Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYTimes: Fatal Tesla Crash Draws In Transportation Safety Board

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if GM and the others were pressuring the government behind the scenes to come down hard on Tesla in an effort suppress competition via government regulation.

Jeff
I think this is more a situation of regulators doing what they think is their job particularly in light of the heavy national/international media coverage.

Sad certainly. But predictable. There are no papers or 'mainstream' media news sources now that are not rags. And the Times is very much a rag with an obvious agenda towards Tesla's demise that can only be advertiser inspired.

Funny thing about all news sources in general - when they write an article about something you are actually expert on you realize they don't have a clue on the matter. But for some reason everyone forgets that as they read articles on other matters and decide the views expressed must have some merit because after all, this is a legitimate news source. lol

Sad certainly. But predictable. There are no papers or 'mainstream' media news sources now that are not rags. And the Times is very much a rag with an obvious agenda towards Tesla's demise that can only be advertiser inspired.

Funny thing about all news sources in general - when they write an article about something you are actually expert on you realize they don't have a clue on the matter. But for some reason everyone forgets that as they read articles on other matters and decide the views expressed must have some merit because after all, this is a legitimate news source. lol
The New York Times is a rag? That's ridiculous. They have more Pulitzers and the top reporters around the world working for them. Having said that no one gets everything right 100% of the time.

• Disagree
Reactions: traxila
I posted this info a few days ago in the thread related to the crash but it got buried by discussions about that advocacy group's letter. Glad someone started a new thread so we can discuss it.

Since the NTSB is looking at the broader picture of these systems, it should be interesting to see their findings. I know they have done studies related to aircraft autopilot and pilot distractions, so I will be interested as to their findings with regards to cars.

I do think that as many agencies that are now looking into this that the chances of no new regulations are slim to none.

Driver Automation to Be Scrutinized in NTSB Probe of Tesla Crash

Reactions: msnow
I posted this info a few days ago in the thread related to the crash but it got buried by discussions about that advocacy group's letter. Glad someone started a new thread so we can discuss it.

Since the NTSB is looking at the broader picture of these systems, it should be interesting to see their findings. I know they have done studies related to aircraft autopilot and pilot distractions, so I will be interested as to their findings with regards to cars.

I do think that as many agencies that are now looking into this that the chances of no new regulations are slim to none.

Driver Automation to Be Scrutinized in NTSB Probe of Tesla Crash
Agree 100%.

The New York Times is a rag? That's ridiculous. They have more Pulitzers and the top reporters around the world working for them. Having said that no one gets everything right 100% of the time.

Nah--with some exceptions and similar to their industry, NYT is now an opinion paper with articles positioned across their sections to express a view vs. necessarily the facts. I've been reading/ a subscriber of the paper since 1960 (current as well) and over time it morphed from Adoplh Ochs ""All the News That's Fit to Print".

Reflection of this era I suppose with all media outlets (both Right and Left are covered) essentially spouting a political point of view....

btw: big money does influence the press (and despite Ochs statements, the political and money class influenced the press years ago as well)....let's hope Tesla gets fair treatment.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Read it but as I recall that was written almost a hundred years ago when the NYT was considered the most important paper in the world. Anyway, we will just have to agree to disagree on this.

Yep. 100 years ago, Sinclair laid out an extremely strong case that the Times (both NY and LA), the Associated Press and most major newspapers were first and foremost beholden to the companies that paid for their advertising, even to the direct detriment of the subscriber base, and the truth itself. What makes you think anything has changed?

Yep. 100 years ago, Sinclair laid out an extremely strong case that the Times (both NY and LA), the Associated Press and most major newspapers were first and foremost beholden to the companies that paid for their advertising, even to the direct detriment of the subscriber base, and the truth itself. What makes you think anything has changed?
Having been in this business years ago selling advertising for large national magazines I know that you (and Sinclair) are partly right. Advertisers do try to influence editors and writers BUT most times are not successful. An independent press is one of the greatest and most important things in a free society and reporters are generally very independent true believers that are hard to corrupt. But you're right, it does happen on occasion. I doubt this is one of them. There are about two dozen major media organizations running this story, surely they all can't be corrupted.

The observation I will contribute to this thread is that technology has been changing the game/definition of what is called 'reporting'. With so many bloggers, journalists and others that can access an audience through the screens we carry, we are in a race to the bottom for views. When the news cycle is measured sometimes in hours and even minutes, there is tremendous pressure to jump on and off bandwagons to get the views to keep one relevant/in business. I think reporters at all outlets feel the pressure and some are adjusting the way and what they report.

Last edited:
If that kind of thing ever came out it would be extremely damaging to both GM and the regulator. Lots of people would be in trouble, it may also be a crime.

I assume it happens in softer ways. Industry lobbyists. Legislators. Legislators know people working at regulatory agencies. Phone calls get made expressing "concern." The revolving door between government jobs and fat industry jobs. No lobbyists explicitly call for Tesla to be punished - they just keep expressing how we need standards, how we need more time to study the issue, how safety is paramount - yada yada yada. Trot out their company scientists to provide industry white papers and express their grave concern (and thousands of pages of internally generated technical data) for the public, etc.