Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm particularly concerned by this in her piece.

I’ve also had a number of talks with my brother, a physician, car aficionado and Tesla fan, who has helped me balance what might have been a tendency to unconsciously side with a seasoned and respected journalist – my own “confirmation bias.”

So, it so happens, her brother is a fan of Tesla. If not, she would have sided with Mr Broder ? Really, this is how she conducts investigations and determines outcomes ? Very unprofessional, to say the least.

I shudder to think what would happen if an NYT "reporter" trashes my product (if I made one), I produce data to prove he misreported, but the NYT editor still sides with the reporter since none of her close relatives know about my product.

Sullivan's response is pathetic! I am beyond livid! After @TeslaRoadTrip there is absolutely nothing left to argue about, and not a single conclusion that is in doubt. I refuse to believe that people can be so blind to measured results.

Combine this non-response with Elon's "Appreciate thoughtful @Sulliview article. Faith in @nytimes restored." tweet and it is clear that he and she made a deal to end the controversy.

Edit:
Also agree with Bonnie's post 1100 and EVNow's post 1108.

Last edited:
Wow, this is getting almost too creepy and weird for the power of a GROUP HUG! But, I'm willing to try if you all are.:smile:

I agree with Bonnie by the way. We can't be stopped by this article.

In the interest of full disclosure: I believe Oswald acted alone, I believe we landed on the moon in July of 1969, and shortly after the ipo I bought enough stock that my Model S is paid for.:wink:

In the meantime, I think I'll go back to the Rated vs Ideal vs Projected thread. It's confusing but not stressful.

"Weak" is generous.

Problems With Precision and Judgment, but Not Integrity, in Tesla Test. So... sloppy and misleading reporting are OK, since it was not intentional.

The best part of the article wasn't written by her. It was the letter she quoted.

How I read Sullivan's response...

-Broder is an idiot, lacks judgement and basic journalist skills.
-Everyone knows this, and told me so.
-The Model S is amazing, everyone loves it including my brother, and everyone else seems to be able to easily do what Broder couldn't.
-But, I don't have enough data on Broder's intent to issue a full retraction and the legal headache that would be.
-I'm grateful that Elon is satisfied with me calling Broder an idiot and saying how much my brother likes Tesla.
-Peace out from the NYT.
*off mic* hey bro, I want a ride as soon as your Model S comes!

-The Model S is amazing, everyone loves it including my brother, and everyone else seems to be able to easily do what Broder couldn't.
-But, I don't have enough data on Broder's intent to issue a full retraction and the legal headache that would be.
-I'm grateful that Elon is satisfied with me calling Broder an idiot and saying how much my brother likes Tesla.
-Peace out from the NYT.

Hehehe excellent translation :biggrin:

-Peace out from the NYT.

^This

In addition, Mr. Broder left himself open to valid criticism by taking what seem to be casual and imprecise notes along the journey, unaware that his every move was being monitored. A little red notebook in the front seat is no match for digitally recorded driving logs, which Mr. Musk has used, in the most damaging (and sometimes quite misleading) ways possible, as he defended his vehicle’s reputation.

This should be a case study in journalism 101. Do your homework, read the manual, understand the factors that affect range and then, after you've read and studied the materials, drive the car. Take accurate and timely notes or memos. Driving and writing is difficult and bad, so use a voice recorder or video the drive using some GoPro cameras.

If this was a test of the supercharger, charge the car to full, or to range mode. Why not compare charging at a Supercharger vs charging at Blink charger and how much superior the Supercharger is.

If you're going to bash a product, make sure you have your facts right.

Weak, that's the word.

Elon made some serious allegations, and backed it up with hard data. Her response (the NYT investigation) is that she had a chat with her brother.

I am particularly disappointed about the clear mistruths spoken by Mr Broder (speed and heat levels).

This is not the New York Times I used to respect.

I guess Elon is right to stop now. A retraction would have been nice, but there has been so much Tesla-positive reactive news to this, perhaps it is time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.