TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Obama Administration Announces New Actions To Accelerate EVs

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Beckler, Nov 3, 2016.

1. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I thought the most hilarious part of this announcement was, mixed with more substantial EV commitments:

Great!!!

I read through the whole thing hoping I'd see "Mississippi commits to calling Prius drivers pansies less frequently by end of 2025…" or something...

• Funny x 2
  2. Beckler

Beckler Member

:D Yes, must be they be so aggressive?? I mean TWO hybrids to plug-in hybrids?

Anyway I'm wondering why Tesla isn't on the long list of those aiding in these 'corridors'.

3. Gig103

Gig103 Member

This is very good, but the cynic in me can't help but feel a little bit like it's being driven by the auto lobby who don't want to fund their own infrastructure like Tesla did with the Supercharger network

• Like x 2
  4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Only a little bit?

• Funny x 1
  5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

This appears to me to just be a roadside sign program. Similar to the occasional blue propane here signs I occasionally see.

The requirement to be listed as an EV Highway is -

Includes DCFC and Level 2, 50 miles between stations, 5 miles from highway, public stations only.

• Informative x 1
  6. Gig103

Gig103 Member

DCFC and Level 2?

Because more DC charging would be awesome for EVs. We have it with Supercharging, but now that new Teslas won't have unlimited for free, this might prompt more competition and lower prices.

7. miimura

miimura Active Member

Yes, when you're talking about basic infrastructure in the middle of nowhere, it's important to have the Level 2 there so you aren't stranded by a broken L3 charger. You need the L2 so you can at least get enough charge to make it to the next L3 station down the highway. It might set you back an hour or two, but it's probably faster than waiting for a tow to get there.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It also gives people something to do while they're waiting for the one CHAdeMO or CCS charging port to become available.

• Like x 1
  9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I'm still confused about this program -

1. It says I-45 is "signage ready" between Dallas and Huntsville
    2. The EV requirement says - Includes DCFC and Level 2, 50 miles between stations, 5 miles from highway, public stations only.
    3. I look at plugshare and I don't see much between Dallas and Huntsville on I-45. Just the Corsacana SpC and a few RV parks.

No idea what "signage ready" means. Does the SpC make it DCFC? Or no, because it is not really public stations only.

I might be confused by the lack of info on the web page and I didn't check any other claimed roads.

10. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

This is absolutely dead, as of Election Day, 8 November 2016,

11. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

True.

But when I read through it, I felt like it was a dead action anyway.