Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC to Montreal trip report - snow, ice and wonderful autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove 360 miles each way from White Plains NY to Montreal for the holiday weekend.
Autopilot performed flawlessly on the way up, perfect weather. barely touched the pedals or wheel the whole journey.
Of course charging was no problem. Stopped at the absolutely massive 20 stall charger at Crossroads mall in Albany. Hit 120kw straight away which was a nice contrast to the 40-50 I manage to eek out of my local superchargers.
Fortunately I could park underground in Montreal so the battery didn't have to endure the almost sub zero temperatures. The car though was caked in dirty salt after drive, so thick that the autopilot sensors stopped working.
The return trip was a little more exciting. Autopilot almost the whole time, even in a heavy snow storm. Always trippy driving in heavy snow. Of course in this situation i was extra vigilant but autopilot had an almost unnerving ability to see through the snow even when the lane markings were almost entirely washed away. In a bid to avoid a 98cent toll I took a small diversion off the highway onto a mountain road. As the road got smaller, the snow was getting thicker on the ground. Driving up the hills my friend said how great it was that I was using snow tyres. I had to explain I was just running the stock Michelins. The car got a little slippery going down the hills as the temperatures hovered around 5F but despite a few slips and swerves I didn't feel out of control. I did try to get a run up to the uphill sections to ensure I didn't get stuck half way up. Friend mentioned that having the dual motor must also help getting up the hills, I had to tell him that I only had RWD at which point he went quite quiet... Only time I stopped using autopilot was on the mountain road of course. Oh and the windshield wipers worked just fine in the snow, never had to fiddle with them.
A 6 hour drive took about 8 hours with charging which was not issue as we just stopped for lunch and dinner. I arrived feeling very fresh and relaxed. At no point was I concerned about charging on this route.
I did sadly learn that the dashcam seems to wipe over previous recordings (maybe at the start of every trip? - or after so many clips are recorded) I had hoped to be able to see some nice footage from the snowdriving.

thanks for the information-people who've no experience with EV think you need/must have AWD in snow.
It's all about the tyres. That said even with the standard all season Michelins it managed OK, though I was very nervous on the mountain road and would have been in trouble if I had had to stop on the hill, snow tyres would have fixed that for sure, but this was just a weekend away so not worth getting the tyres as I am moving back to the west coast.

Reactions: e-FTW