TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

OBD Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by K-MTG, Jun 14, 2016.

1. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

2. K-MTG

$5 to add to my data plan seems to be a good deal

3. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

I got the AT&T ZTE OBD2 hotspot and it works like a charm. I actually use it instead of the tesla paid data connection while driving, web browser is a lot faster, music loads instantly. it was $10/month. I am using it between 2 vehicles and am in the process of making an adapter to have it operate on 110V or portable battery.

• Informative x 3
  4. K-MTG

Nice! Does it work when the car is off?

5. K-MTG

Placed the order for the Verizon one, hopefully it will work

6. Poiuy09

Poiuy09 Member

@K-MTG - Not sure if you checked this - Delphi website says it's not compatible with a Tesla - Car Fitment Guide

7. K-MTG

Yea I saw that but I assumed that was for the OBD diagnostic features and I hope the wifi hotspot is independently controlled. If it doesn't work I will just return it

8. Poiuy09

Poiuy09 Member

Awesome. I was looking at this myself. Glad you are checking this out before I have my X. Please update on how it goes.

9. K-MTG

Also ordered the Zubie will try both and see which one works

10. systemcrashed

I don't think so, the network is only available when the car is on. You can remotely power the car using the app, then the network with be online.

11. K-MTG

I guess I won't be able to use it for my dashcam I guess. So the SSID disappears when the car is powered off?

How are you planning on powering it with a portable battery? Perhaps some tweaking will allow it to remain powered all the time?

12. systemcrashed

I'm not sure yet, I just ordered an ODB2 wiring harness to experiment, it might be possible to power it using the 12V power outlet in the trunk... I think I read somewhere that that was continuous power?

13. K-MTG

I know that the OBD port provides constant 12V on the Tesla already since others tapped into it for a dashcam. Surprised that is shuts off when the car is off. Let me know what you use to keep it continuously powered.

14. systemcrashed

There may be more than one +ve (one constant and one ACC) in the OBD2 harness, the hotspot might be using the ACC. I will spend some more time investigating tomorrow.

15. K-MTG

Great please keep us posted!

If you can identify the ACC pin on the OBD port, it would be a simple matter of combing it with the constant wire thus constant power.

would appreciate it if you can provide a link of what you used so I can follow the same project

16. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

Um, you might have heard that from me. It might only be true for my old model X and not be reproducible on other's.
    That car has had at least two 12v batteries replaced... this may be correlated with the 12v sockets being on 24/7 in that car.
    e.g. sample conjecture: the car thinks the 12v battery needs replacing because it is cycling often, but it is cycling often because there is continuous draw on the 12v system. This may or may not just be my car, but in either case probably not a good idea to try to reproduce my issues.

• Informative x 1
  17. K-MTG

18. systemcrashed

#18 systemcrashed, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Yep, this is the project I'm working on. I found a wire mapping diagram for the ODB2, it shouldn't be to hard to make a plug in adapter to use outside the car. I would not cross over the ACC to constant on the car side though for continuous in car power. Depending on how long you need power after car has been turned off, using a 12V socket in conjunction with a rechargeable battery pack might work better.

Not sure if it was your post, but a 12v lighter socket without a device plugged into it should not draw any power. The ZTE hotspot draw is very low, I believe the 12V battery gets charged from the main battery when it runs below a certain level. Nevertheless, not a good idea to run this for a prolonged period anyway, hence the rechargeable battery pack idea.

19. K-MTG

Please share the diagram, I identified the constant and ground from the diagrams I saw but not ACC

20. K-MTG

Does OBD even contain ACC or does it use something else to verify if the car is on or not