TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NYT SundayReview: "Is This (electric car) Our Future?

Discussion in 'News' started by Mycroft, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

#1 Mycroft, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    Op-Ed from last Sunday's NYT by Joe Nocera: Is This Our Future?

Very interesting piece from a "normal" ICE kind of guy who's had a bit of an epiphany with the Volt. Some quotes:

2. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

#2 Mycroft, Jun 27, 2011
    The only dealer in my area that has one, wants over $52,000 for a Volt! :scared: With sales tax, that brings it to about $58,000. And GM isn't making a profit? Wow!

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

The dealer is...

4. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I linked to it, but they can be hard to see. LINKY

5. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

That's a well written article, much better than most newspaper columns linked to from TMC. His simplified description of the Volt's powertrain was closer to what happens in practice than GM's marketing department might have liked ;-)

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

^ it wasn't a question :smile:

7. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

As much as some folks get ruffled about the Volt being called an EV, I think this article highlights why fighting that battle isn't the right place to take a stand. As Volt owners start to realize how little they need gas, they'll start to ask themselves whether they should just go pure EV. If it takes the Volt as a stepping stone to get to that point, then it's serving a useful purpose.

8. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

@ckessel I'll call it whatever works as long as it gets a bum in the drivers seat!

9. shark2k

shark2k Member

Haha, I was thinking of the wrong kind of bum :tongue:.

-Shark2k

10. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I don't care; as long as they have the cash for a deposit :)

11. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

My concern with an article like this is that it equates Volts and Priuses (Priusi?) with BEVs. Much of the benefit I'm looking forward to with the Model S is no more gas stations (ever), no more oil changes, no more ICE parts to be maintained or replaced when they break down. Volt is evolutionary, and Tesla is more revolutionary. I'd also add that driving a Volt or a Prius isn't nearly as much fun as a Roadster is, or I expect the Model S will be. I buy the notion that the only way electrics will be truly successful is if they are more fun to drive than regular ICEs. My kids are as or more excited for the 17 inch touch screen as they are for the rest of the car, and it's a major selling point to friends I've gotten to put down deposits.

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#12 Norbert, Jun 27, 2011
    It seems the author of the article is the perfect customer for the Volt. As long as GM marketing will let us continue to think in a straightforward manner, I don't mind if he buys one. ;)

13. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

14. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Exactly. The Volt is simply not the same thing as an EV, so it should not be called one.
    Translation, we really want pure EV's, the Volt is not one. We already have batteries that can get 300 miles per charge and Tesla is building an EV that will do that. DBM may have an even better way to do it, neither one will have an ICE in it.

15. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I really think the Volt is a great stepping stone. I really wish I could drive my Roadster more places but I cannot as the infrastructure out East is terrible. If I want to go for a weekend drive with the wife on the Blue Ridge parkway, easily 300 miles, I can't because chargers are not available and I am not going to drive at 35 mph with no A/C to make that range. Drive to the beach, no way as that is 400 miles. I have to make a 450 mile trip to Missouri as I am appearing on an electric car show but it is way too complicated to figure out how to charge the car and a 3 day trip becomes a 5 day trip with charging. I am sorry but that is not what most people want from their car.
    With the possiblity of bad weather, or the need for heat or A/C I am limited to about 100 miles.

PS our local Chevy dealer has had two Volts and sold them both quickly for sticker. I am proud there is no over charging.