Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD Hotspot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Zubie Works!!!!! Bought it for $80 from bestbuy, entered the IMEI into my only Verizon account, plugged it into the OBD port on my MX and boooom!! I now have an always on WiFi!!!

Will let you know how it works with the Blackvue tomorrow and hopefully it will remain always on.

Also it is $5 a month on my current data plan, a traditional hotspot would be $20

The Zubie Works!!!!! Bought it for $80 from bestbuy, entered the IMEI into my only Verizon account, plugged it into the OBD port on my MX and boooom!! I now have an always on WiFi!!!

Will let you know how it works with the Blackvue tomorrow and hopefully it will remain always on.

Also it is $5 a month on my current data plan, a traditional hotspot would be $20

That's great! But I think it will power down, that is what the At&t mobley is doing now :/ I will try to turn off energy savings setting only other way to get this to stay on is to use a mifi router with built in battery.

Reactions: nico180
That's great! But I think it will power down, that is what the At&t mobley is doing now :/ I will try to turn off energy savings setting only other way to get this to stay on is to use a mifi router with built in battery.

You are unfortunately right, it shut off after an hour or so ): Will see if it is possible to keep it always on.

Let me know how your hack goes to get it working tomorrow :)

Thanks

Ok, I changed the energy savings off and left the car plugged in all night, The Mobley stayed on the whole time and did not shut down. I will try it out today without being plugged in if should be the same. The key with the Mobley is that as long as it gets power it stays on. I do leave a device connected too so that might help once the dashcam is connected. Which Dashcam did you end up getting @K-MTG ?

Ok, I changed the energy savings off and left the car plugged in all night, The Mobley stayed on the whole time and did not shut down. I will try it out today without being plugged in if should be the same. The key with the Mobley is that as long as it gets power it stays on. I do leave a device connected too so that might help once the dashcam is connected. Which Dashcam did you end up getting @K-MTG ?

The thing is that the OBD port is always powered but their is something else that tells the hotspot to turn on and off. I am not sure what does as my hotspot runs 15 minutes after shutdown as it states in the manual. We have to identify what tells the hotspot to turn off. I will try the other OBD port using the adapter.

At night when my car is charging the hotspot remains on.

The dashcam didn't arrive yesterday and the tracking still says out for delivery, will have to wait until Monday

The thing is that the OBD port is always powered but their is something else that tells the hotspot to turn on and off. I am not sure what does as my hotspot runs 15 minutes after shutdown as it states in the manual. We have to identify what tells the hotspot to turn off. I will try the other OBD port using the adapter.

At night when my car is charging the hotspot remains on.

The dashcam didn't arrive yesterday and the tracking still says out for delivery, will have to wait until Monday
Unplugged the charger, Mobley turned off. But when charger was plugged in it stayed on all night. There may also be the possibility that if a device is using the wifi it will remain on continuously. I will now try to connect the X to the hostspot's wifi and see if it stays on.

Update: My trials have very unpredictable results. I am now suspecting that the hotspots have a voltage detection circuit that turns on/off automatically depending on the voltage of the 12v battery. In an ICE vehicle the hotspot would turn on as you started your engine and voltage increased as the alternator begins charging the battery, in the model X it is different, 12v is charged by main battery or wall charger as needed. This may explain why I have to unplug the hotspot and plug it back into ODB2 when it won't turn on with car on.

Last edited:
Unplugged the charger, Mobley turned off. But when charger was plugged in it stayed on all night. There may also be the possibility that if a device is using the wifi it will remain on continuously. I will now try to connect the X to the hostspot's wifi and see if it stays on.

Update: My trials have very unpredictable results. I am now suspecting that the hotspots have a voltage detection circuit that turns on/off automatically depending on the voltage of the 12v battery. In an ICE vehicle the hotspot would turn on as you started your engine and voltage increased as the alternator begins charging the battery, in the model X it is different, 12v is charged by main battery or wall charger as needed. This may explain why I have to unplug the hotspot and plug it back into ODB2 when it won't turn on with car on.

Yup that seems to be the case, the wi-fi is still on even though my X finished charging. Did you figure out how to externally power it? I just received my step up converter and tried using pins 16 and 4 but nothing happened

I guess I won't be able to use it for my dashcam I guess. So the SSID disappears when the car is powered off?

How are you planning on powering it with a portable battery? Perhaps some tweaking will allow it to remain powered all the time?

Sorry I am late reading/replying to this message from earlier this week. I was off the forums for most of the week.

I ordered the FreedomPop Mifi ($33 shipped with first month of 1G included). I was going to look for something that was hardwired, but then decided against a hidden unit because I occasionally need to check and see if my BlackVue DashCam is connected to it, or if the hotspot is connected to the Internet.

So... I have the Mifi sitting behind the cell phone holder (on the same level as the cup holders) and attached it to the other USB slot in the front. Those USB slots stay powered even when off, so that solves your problem of finding constant power.

Sorry I am late reading/replying to this message from earlier this week. I was off the forums for most of the week.

I ordered the FreedomPop Mifi ($33 shipped with first month of 1G included). I was going to look for something that was hardwired, but then decided against a hidden unit because I occasionally need to check and see if my BlackVue DashCam is connected to it, or if the hotspot is connected to the Internet.

So... I have the Mifi sitting behind the cell phone holder (on the same level as the cup holders) and attached it to the other USB slot in the front. Those USB slots stay powered even when off, so that solves your problem of finding constant power.

Which Mifi did you get? I use Freedompop on my Acura using the Netgear Mingle. 1 gig for free per month, but I want something more reliable as Sprint LTE network is not solid

I will most likely resort to using a mifi plugged into the USB port. It will have a battery as well.

Yea, I will play around with it and try the 2nd OBD port underneath the MCU for the next two weeks. If I get it to work I will keep it, if not I will return it and use a freedompop 1 gig for free per month solution.

$5 a month is fine for the OBD dongle but I can't justify paying $20 a month for a device (dashcam) that uses 200mb per month

Yea, I will play around with it and try the 2nd OBD port underneath the MCU for the next two weeks. If I get it to work I will keep it, if not I will return it and use a freedompop 1 gig for free per month solution.

$5 a month is fine for the OBD dongle but I can't justify paying $20 a month for a device (dashcam) that uses 200mb per month
Yeah I wouldn't, only reason we will use the mifi for rear entertainment dual iPads on headrest ram mounts.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I found this card inside my DR650GW model. So the same features can be had on the existing model after a firmware update, the badge on the front of the DR650S says Blackvue Cloud, DR650GW says Blackvue WiFi. Both models are listed as compatible in the Cloud app. FYI

Last edited:
View attachment 181521 View attachment 181522

I found this card inside my DR650GW model. So the same features can be had on the existing model after a firmware update, the badge on the front of the DR650S says Blackvue Cloud, DR650GW says Blackvue WiFi. Both models are listed as compatible in the Cloud app. FYI

Yup, I am using this feature on my 650 located in the Acura. The 650s allows you to save multiple SSID

Hello gents!

I was curious what you guys ended-up with for your final configurations?

I am considering either the Blackvue or the Thinkware, due to the ability for live streaming. However, this also requires a WiFi hotspot solution. I am a Verizon customer, FWIW.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Hello gents!

I was curious what you guys ended-up with for your final configurations?

I am considering either the Blackvue or the Thinkware, due to the ability for live streaming. However, this also requires a WiFi hotspot solution. I am a Verizon customer, FWIW.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Check out my post of the DR650S: Blackvue DR650S Review + Tesla Model X Install

Coming soon ... Tesla is working to turn its vehicles into Wi-Fi hotspots, introduces new chip and module

Earlier this year, Tesla applied with the FCC for the use of radio frequencies on a new device; a new SiP module with a new chip and USB/Bluetooth/Wi-Fi hub. The application was confidential, but the confidentiality clause was lifted earlier this month and Electrek obtained the documents. Here’s the new USB/Bluetooth/Wi-Fi hub:

The new module was introduced with a new Qualcomm Atheros QCA6234 chip optimized for a Wi-Fi hotspot:

“The Qualcomm Atheros industry leading AP Mode feature allows the QCA6234 device to operate as both a station and an Access Point, enabling seamless station-to-station interconnection with all the benefits of standard infrastructure-level simplicity (no special client software or settings required), security, and power save functionality.”

Interestingly, the confidentiality request filed with the FCC mentioned that Tesla planned to introduce this device in its vehicles starting in the first quarter 2016. The first quarter 2016 ended March 31, just a few weeks before Tesla launched its refreshed Model S – meaning that it should be in all new vehicles since the second quarter.

• Informative
Reactions: cmd_keen and K-MTG