TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

nYc - what energy supplier are you using with your Tesla?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by macd1995, Sep 7, 2015.

1. macd1995

macd1995 Member

I am reconsideing my supplier options. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

2. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

The only choice I have is National Grid here in the Town of Amherst, NY. No smart metering, no EV rates. Glad the Clarence (Buffalo) Supercharger opened last July. It's about 5 miles from my home.

3. macd1995

macd1995 Member

Thanks! I saw some deals for locking in rates for 24 months with penalties for breaking... and I became less trigger happy... the rates looked good, but I need to either use an EV friendly supplier that is recommended on this forum, or do more research.

4. macd1995

macd1995 Member

Any suggestions?

5. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

I live in Westchester, NY and switched to Green Mountain Energy when I got my Model S.

Aaron

6. macd1995

macd1995 Member

Thanks Aaron. I switched to Green Mountain before I thought about Tesla. I have a 9.9 cent rate for three months and then its variable. How has the variable rate worked for you? Did you tell them you have an electric vehicle?

Thanks,

7. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

For almost 2 years I got a 6.9 cent rate and then renegotiated it a few months ago (for 6 months) at a 7.9 cent rate - so pretty good! Need to call them in the next month to renegotiate again...

Aaron

8. macd1995

macd1995 Member

Thank Aaron! Fixed 7.9 rate? I wonder if Westchester is different from Brooklyn...?

9. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Yes - 7.9 fixed for 6 months. Then I have to call again to renegotiate.

Best to search online on their website for special rates then call them to lock in for a period of time. NYC rates may be more expensive than Westchester County.

Aaron

10. towelie

towelie Member

I don't use a supplier, I just pay whatever ConEdisons rate is. Should I look into ESCOs? I always stayed away after hearing horror stories from friends/neighbors 7-8 years ago.

11. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Was never a problem for me. I switched when my Model S was delivered - I wanted to offset my carbon use to renewable.... Was never about the cost.

Aaron