Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYT opinion piece includes Musk criticism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conservatives don't mind Elon being rich, but they hate the way he's doing it - by upsetting the status quo in industries that haven't had their boats rocked in decades.

By definition, conservatives don't like change. Tesla and SpaceX are all about change.

Guess which side I'm on? :cool:

Careful slinging the term around. I may not be a Republican by definition, but I am all about conservation. The last time I heard something so simplistic to describe conservatives, I was in a government-run school in the 80's, being taught Social Studies by someone who lamented Jimmy Carter not getting a second term.

I think it's funny the author calls Tesla's products "toys". If Tesla's cars are "toys" are all the $50K+ Audi, BMW and Mercedes vehicles are "toys", too? :rolleyes:

I think a big issue critics has to do with Tesla's top-down approach. While that's how almost every successful/widespread product started they are impatient and/or don't think Tesla will really make an affordable EV. Maybe they need to go read Musk's Secret Master Plan.

I just skipped to searching the article for "Musk" on each page. I suppose an article which does away Tesla by merely saying "toys for the affluent" isn't worth reading in the first place. It may take 4 more years but then those silly excuses for a real argument will be done with. :)

I really don't have a stance on any of this, but it seems like the author is coming from the conservative viewpoint of "government allocation of capital is highly inefficient/wasteful, and is highly motivated by politics" Regardless of my own beliefs, I'm a little surprised (and quite disappointed) that not a single person has made a comment noting how from that viewpoint, the government loan to Tesla and other companies is a bad idea.

If the government can't loan money to companies or industries it deems important for growth because it's the government then it also shouldn't hand out large defense contracts, give corporations tax breaks (I think 1/4 corporations pay 0% effective tax rate), the billions of dollars in tax breaks (not loans) to oil and gas a year...etc. It just boils down to one side seeing their spending as amazing and the other side's spending as wasteful government spending. A representative never seems to complain about an airplane engine being built in their district for a fighter jet the military says they don't want and that can be billions of dollars. Yes, there is a lot of waste going on I just find it funny for someone to criticize a small loan to Tesla but ignore the more larger tax gifts given to other companies and industries.

Wiki has the best definition, history, and use in different countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism

United States

Main article: Conservatism in the United States

President Ronald Reagan in 1982
The meaning of "conservatism" in America has little in common with the way the word is used elsewhere. As Ribuffo (2011) notes, "what Americans now call conservatism much of the world calls liberalism or neoliberalism."[108] Since the 1950s conservatism in the United States has been chiefly associated with the Republican Party. However, during the era of segregation many Southern Democrats were conservatives, and they played a key role in the Conservative Coalition that controlled Congress from 1937 to 1963.[109]

Major movements within American conservatism include support for tradition, law-and-order, Christianity, anti-communism, and a defense of "Western civilization from the challenges of modernist culture and totalitarian governments."[110] Economic conservatives and libertarians favor small government, low taxes, limited regulation, and free enterprise. Social conservatives see traditional social values as threatened by secularism, so they support school prayer and oppose abortion and homosexuality.[111] Neoconservatives want to expand American ideals throughout the world and show a strong support for Israel.[112] Paleoconservatives, in opposition to multiculturalism, press for restrictions on immigration.[113] Most U.S. conservatives prefer Republicans over Democrats, and most factions favor a strong foreign policy and a strong military. The conservative movement of the 1950s attempted to bring together these divergent strands, stressing the need for unity to prevent the spread of "Godless Communism", which Reagan later labeled an "evil empire".[114] During the Reagan administration, conservatives also supported the so-called "Reagan Doctrine" under which the U.S., as part of a Cold War strategy, provided military and other support to guerrilla insurgencies that were fighting governments aligned with the Soviet Union.

Other modern conservative beliefs include opposition to a world government and skepticism about the importance or validity of various environmental issues.[115]

Most recently, the Tea Party movement, founded in 2009, has proven a large outlet for populist American conservative ideas. Their stated goals include rigorous adherence to the U.S. Constitution, lower taxes, and opposition to a growing role for the federal government in health care. Electorally, it was considered a key force in Republicans reclaiming control of the U.S. House of Representatives in 2010.[116][117]

Which does not seem in conflict with a reluctance to accept change.

Actually, no. Political conservatives want change. For them the status quo is unsatisfactory as it involves too much government intervention that they see as supporting the moral corruption of society and a deviation from the individualistic aims of the US Constitution.

If someone thinks that
- individual economic freedom is great
- pollution isn't a big deal
- there's plenty of petroleum
- the government shouldn't impose additional costs on businesses
then they are liable to think that gasoline vehicles are better than EVs.

Now, they may deny some realities, because reality would force them to shift their opinions but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't accept change. I suspect a lot of political conservative have cellphones, computers and LCD TVs and they have changed their lives dramatically, and they'd be happy to buy a BEV that provided exactly the same utility as a gasoline vehicle at the same price.