Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obama Administration Announces New Actions To Accelerate EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the most hilarious part of this announcement was, mixed with more substantial EV commitments:

Montana’s State Energy Office commits to swapping out two hybrid vehicles for two plug-in hybrid electric vehicles in 2017. These vehicles will be the first plug-in electric vehicles in Montana’s state fleet

Great!!!

I read through the whole thing hoping I'd see "Mississippi commits to calling Prius drivers pansies less frequently by end of 2025…" or something...

• Funny
Reactions: Jeff N and Sather
This appears to me to just be a roadside sign program. Similar to the occasional blue propane here signs I occasionally see.

The requirement to be listed as an EV Highway is -

Includes DCFC and Level 2, 50 miles between stations, 5 miles from highway, public stations only.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
DCFC and Level 2?

Because more DC charging would be awesome for EVs. We have it with Supercharging, but now that new Teslas won't have unlimited for free, this might prompt more competition and lower prices.
Yes, when you're talking about basic infrastructure in the middle of nowhere, it's important to have the Level 2 there so you aren't stranded by a broken L3 charger. You need the L2 so you can at least get enough charge to make it to the next L3 station down the highway. It might set you back an hour or two, but it's probably faster than waiting for a tow to get there.

Yes, when you're talking about basic infrastructure in the middle of nowhere, it's important to have the Level 2 there so you aren't stranded by a broken L3 charger. You need the L2 so you can at least get enough charge to make it to the next L3 station down the highway. It might set you back an hour or two, but it's probably faster than waiting for a tow to get there.
It also gives people something to do while they're waiting for the one CHAdeMO or CCS charging port to become available.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I'm still confused about this program -

1. It says I-45 is "signage ready" between Dallas and Huntsville
2. The EV requirement says - Includes DCFC and Level 2, 50 miles between stations, 5 miles from highway, public stations only.
3. I look at plugshare and I don't see much between Dallas and Huntsville on I-45. Just the Corsacana SpC and a few RV parks.

No idea what "signage ready" means. Does the SpC make it DCFC? Or no, because it is not really public stations only.

I might be confused by the lack of info on the web page and I didn't check any other claimed roads.