Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NZ Car of the Year…lol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So once again the paid shills at Driven have chosen 10 cars to be nominated for Car of the Year.

Amazingly 9 of them are EVs but conspicuous by its absence is the Model 3. As usual, they fawned all over the Audi and the EQC and even the lame Mazda MX30….but no mention of the EV that is thrashing them all in global & NZ sales - Tesla Model 3. Hell, even the MG ZS is missing from their lineup.

But, I hear you say, Model 3 was nominated in 2019. Well actually it won the never before heard-of award “Executive Car of the Year” - code for “it’s by far the best but Tesla isn’t allowed to win”.

So what does Model 3 have to do to get some recognition here? Does Elon need to pay some people off? Do we need to send the Driven staff on a free holiday to Queenstown? Maybe free supercharging in New Plymouth and Turangi - oh wait, they tried that and got rejected.

Reactions: David Sowden
I wonder how much of those that are included in the car of the year is proportional to their advertising spend

A bit like like how the US government won't mention Tesla
Maybe hoping you don't say the name, the bogeyman wont get you, we can all keep pretending, and it will all go away

Reactions: David Sowden
I just went to drive.co.nz and the Model 3 was one of the cars you could vote for. Peoples Choice Award. Perhaps public pressure has made them relent and include it. Now all you need to do is vote.
well... it would be few hundred tesla loyal/investor against thousands if not millions of Audi, BMW, Mercedes fans... for people's choice award in New Zealand.
when comes to car build quality, I guess Tesla not in game yet with quality of production delivery cars.... however, connected car experience, Audi connect and most others are much behind Tesla... so probably driven considers car build quality/finishing as well.... no-one knows.
Tesla is not mentioned by most governments because of all false claim of technological advancement and full self-driving capabilities... if Elon Musk can't explain it, hard for not technical politicians to explain it.

I think you underestimate the number of non Tesla owning, Tesla fans.
I own a Model S in the rare colour of “Anza Brown” that still gets stared at every day despite being 7 years old in a month.
In any case, “Let the people decide”. :cool:
true said...
been with tesla for sometime, not 7 years but 2 months (5 months if include waiting time), long way for tesla to go before buying my vote of confidence with experience so far... bought tesla car because my wife was tesla fan - she isn't anymore 😂

I mean any car with WOF should be able to turn on every single day, even after 15 years on odometer. but happy to see you love the car 👍

At least they're giving the option of charging credit for the competition prize!

1637541362331.png

From Scoop News
From 10 judged categories, eight winners have elements of electrification, reinforcing the changing market. Kia’s new Sorento (with PHEV option) took out Large SUV, Tesla’s Model 3 (BEV) won the Passenger class, Ford’s Escape was chosen as best PHEV, Peugeot’s e-208 GT was picked as the best battery electric vehicle/BEV, and Hyundai’s Ioniq 5 (BEV) took out the Luxury class. The Subaru Outback also scored highest in ANCAP crash testing to take home the AA Safety Award for 2021.

The popular People’s Choice, voted on by almost 50,000 New Zealanders, awarded the Tesla Model 3 as the most popular car for 2021, a fitting tribute to a model that, while not new, still resonates with current and future buyers.

Congratulations to all the finalists, class winners and the overall 2021 AA DRIVEN New Zealand Car of the Year, the Toyota GR Yaris.

2021 AA DRIVEN NZ Car of the Year WINNERS
Small SUV: Toyota GR Yaris
Medium SUV: Toyota RAV4
Large SUV: Kia Sorento
Passenger (sedan, hatch, wagon): Tesla Model 3
Light Commercial Vehicle (ute/van): Toyota Hilux
Clean & Green
Hybrid: Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Plug-in Hybrid EV: Ford Escape PHEV
Battery EV: Peugeot e-208 GT
Luxury ($100k+): Hyundai Ioniq 5
Sports & Performance: Toyota GR Yaris
AA Safety Award: Subaru Outback
AA DRIVEN People’s Choice: Tesla Model 3
Car of the Year overall: Toyota GR Yaris

Reactions: CAM3RON
Massive shadenfreud at Driven.co.nz.

I love these quotes -

“we decided to make it 11 and include the Tesla Model 3, as recognition of the growing important of EVs in the NZ market in 2021”.

Translation - it wasn’t German enough for us to nominate it but then tens of thousands of people said we were wrong.

Next - “The Tesla Model 3 wildcard triumphed, showing how tastes have changed in what has surely also been the year of the EV in NZ”.

Translation - we at Driven fart in your general direction with your choice of vehicle. Next time a German car that suits our tastes must win.

Ah classic!