'd only worry about it if it was really cold and windy, otherwise you should be fine. There are a lot more superchargers around than back when I did this in 2014.

Sounds like your money sense is like mine, you can afford a lot more than you spend but prefer not to. 2K isn't that much though and will simply save you time at the superchargers, which will give you more flexibility. I'd upgrade to the 75 just for that on a cross country. There will be times you'll get fidgety at the superchargers as long trips can get old.

Have fun!!!

my advice would be to be aware of massive headwinds and long elevation gains as you head west towards the rockies. in a 60 you will need to charge to 100% more often than not.
in addition I would have extension cords, both 6 guage 110 and one for your 1450 and a chademo adapter and the ap
www.rvparky.com for emergency charging.

I think you can manage it on 60 easily enough, with a little thought and planning

I've read posts saying they were able to upgrade to 75 OTA in minutes or hours, without visiting a service center (though you'll have to go to one to get the badging changed at some later date.)

I'm considering a trip from Chicago to West Yellowstone this summer and have wondered about upgrading my 60 to 75 too. I never thought I would, but over Memorial Day weekend I took a trip to St Louis. On the way down I got somewhere are 275 wh/mi. But on the way back there was a big headwind - 325 wh/mi! It's virtually flat so it wasn't that. No rain (actually it rained on the way there) or anything else that would have contributed other than the wind. I made it fine but was very surprised at the change in energy consumption.

There's a thread here called something like Poll: 60 -> 75 upgrade. Most people who upgraded had it done in minutes

Just wanted to chime in with a suggestion: The best road trips I've taken solo in my 70D are where I'm going for a jog at every Supercharger. You get to explore new areas a bit by foot that you wouldn't otherwise see, get a nice dose of endorphins every couple hours, and then eat on the drive for maximum time utilization. By the time you cross the country you would have easily have run a marathon distance.

Protip: don't run down the dead end street that the south Indianapolis supercharger is on... that dog is unchained and will attempt to eat you.

Read the customer story in my signature.
I remember Sam's write-up. Good trip and advice.
I've got an 85 but I did just meet an owner in Harrisburg with a 60 that's done multiple east coast road trips from Boston to TX. You have more flexibility with a larger battery but it's certainly feasible with a 60; you just need to make sure your planning is sound and you're on top of the car's feedback en-route.
Not in any way trying to up-sell, but my bet is that this trip won't be a once-in-a-lifetime thing; you'll want to be out on the road again when you get back. If that's the case, I'd upgrade the battery only because you're going to find more use for it due to the increased travel. Maybe you don't need to do it on this trip but you'll probably find yourself doing it at some point so if you can afford it now I'd bite the bullet.
My personal experience is that outside of the west coast or heavy urban environments, you're going to be lucky to see another owner at a supercharger. While the nav should tell you if a charger is inoperable, you can also check the crowd-sourced supercharger.info to be certain.
Any road trip in the car is exceptional. Just take your time and enjoy. I just got back from Custer in SD and the striking thing I observed for the first time while on the highway at road speed in SD was that I could hear the birds outside with the windows closed! You're going to see and experience wonderful things!

True. I was thinking might be nice to drive through the Rockies. But I always liked the desert. Maybe I'll take one way there and the other way back.
Oh, it'll be way more fun to take different routes out and back.
Three weeks is just about enough time for such a trip. We stopped for an extra day here an there and wished we'd stayed longer in many spots. But then that just gives you a reason to want to go back, like I did for Custer this year.
Hope you can get the time off.
And then keep track of your superchargers and come on over to the wiki board.
Superchargers Visited
After that much travel you should be well off the bottom.
Safe travels.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Very helpful. Now I just have to make sure I can take off work for three weeks. Looks promising right now but will know for sure by next week.

We did our trip from Southern California to Maine and back in May 2015...

I wrote a pre-trip planning article on my blog as well.

We took 23 days because we took our time. It's a great trip and at least one time through the Rockies is a must.

Our first exposure of I-70 in the Rockies on that trip was on Day 2.

IMG_7799 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_7800 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_7767 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Oh, it'll be way more fun to take different routes out and back.
Three weeks is just about enough time for such a trip. We stopped for an extra day here an there and wished we'd stayed longer in many spots. But then that just gives you a reason to want to go back, like I did for Custer this year.
Hope you can get the time off.
And then keep track of your superchargers and come on over to the wiki board.
Superchargers Visited
After that much travel you should be well off the bottom.
Safe travels.

I have to agree with @Half Dollar Bill, in May 2015, only the I-80/90 Route was complete and there was a hole in I-70 that we traversed Level 2 on...

Now, you have CHOICES. Use them!

Take your time, it's worth it.