Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Musk said he wanted to bury the hatchet, I'm not sure why he did this interview (which basically rehashed the previous points in his blog). It rightly gives a lot of people an excuse to say that it's Tesla that the one being whiny here. And even being a Tesla fan I'm really tired of hearing this story in the news, I can't imagine the general public. Here's to hoping this is the last that Tesla will ever talk about this story.

Jalopnik on the video (it is also linked there):
http://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-thinks-the-new-york-times-cost-tesla-100-mil-428700912

.... And even being a Tesla fan I'm really tired of hearing this story in the news, I can't imagine the general public. ...

A person in the public has to repeat a message dozens or even hundreds of times to get the word out. You are close.
Some have been saying that the NYT article is the first time that that many people even heard of Tesla. Millions still have not heard of Tesla.

Given Musk said he wanted to bury the hatchet, I'm not sure why he did this interview (which basically rehashed the previous points in his blog). It rightly gives a lot of people an excuse to say that it's Tesla that the one being whiny here. And even being a Tesla fan I'm really tired of hearing this story in the news, I can't imagine the general public. Here's to hoping this is the last that Tesla will ever talk about this story.

Jalopnik on the video (it is also linked there):
http://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-thinks-the-new-york-times-cost-tesla-100-mil-428700912
I occurs to me that Elon is publicly establishing "damages" should this ever escalate to the legal system. Put's it into a different ballpark, IMHO.

Probably because NYT kept piling on.

As far as I can tell, basically the NYT stepped back from what M.Sullivan said, with their new article. So the terms of the hatchet-burrying are not in place anymore. (?)

Besides, I never expected Tesla/Elon not to talk about it anymore, only to rest arguing the matter with additional data, accusations, or evidence, or otherwise changing their point of view.

Tesla said they are "brainstorming" for ideas on how to correct the misperceptions about the Model S resulting from the article, and that's one of the things I expected them to continue doing, in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked up the the tweet from @teslamotors : It said "our final word on ...". In my experience, this means the end of debating an issue, not the end of talking about it. Although I see that some would have wanted that. It generally means "we are confident that this will remain our position, and we are now bringing forward all arguments we think we need".

It's not a promise to shut up, or anything like that. ;)

I occurs to me that Elon is publicly establishing "damages" should this ever escalate to the legal system. Put's it into a different ballpark, IMHO.
Interesting perspective.

Timeline (with some things omitted for brevity)
1. Tesla approaches NYT regarding doing a story on the superchargers
2. NYT delivers a troubling article that attacks the vehicle, and doesn't really test the superchargers
3. Tesla fires back with strong words like "fake"
4. NYT author responds with vagueness
5. Tesla posts blog entry with telemetry data from the test drive
6. NYT author responds with vagueness and outlandish reasoning/justification for his "notes"
7. Model S owner group makes a similar trip, in part to refute the picture painted in #2
8. CNN and other media organizations make a similar trip and report no-drama experiences, with a tone of "very fun car"
9. NYT editor responds with vagueness with a "can't we all be friends" tone that many read as involving a behind-the-scenes agreement between Musk and NYT
10. Tesla accepts editor assessment and is prepared to move on
11. NYT comes out with further responses on an issue that was previously at rest, stirring the pot and in some ways contradicting #9 directly

While some were troubled by the tone and approach with #3 (me included), I think -- so far at least -- Tesla is sitting firmly at #10. When queried about it in interviews, the tone is measured and feels much more like a historical account than an attempt to wake the embers of the quarrel. As we see #11 continue, it's becoming clearer to even the most anti-Tesla and anti-Musk observer that Tesla and Musk are the adults at this point.

Keep piling it on NYT. You're building more legal fuel for a case of intentional malice (or whatever, ask our lawyer types on the forum) from this news debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.