TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NYT: GM, Audi to release AutoPilot-style assistance

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by ohmman, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

The article (subscription potentially required).

The interesting part of this, and I apologize if it has been covered in another thread, is that they're including driver-facing cameras.

If people think that geofencing with speed limitation is restrictive, I can't imagine how they'll feel about that.

It's an interesting workaround, though. Instead of relying solely on the behavior of the car, include the driver's actions in the algorithm. The real question is how long before someone hangs a photo of themselves in front of the camera and climbs in the back seat... :)

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

You mean like your avatar.....with the roaming eyes?

• Like x 1
  3. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

What about sunglasses?

4. outie

outie Member

How about these...

[​IMG]

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The excerpt @ohmman quoted makes clear that those systems are not just monitoring the drivers eyes, but also head position.

I think it sounds like a good idea to attempt to monitor the driver's state of attention on the road. Challenging to do, but worthwhile.

6. McRat

McRat Active Member

It will be interesting to see what the Cadillac system is capable of.

Cadillac has always had a rep for very good software.

My wife has trouble with long range night vision, so she's now looking at the Cadillac night-vision system combined with the Supercruise.

But I'm putting a hold on it until we see if the EREV version of the car is available with the full electronic warfare package. Right now, it's not available in all the trim levels, specifically exempting the 2.0 turbo version, which will be the range extender for the Voltec system available next year.

7. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

I find it an interesting solution to the problem in theory. My main concern would be false negatives causing excessive nagging or reduced functionality.

8. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I'm curious what privacy advocates will have to say about it. Personally, I don't see it being a problem, but I know people have different interpretations of what is and isn't an invasion of privacy.

There's no reason this system can't learn over time. I imagine they can build a pretty good model of driver behavior. It'll be interesting to watch.

I have a friend who works for GM in Austin and he told me a year ago that they had prototype Cadillacs "self-driving" around the parking lot there. Obviously it's been in the works. I'm eager to see how it performs in the real world.

9. McRat

McRat Active Member

The Caddy CT6 (not CTS) are at dealers with Supercruise and Nightvision (+ 180° rearview and bird's eye) right now.

Maybe this weekend I'll put it through the paces to see what retail package is as of 2016. The 2017 is also out, and if they have one, I'll test that instead. Mostly for the nightvision though, but we will test Supercruise as well.

10. somnambule

somnambule Member

For people who already use these driver assist systems sensibly, all this adds is another set of warnings in the user manual to say that the driver monitoring system can't detect all cases of driver distraction. It's not like the manufacturers are going to accept liability if the car crashes while under driver assist and the driver monitoring system didn't trigger a warning. o_O

I haven't been following very closely but I'm pretty sure the current CT6 has a "traditional" lane-keeping assist and Super Cruise is not slated to appear until 2017.

11. theboom1

theboom1 Member

I like this. Driver assistance, not supplementation. Keep your eyes on the road. More please!

12. McRat

McRat Active Member

My bad, you're right. The 2016 has Lane Keep and Adaptive Cruise and Auto Braking. Supercruise will be a step up the food chain:

"When the Cadillac CT6 debuts GM’s new Super Cruise autonomous driving system next year, it will boast an eye-tracking system, something none of its competitors can say.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Super Cruise’s eye-tracking tech will monitor the driver-cum-passenger, checking if they are in fact following the rules and paying attention as promised.

For example, let’s say you fall asleep under the lull of Super Cruise, the system will notice your gaze has gone and begin to aurally and visually poke you awake. Should that not work an OnStar rep will attempt to make contact, finally, if none of that works, the Caddy will casually pull off to the side of the road."
    - Cadillac's Super Cruise Will Track Your Eyes, Unlike Tesla's Autopilot - GM Inside News

13. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

It's about time those systems get more attention and upgrade from more manufacturers. A monitoring of the driver's attention level is indeed a good idea but they'll only be useful for a short period of time - until we get to level 4 automation. After that its usefulness will be restricted to hardcore 'I-will-never-let-the-machine-drive' drivers and the occasional manual drive to remember the old days...