TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

OBD Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by K-MTG, Jun 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

image.jpeg
    Correct, the constant is clearly labeled. I need to test which pin is used for power on the ZTE hotspot, I'm still not sure how it switches on/off with ignition.

• Informative x 1
  2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Yea, I hope it is not anything complicated. What other accessories are you using for this project? Perhaps it switches on/off the ground?

Surprised their is such little information about this

3. systemcrashed

It might be a voltage dependent switch, when it senses draw on the 12V it turns off, when it senses 12V charge (engine running) it turns on.

4. K-MTG

Is energy saving enables on your X? If you turn that off does it change anything?

5. systemcrashed

Yes I have it energy saving enabled, I'll check tomorrow to see if turning it off keeps ODB2 on.

6. systemcrashed

I'm referring to the hotspot having this type of voltage sensor, similar to some radar detectors.

7. K-MTG

Yea try that and check always connected. The Delphi connect hotspot states that it can be set to remain on for 2 hours after the car shuts off while the Zubie states 15 minutes.

Based on my research I think the Zubie has a better chance at working with the Tesla even though both state they don't work with Tesla's.

But let me know what you discover, I will keep you posted as well once I receive my hotspot on Thursday. When do you plan on attempting the project?

8. systemcrashed

Possibly this weekend, Saturday maybe. My hotspot might have a settings page that I can check for a power off delay. I'll keep you posted.

9. K-MTG

Thanks!

• Like x 1
  10. K-MTG

Got the Delphie Connect today, it already was activated on my Verizon $5 a month plan so it was a simple matter of plugging it in. However the WiFi only turns on if it detects the ignition but that doesn't happen on the Tesla so I can't get the OBD device to turn on wifi mode. However when I lock the car it seems to turn on for a couple of seconds before shutting off. It works on my ICE when I turn on the engine and remains on even when I turn it off but it has to detect the engine turn on for it to work

11. systemcrashed

I confirmed today that wifi hotspot remains active on the AT&T ZTE ODB2 Hotspot when car is off, i have the range set to 30ft, that is why it wasnt detected at home away from the garage. Good news for the Dashcam.

12. K-MTG

Great News!! Perhaps I will have success with the Zubie as this delphi isn't working

13. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

I'm referring to with a device (dashcam in this case) plugged in.

14. K-MTG

image.jpeg
    Possible to simulate an ignition, can't get it off battery mode to activate wifi

15. K-MTG

The weird thing is that if I hold the "function" button on the OBD device it will turn on wifi for like 30 seconds and then turn off. The light turns green when that happen, I can't figure it out!!!

16. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Problem solved! Just duct-tape a marble on top of the "function" button to keep it pressed all the time. ;)

• Funny x 1
  17. systemcrashed

#37 systemcrashed, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    Not sure, but I think I figured out this mystery behavior, plug your charger into the car and initiate charging, your hotspot should turn on and stay on. Try it and report back. My car was off but on the charger at work all day, that's why the hotspot stayed on. Got home and ignition was off, no hotspot. Not sure what was different, I'm going to see if I can change the time out for the hotspot in its settings.

18. systemcrashed

Yes, any draw will come off the 12v battery while ignition is off. Newer devices can sense this and turn themselves off after the voltage drops below a predefined level avoiding a full drain. Not sure if the black vue has this protection built in. But I suspect the ODB2 hotspots do.

19. K-MTG

What should I do first, plug the car in or plug in the OBD hotspot? Thanks

Did you disable energy savings and check always connected?

20. K-MTG

It has to be pressed for 30 seconds and wait for it to reboot. Not that simple