TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

OBD Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by K-MTG, Jun 14, 2016.

1. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

If we have these new chips, why does my Tesla still use 802.11g??

• Like x 1
  2. cmd_keen

cmd_keen Member

Wonder if this can be a "plug and play" upgrade... probably not. For now, I'm using an older Android phone and its hotspot along with the Blackvue.

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

It's entirely possible that while Tesla planned to start shipping in March 2016, they may have missed that deadline. The application is over a year old, so lots could have changed since.

4. ODBII

ODBII Member

I came across this topic in google search. I am looking to use an AT&T mobley outside of a vehicle. I came across an ebay listing, which seems to be a home-made solution but at $48 it isn't very cheap for what looks to be a very simple solution.

I guess I'm posting this to see if anyone has come up with a solution to use the ODB Mobley outside of a vehicle?
    I've come across a few things like this or this or this, however I have no idea if they'd work. I don't really know much about OBD or what would be required to power them outside of a vehicle. I do have a bunch of usb power supplies from various wifi hotspots and modems and routers etc. So the power aspect probably is the least concern... just trying to figure out of that OBD adapter, and cable in one of those links that I posted above would actually been what I'd need.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

5. ODBII

ODBII Member

upon closer inspection, it seems that those adapters in the links would not work. I'd need something with a female part. for some reason I thought the mobley had a female end, but it actually has a male.. like the ends of those adapters in the links :(

6. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

IMG_0778.GIF IMG_0779.jpg
    You can create your own adapter, using a female plug you can find online and wire power to the appropriate leads.

• Informative x 1
  7. ODBII

ODBII Member

Sure, I just need to learn how to solder first :p

• Funny x 1