Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYTimes: Fatal Tesla Crash Draws In Transportation Safety Board

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume it happens in softer ways. Industry lobbyists. Legislators. Legislators know people working at regulatory agencies. Phone calls get made expressing "concern." The revolving door between government jobs and fat industry jobs. No lobbyists explicitly call for Tesla to be punished - they just keep expressing how we need standards, how we need more time to study the issue, how safety is paramount - yada yada yada. Trot out their company scientists to provide industry white papers and express their grave concern (and thousands of pages of internally generated technical data) for the public, etc.
I suppose but government regulators are difficult to get at and besides we are talking a very, very small market segment but yeah it could happen.

I suppose but government regulators are difficult to get at and besides we are talking a very, very small market segment but yeah it could happen.

I'm confused. What do you mean by "difficult to get at" when Congress controls the regulators budgets? And I got lost when you said small market segment... aren't we talking about shaking up not only the entire automotive industry, but the oil industry as well?

Reactions: Topher and lklundin
Big oil, dealer associations = influence Republican side

GM, Ford, Unions, Trial Lawyers = Democrat side

Tesla has stirred up a hornets nest of attacks from both sides. Add in media interests influenced by both those parties & ad dollars and Tesla is under attack from all sides.

3 rollout is critical.....politicians like to ride success and a hit will get some to jump on the Tesla band wagon. And, Elon needs to spread some money around with lobbyists and ad dollars. It shouldn't have to be this way but that's the way our economy now works.

You have a very 'pure' view of the world. Wish it was true ( sorry as I get older I'm increasingly skeptical of the political class willingness to do what's right vs their own self interest ).

In every economic system, Government bureaucracy is run by people who are heavily influenced by the self interests of the political and/or monied class.

I'm confused. What do you mean by "difficult to get at" when Congress controls the regulators budgets? And I got lost when you said small market segment... aren't we talking about shaking up not only the entire automotive industry, but the oil industry as well?
What I mean is they are difficult to corrupt and that's a good thing. If a Senator, Congressman, lobbyist, etc, attempts undue pressure they will report it or leak it and it's bad news for the elected official or lobbyist. There's a lot of oversight of these agencies. Congress does control the purse strings but it would take a majority to do that and the consequence to a regulator such as the SEC or NTSB would be less monitoring and enforcement so the public loses in that scenario. Congress tends to stay away from those kinds of threats these days.

Regarding the small maket segment I was referring to the number of EV's on the road versus ICE which I think is under 2%? (not sure about those numbers but it's relatively small). I remember reading the other day (from a EV site) of an estimate of 15% by 2022. My point is that's not a big enough threat...yet. I'm sure it's a concern to the ICE automotive manufacturers but their response so far has been to compete in the EV market not kill it. Oil companies have a lot bigger problems to deal with than this right now.

What I mean is they are difficult to corrupt and that's a good thing. If a Senator, Congressman, lobbyist, etc, attempts undue pressure they will report it or leak it and it's bad news for the elected official or lobbyist. There's a lot of oversight of these agencies. Congress does control the purse strings but it would take a majority to do that and the consequence to a regulator such as the SEC or NTSB would be less monitoring and enforcement so the public loses in that scenario. Congress tends to stay away from those kinds of threats these days.

Regarding the small maket segment I was referring to the number of EV's on the road versus ICE which I think is under 2%? (not sure about those numbers but it's relatively small). I remember reading the other day (from a EV site) of an estimate of 15% by 2022. My point is that's not a big enough threat...yet. I'm sure it's a concern to the ICE automotive manufacturers but their response so far has been to compete in the EV market not kill it. Oil companies have a lot bigger problems to deal with than this right now.

Well, in our current system regulatory bodies do get lobbied by various industries to influence how regulations get implemented. For example, the trucking industry has lobbied the NHTSA hard to keep the safety barrier systems on the sides and rear of trucks minimal even though the extreme dangers of those types of accidents are well known.

Lobbying various regulators is one of the largest "hidden" influence system we have today. Most folks don't know that regulators ARE influenced by industry groups and chose their regulations accordingly. There is also a "revolving door" of former regulators being employed by the industry or lobbying groups after their service time in office.

NHTSA Chief David Strickland Gets Caught in the Revolving Door | Streetsblog USA

Now, I think the current head of the NHTSA is pretty agressive on fighting for more safety and has really been cracking down on the industry, but in the past that hasn't always been true.

Reactions: Pdub2015 and msnow
You have a very 'pure' view of the world. Wish it was true ( sorry as I get older I'm increasingly skeptical of the political class willingness to do what's right vs their own self interest ).

In every economic system, Government bureaucracy is run by people who are heavily influenced by the self interests of the political and/or monied class.
Totally understand your point of view but I'm not pure or idealistic. There's just too many controls in place and eyes watching than there used to be even 10 years ago. I'm not saying it couldn't or doesn't happen, I'm just saying it's very difficult and the politicians self interest notwithstanding they don't want to get caught doing something that will cause them to lose their jobs.

Well, in our current system regulatory bodies do get lobbied by various industries to influence how regulations get implemented. For example, the trucking industry has lobbied the NHTSA hard to keep the safety barrier systems on the sides and rear of trucks minimal even though the extreme dangers of those types of accidents are well known.

Lobbying various regulators is one of the largest "hidden" influence system we have today. Most folks don't know that regulators ARE influenced by industry groups and chose their regulations accordingly. There is also a "revolving door" of former regulators being employed by the industry or lobbying groups after their service time in office.

NHTSA Chief David Strickland Gets Caught in the Revolving Door | Streetsblog USA

Now, I think the current head of the NHTSA is pretty agressive on fighting for more safety and has really been cracking down on the industry, but in the past that hasn't always been true.
Agree but I think lobbying for regulations is different from trying to influence an enforcement action or an investigation. It happens though I'm sure.

Reactions: Az_Rael
- they just keep expressing how we need standards, how we need more time to study the issue, how safety is paramount - yada yada yada. etc.

I agree!
We don't need standards and any studies.
Safety is totes overrated. The paramount issue is not safety.

If someone wants to buy a new Corvair they don't need the government with their yada yada about safety and standards getting in the way.

• Disagree
Reactions: imherkimer
The New York Times is a rag? That's ridiculous. They have more Pulitzers and the top reporters around the world working for them. Having said that no one gets everything right 100% of the time.

Hilarious. I'm glad Pulitzers make the grade for you. Funny that my calling the Times a rag got your gander up. I wasn't singling it out from any of the mainstream media, except for the fact that they had just published another hit piece on Tesla. An opinion no less.

But since we're talking about the Times - yeah the rag that ran headline stories in 2001 quoting "anonymous sources" in the White House that were actually Dick Cheney and Judith Miller just talking over coffee and helped legitimize a false story and meme that put this country into war that has never ended. Yeah that rag.

So you're in the 'business'. That must make you right. Lol.

• Disagree
Reactions: CliffG and msnow
Hilarious. I'm glad Pulitzers make the grade for you. Funny that my calling the Times a rag got your gander up. I wasn't singling it out from any of the mainstream media, except for the fact that they had just published another hit piece on Tesla. An opinion no less.

But since we're talking about the Times - yeah the rag that ran headline stories in 2001 quoting "anonymous sources" in the White House that were actually Dick Cheney and Judith Miller just talking over coffee and helped legitimize a false story and meme that put this country into war that has never ended. Yeah that rag.

So you're in the 'business'. That must make you right. Lol.
Calm down, relax. I'm not in the business, yes Pulitzer's mean something. Don't have a clue about the rambling Cheney comment but I guess you have a problem with the media. Dont bother explaining we can just end it here. Sheesh.

• Disagree
Reactions: traxila and Topher
Warning: opinion forthcoming...

To me, Pulitzers mean about as much as Oscars and Emmys, which mean they have great value to those in the industry, some value to those who follow the industry, and nearly zero value when it comes to signifying good "journalism" or compelling filmmaking. While I'm not as up to date on the Pulitzer award process (translation: I have no idea), considering the general state of journalism these days, I clearly don't have much faith in it.

Disclosure: former film and TV producer here.

To me, Pulitzers mean about as much as Oscars and Emmys, which mean they have great value to those in the industry, some value to those who follow the industry, and nearly zero value when it comes to signifying good "journalism" or compelling filmmaking. While I'm not as up to date on the Pulitzer award process (translation: I have no idea), considering the general state of journalism these days, I clearly don't have much faith in it.

Agree, it means recognition within the industry usually from the peer group.

Pdub, don't see any opinions there. Looks to me like you stated some pretty simple and most generally accepted facts in a clear and concise manner. Thank you for the post.

Reactions: Pdub2015
Pdub, don't see any opinions there. Looks to me like you stated some pretty simple and most generally accepted facts in a clear and concise manner. Thank you for the post.
Here's some facts:
1. Yes the Pulitzer is the "Oscars" for newspapers and the NYT has won about 10 of them in the last few years (more than any other paper).
2. NYT has the second highest circulation in the U.S. (WSJ is #1).
3. NYT has the #1 rated website (6 years in a row)
4. The Washinton Post, a competitor, ranks the NYT as #1 in the U.S.

You do like the message of this post so you shoot the messenger but a "rag" it is not by any measure. And it's not my "opinion" it's their industry that says that. Let the facts speak for themselves.

• Disagree
Reactions: traxila
Here's some facts:
1. Yes the Pulitzer is the "Oscars" for newspapers and the NYT has won about 10 of them in the last few years (more than any other paper).
2. NYT has the second highest circulation in the U.S. (WSJ is #1).
3. NYT has the #1 rated website (6 years in a row)
4. The Washinton Post, a competitor, ranks the NYT as #1 in the U.S.

You do like the message of this post so you shoot the messenger but a "rag" it is not by any measure. And it's not my "opinion" it's their industry that says that. Let the facts speak for themselves.

Your last message was to agree to disagree and let it go. 'Sheesh'. I believe you said. And yet here you are, acting as if you have been personally attacked and continuing. Your latest response to me has to with a reply I made to Pdub that had nothing to do with you.

Congratulations on your worship of the New York Times and their associate newspapers who dominate the mainstream media. I am sure their thirst for the objective truth is relentless and on target. Please continue to drink the kool aid and move on. As you said, sheesh!

Your last message was to agree to disagree and let it go. 'Sheesh'. I believe you said. And yet here you are, acting as if you have been personally attacked and continuing. Your latest response to me has to with a reply I made to Pdub that had nothing to do with you.

Congratulations on your worship of the New York Times and their associate newspapers who dominate the mainstream media. I am sure their thirst for the objective truth is relentless and on target. Please continue to drink the kool aid and move on. As you said, sheesh!
You're welcome and thank you.