Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC to LA road trip…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok I'm heading through the Rockies. Those photos have me sold. Very nice. Now I have to bring my 5D Mark III.

We originally were just going to fly out for a week (my wife and I) but I have some downtime at work so figured it would be as good as a time as any to make the trek. She's still flying out so it's a solo trip. Found out today I have the good graces from work to take the time off.

Most of my family is in California (grew up there) and original intent was to fly out for a wedding. Haven't been out there since two summers ago so I'll probably pick one or two spots along the way to check out each way and will stop in Vegas to play some poker. I played full time for about five years before becoming an adult and getting a 9–5 :) It's WSOP time which is the best time of year so have to play for a couple of days. Used to go out there for the whole summer. Miss those days.

Again, thanks for the help. I'll be checking out all of your posts/blogs mentioned and will hit up the superchargers visited page.

Ahh - one last question. Was considering sleeping in my car at a supercharger (or close by) possibly once or twice—mostly on the Eastern part of the trip. Figured I'd drive the first couple of days as much as possible.

You guys ever do this? Save some time/hassle of checking in/out for 8-10 hours.

Plenty written on the topic of camping. Besides being relatively comfortable, it saves on hotel charges during an extended trip. Truck stop showers solve the freshen-up issue and some are better equipped than spas these days.
It boils down to there's a hump when the back seats are folded flat. Get some cardboard or some memory foam and it'll mitigate the issue. A single/twin air mattress fits nicely in between the rear wheel humps. Don't make my mistake by not inflating the air mattress to check for leaks before you leave. Most superchargers are well lit so hopefully that won't bother you. Camping where you can charge makes the most sense.
If you need to run the air or heat all night, put the car in neutral and engage the parking brake.
Since you'll be sleeping in the back, don't pack a ton of stuff or pack only what'll fit in the frunk and front seat in order to avoid having to repack every morning.
If you get an inverter, you can deflate and inflate the mattress as needed. Others have traveled with a coffee maker which makes for a nice touch if you're so inclined.
Catnaps in the back seat are another option during charging stops.
In short, doable, practical and adds to the fun of the adventure.

Reactions: EinSV and AlanSqB
Plenty written on the topic of camping. Besides being relatively comfortable, it saves on hotel charges during an extended trip. Truck stop showers solve the freshen-up issue and some are better equipped than spas these days.
It boils down to there's a hump when the back seats are folded flat. Get some cardboard or some memory foam and it'll mitigate the issue. A single/twin air mattress fits nicely in between the rear wheel humps. Don't make my mistake by not inflating the air mattress to check for leaks before you leave. Most superchargers are well lit so hopefully that won't bother you. Camping where you can charge makes the most sense.
If you need to run the air or heat all night, put the car in neutral and engage the parking brake.
Since you'll be sleeping in the back, don't pack a ton of stuff or pack only what'll fit in the frunk and front seat in order to avoid having to repack every morning.
If you get an inverter, you can deflate and inflate the mattress as needed. Others have traveled with a coffee maker which makes for a nice touch if you're so inclined.
Catnaps in the back seat are another option during charging stops.
In short, doable, practical and adds to the fun of the adventure.

Thanks. Will probably not have room in the back but it's a good idea. I was thinking either some comfy blankets/pillows in the backseat or just putting the front seat all the way back and trying to get some Zs there. Might try that the first night and see how I feel.

About the inverter - was just thinking about this earlier, possibly to charge laptop or something. I'll google and search here for more info but assuming it's pretty safe to use? It's not going to damage the battery? I have this one from Amazon - Amazon.com: Foval 150W Car Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter with 3.1A Dual USB Charger: Car Electronics

Thanks. Will probably not have room in the back but it's a good idea. I was thinking either some comfy blankets/pillows in the backseat or just putting the front seat all the way back and trying to get some Zs there. Might try that the first night and see how I feel.

About the inverter - was just thinking about this earlier, possibly to charge laptop or something. I'll google and search here for more info but assuming it's pretty safe to use? I have this one from Amazon - Amazon.com: Foval 150W Car Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter with 3.1A Dual USB Charger: Car Electronics
sleeping in the car isn't going to get you the proper level of sleep, so do yourself a favor and get a room, a decent nights sleep and take your time and enjoy the journey.

Reactions: McRat
sleeping in the car isn't going to get you the proper level of sleep, so do yourself a favor and get a room, a decent nights sleep and take your time and enjoy the journey.
+1

I've done coast to coast runs before and also know 2 people who died on an empty highway at night in the middle of nowhere. Most likely fell asleep.

Unless you have 2 drivers swapping, the catnap method is pretty dangerous.

I agree. I like driving in the west a lot more. The East Coast you end up with a lot of toll roads and not a lot of scenery.
while toll roads are more common in the eastern part of the country many toll roads
can be found in the west as well, what is the toll to cross the bay bridge?
I totally disagree with your assertion about the scenery east vs. west. I suppose if you ever have been driving in the east that you've never spent any time outside of the urban areas. there are so many picturesque drives in the east I couldn't list them all but I'll see your PCH and raise you blue ridge parkway.

+1

I've done coast to coast runs before and also know 2 people who died on an empty highway at night in the middle of nowhere. Most likely fell asleep.

Unless you have 2 drivers swapping, the catnap method is pretty dangerous.

I don't necessarily want to derail the thread but I do want clarification:
Your points are that it is only possible to get restful sleep in a hotel/motel?
I do agree that you do not want to drive when impaired, including substances or lack or rest.
However, I don't see much difference in pulling over for 6-8 hours and sleeping comfortably in a tent versus sleeping comfortably in your car.

I don't necessarily want to derail the thread but I do want clarification:
Your points are that it is only possible to get restful sleep in a hotel/motel?
I do agree that you do not want to drive when impaired, including substances or lack or rest.
However, I don't see much difference in pulling over for 6-8 hours and sleeping comfortably in a tent versus sleeping comfortably in your car.
for most people a bed in a hotel/room will provide a better nights sleep than sitting inside of a car. the OP stated that he will be loading car leaving little room for even sleeping fully prone and camping is fun for some but not for all.

I totally disagree with your assertion about the scenery east vs. west. I suppose if you ever have been driving in the east that you've never spent any time outside of the urban areas. there are so many picturesque drives in the east I couldn't list them all but I'll see your PCH and raise you blue ridge parkway.
I agree. Wherever one goes in North America there are picturesque and or bizarre oddities to provide sensory delight. I am a fan of the PCH, the Blue Ridge, what is left of Route 66 and much more. I'll add the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Cwker City, Kansas
World's Largest Ball of Twine, Cawker City, Kansas
Really, I have driven US and Canada Coast to Coast a few times, never in a Tesla. FWIW, I also drove from Paris to Tehran. I am planning my Tesla coast-to-coast US trip for later this year. I'd do it in a 60, but I'd pop for the upgrade to 75 anyway, just to add flexibility, especially in the mountains. One way, it's crucial to go through the mountain route, ideally in July or August. I recommend against the January trip I once made unless you're deeply masochistic. If you choose fall or winter you'll need the 75 for sure.

I agree. Wherever one goes in North America there are picturesque and or bizarre oddities to provide sensory delight. I am a fan of the PCH, the Blue Ridge, what is left of Route 66 and much more. I'll add the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Cwker City, Kansas
World's Largest Ball of Twine, Cawker City, Kansas
Really, I have driven US and Canada Coast to Coast a few times, never in a Tesla. FWIW, I also drove from Paris to Tehran. I am planning my Tesla coast-to-coast US trip for later this year. I'd do it in a 60, but I'd pop for the upgrade to 75 anyway, just to add flexibility, especially in the mountains. One way, it's crucial to go through the mountain route, ideally in July or August. I recommend against the January trip I once made unless you're deeply masochistic. If you choose fall or winter you'll need the 75 for sure.
Don't forget the Spam Museum in Benson, Mn. One of the best museums in the country.

• Informative
Reactions: AEdennis