Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYSERDA : Change in Rebate stipulations has Tesla not participating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my order in for a new tesla solar panels and 2x power wall. Supposedly aside from state and federal tax credit you receive There is also additional $6250 of rebate from NYSERDA that can be applied to my installation cost upfront that tesla is not honoring. I spoke with both state NYSERDA dept and PSEG personals and they both say TESLA is an approved installer and they refuse to participate with just one single form to fill out to receive the rebate from the state. People who were in BLOCK 1 rebate program got theirs. There is an additional $2.3 million dollars worth of rebate available in BLOCK 2. I believe this is a non-ethical in tesla part by not offering to file a paperwork with PSEG to save consumers thousands of dollar on their new solar system. I believe if we have enough people here to complain they will do something about it.

the rebate is applied towards the POWER WALLS and not for the solar system.

Anyone else here on the island on the same boat we can get together?

Thanks!

prior to oct 2021 any installs that qualify for the tesla powerwall rebate are coming from block 1 funds. block 2 funds they made a small change which requires an agreement to share energy from powerwall back into the grid during peak hours. which I dont see a big deal. Only thing tesla needs to do to pass on the rebate to the consumer is to file the agreement. which they state they are not participate.

I would NOT want to lose 100% control of my energy in the arrangement that @Charlesz mentions. I would forego the additional tax credit in order to remain autonomous.

Completely unrelated, for the benefit of the original poster, I have a friend in Nassau County with solar and PW's. He said that the county and/or utility provider will not allow indoor (garage) installs of powerwalls. I would NOT want my PW's outside, especially in the Northeast.

prior to oct 2021 any installs that qualify for the tesla powerwall rebate are coming from block 1 funds. block 2 funds they made a small change which requires an agreement to share energy from powerwall back into the grid during peak hours. which I dont see a big deal. Only thing tesla needs to do to pass on the rebate to the consumer is to file the agreement. which they state they are not participate.
I would NOT want to allow them to take energy from my walls so that is a very big deal to me.
I would NOT want to lose 100% control of my energy in the arrangement that @Charlesz mentions. I would forego the additional tax credit in order to remain autonomous.

Completely unrelated, for the benefit of the original poster, I have a friend in Nassau County with solar and PW's. He said that the county and/or utility provider will not allow indoor (garage) installs of powerwalls. I would NOT want my PW's outside, especially in the Northeast.
I live in Suffolk the county next door to Nassau. We have our walls inside the garage and have the same energy provider as Nassau (PSEG). I have not heard of anyone else in Nassau saying they can't install in the garage. That may have been a specific town (some of our towns get pretty maniacal).

Reactions: jboy210
I would NOT want to allow them to take energy from my walls so that is a very big deal to me.

I live in Suffolk the county next door to Nassau. We have our walls inside the garage and have the same energy provider as Nassau (PSEG). I have not heard of anyone else in Nassau saying they can't install in the garage. That may have been a specific town (some of our towns get pretty maniacal).
New York state is going pretty crazy about ESS indoors from what I can see.

prior to oct 2021 any installs that qualify for the tesla powerwall rebate are coming from block 1 funds. block 2 funds they made a small change which requires an agreement to share energy from powerwall back into the grid during peak hours. which I dont see a big deal.

So, I am not in your area at all, but "REQUIRING an agreement to share energy from the powerwall back to the grid during peak hours" is not a "small deal" its a HUGE deal, and not something I would want tesla agreeing to for me as I would have zero interest in that at all.

I suspect more people who install powerwalls would say "no" to that than yes, unless it was enough to eventually pay for the powerwalls in their entirety (which is the only way I would agree to it).

So, thats not a small deal, its a big deal, and tesla should not be unilaterally agreeing to that on behalf of an entire customer base.

plus the power that is being put back to the grid is getting the net metering credit anyways during peak hours. and during night time I can use the credit to recharge the powerwall back. $6200 is equivalent to 3 years of my electric bill in full.
You cannot charge the Powerwall at night, they can only be charged from solar. You couldn't pay me to have the grid manage my system...

Reactions: h2ofun
and during night time I can use the credit to recharge the powerwall back.

No, you cant (use any credits to charge your powerwall overnight from the grid). Many prospective powerwall owners dont realize it doesnt work that way. Your powerwall in the US will only be charging from solar, so you will be trading your own solar generation to the grid instead of powering your own house, during any situation that they trigger that.

There is absolutely no way that tesla should sign up every customer to do that without their consent, and if the "small change" you mentioned to getting that rebate requires that, they either need to setup a VPP so that those who want it can do it, or not sign up for it at all. Sounds like they chose the latter.

Reactions: jboy210
No, you cant (use any credits to charge your powerwall overnight from the grid). Many prospective powerwall owners dont realize it doesnt work that way. Your powerwall in the US will only be charging from solar, so you will be trading your own solar generation to the grid instead of powering your own house, during any situation that they trigger that.

There is absolutely no way that tesla should sign up every customer to do that without their consent, and if the "small change" you mentioned to getting that rebate requires that, they either need to setup a VPP so that those who want it can do it, or not sign up for it at all. Sounds like they chose the latter.
Plus with the roughly 10-12% energy loss in charging and discharging the walls you will actually lose money doing it (charging your walls off solar and letting the grid deplete them).

So, I am not in your area at all, but "REQUIRING an agreement to share energy from the powerwall back to the grid during peak hours" is not a "small deal" its a HUGE deal, and not something I would want tesla agreeing to for me as I would have zero interest in that at all.

I suspect more people who install powerwalls would say "no" to that than yes, unless it was enough to eventually pay for the powerwalls in their entirety (which is the only way I would agree to it).

So, thats not a small deal, its a big deal, and tesla should not be unilaterally agreeing to that on behalf of an entire customer base.
Add me to the list of people that not give up control of my Powerwall levels for a $6K rebate. If they draw at the wrong time I could be forced to buy power from the grid to backfill my needs. That is not going to happen!