TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NYTimes: The Electric Car and the Road Not Taken

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by TEG, Oct 25, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It's a no-win situation with these people. Either that or she needs her eyes tested.

2. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Where on earth did that come from?
    Everyone I speak with thinks the Tesla Roadster and Model S are drop dead gorgeous cars. Most of the reviews from others in the media seem to say the same.

I will agree that the Nissan Leaf looks dull.
    However the Chevy Volt is an attractive car.

This person, Alice Rawsthorn, is clueless. She referred to eletric cars as having engines.

3. Serge

Serge Member

Apparently, Ms. Rawsthorn finds McLaren MP4-12C "foxie" enough as well as the Concorde. Some musings on what makes design "good" or "bad":
    Are we missing something here?

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Easy to criticize when it's not your money. Selling a really cool car to 10 people is being done by designers every day.

It's that finding niche or the "code" of the electric car has only been flirted with to date.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I had read this article earlier and found nothing of value it in. The extent of her "reporting" is two quotes from un-named sources (which "for obvious reasons, wished to speak anonymously") with nothing particularly profound to say.
    Curious what she thinks of the Aptera... Scratch that. I don't care what she thinks.

6. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I'll actually agree with her on the fact that the Model S in my eyes is not sexy. It's not supposed to be sexy, it's supposed to be a timeliss classic. And just like the Aston Martin and Jaguar designs it does look like a modern classic. It's a lot more down-key than the Karma f.inst. and that is exactly why I think the Model S looks so much better than the Karma.

Designwise the Roadster looks fast but not spectacular, and again I think that is good. It looks a lot less insectlike than the Lotus it's shape is based on and a lot more nice or expensive :)

Cobos

7. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Model S is far from staid!! It would be great to get all these "experts" together and have them design a vehicle.

Cobos, as long a Tesla sticks with the original design, Model S will be a timeless classic.