TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Oakland/Berkeley, CA: Hotel Charging in East Bay?

Discussion in 'California' started by DouglasR, Nov 10, 2013.

1. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

We'll be driving down from Seattle to Oakland/Berkeley in the next few days, and looking for good charging options. I know there is a charge station at the Sheraton in Emeryville, but it is apparently so busy it can't be counted on. It looks like there are a few chargers around Jack London Square, and some hotels there as well, but how safe is it to leave the car overnight at the Jack London Square garage?

In the past, I've stayed with my brother in Marin; he has good charging facilities. But I'd prefer to stay a little closer to where we will be spending most of our time. Any recommendations for hotels?

BTW, when the Vacaville supercharger is open, this will be less of an issue, as I will arrive with more juice in the battery.

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

There's also the Supercharger at the Tesla Factory in Fremont just about 30 miles south for a quick topup.

3. JPP

JPP Active Member

Assume you looked on Chargepoint/Recargo? Free chargers at Whole Foods Markets.

4. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

Yes, thanks. I have looked at Recargo and I'm familiar with the supercharger in Fremont. The problem with both is that we will probably be doing a lot of running around, and either waiting for a slow charge or driving down to Fremont and back would take a substantial chunk out of the day. So I want to focus first on overnight charging opportunities. If I can't find that, I will look for other opportunities. I do have twin chargers and an S-to-Roadster adapter, so it will probably pay to check Plugshare for residential chargers. If I can charge at 70 or 80 amps, I wouldn't need to leave the car overnight.