Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD Hotspot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming soon ... Tesla is working to turn its vehicles into Wi-Fi hotspots, introduces new chip and module

Earlier this year, Tesla applied with the FCC for the use of radio frequencies on a new device; a new SiP module with a new chip and USB/Bluetooth/Wi-Fi hub. The application was confidential, but the confidentiality clause was lifted earlier this month and Electrek obtained the documents. Here’s the new USB/Bluetooth/Wi-Fi hub:

The new module was introduced with a new Qualcomm Atheros QCA6234 chip optimized for a Wi-Fi hotspot:

“The Qualcomm Atheros industry leading AP Mode feature allows the QCA6234 device to operate as both a station and an Access Point, enabling seamless station-to-station interconnection with all the benefits of standard infrastructure-level simplicity (no special client software or settings required), security, and power save functionality.”

Interestingly, the confidentiality request filed with the FCC mentioned that Tesla planned to introduce this device in its vehicles starting in the first quarter 2016. The first quarter 2016 ended March 31, just a few weeks before Tesla launched its refreshed Model S – meaning that it should be in all new vehicles since the second quarter.

Wonder if this can be a "plug and play" upgrade... probably not. For now, I'm using an older Android phone and its hotspot along with the Blackvue.

Correct, the constant is clearly labeled. I need to test which pin is used for power on the ZTE hotspot, I'm still not sure how it switches on/off with ignition.

I came across this topic in google search. I am looking to use an AT&T mobley outside of a vehicle. I came across an ebay listing, which seems to be a home-made solution but at $48 it isn't very cheap for what looks to be a very simple solution.

I guess I'm posting this to see if anyone has come up with a solution to use the ODB Mobley outside of a vehicle?
I've come across a few things like this or this or this, however I have no idea if they'd work. I don't really know much about OBD or what would be required to power them outside of a vehicle. I do have a bunch of usb power supplies from various wifi hotspots and modems and routers etc. So the power aspect probably is the least concern... just trying to figure out of that OBD adapter, and cable in one of those links that I posted above would actually been what I'd need.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

upon closer inspection, it seems that those adapters in the links would not work. I'd need something with a female part. for some reason I thought the mobley had a female end, but it actually has a male.. like the ends of those adapters in the links :(

IMG_0778.GIF
IMG_0779.jpg
upon closer inspection, it seems that those adapters in the links would not work. I'd need something with a female part. for some reason I thought the mobley had a female end, but it actually has a male.. like the ends of those adapters in the links :(
You can create your own adapter, using a female plug you can find online and wire power to the appropriate leads.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
I know that the OBD port provides constant 12V on the Tesla already since others tapped into it for a dashcam. Surprised that is shuts off when the car is off. Let me know what you use to keep it continuously powered.

This might be a basic question for which I have not been able to figure out the answer, why is the ODB port necessary when the 12V power outlet provides continuous power? Also, how would you set up the dash cam system if wi-fi signal is not available in the garage and would like to keep the dashcams and the hotspot device on at all times?

Feds require all cars to have a OBD II port. They don't dictate how its used but its required on U.S. sold cars.
The 12V power outlet is not continuous power.

How would you setup the dash cam system if wifi signal is not available in the garage? Depends on how you are trying to use the wifi on the dash cam. The dash cam is not dependent on the Internet alone. Most dash cams these days provide wifi to your phone or tablet so you can view the videos and/or configure the device.

Most recent dash cams are providing cloud features, but you must provide the Internet connection. Think about it for a minute. You really don't need the dash cam cloud feature when your car is sitting in your garage where you probably have wifi from your house (nothing to view or upload). Where you want the cloud work and the Internet to exist is away from home in maybe a parking lot or driving. But there you are going to need a hotspot to bridge your dash cam from the car to the Internet.

So what do you need to hook up the dash cam to the OBD II port, assuming that is the only way to get continuous power?

"Most dash cams these days provide wifi to your phone or tablet so you can view the videos and/or configure the device." I am assuming you are referring to instances when the phone is connected to the same wi-fi network. How would this help if the garage does not pick up wi-fi signal and I need to have the connection on 24/7?

Do you have any suggestions for creating a hotspot? I was reading about Freedom Pop but apparently the reviews aren't that great.

So what do you need to hook up the dash cam to the OBD II port, assuming that is the only way to get continuous power?

"Most dash cams these days provide wifi to your phone or tablet so you can view the videos and/or configure the device." I am assuming you are referring to instances when the phone is connected to the same wi-fi network. How would this help if the garage does not pick up wi-fi signal and I need to have the connection on 24/7?

Do you have any suggestions for creating a hotspot? I was reading about Freedom Pop but apparently the reviews aren't that great.

You have more than one question to deal with in your post.

There are different power connection requirements on dash cams. I know what the Blackvue uses, but I've not paid attention to what other dash cams need. There are a variety of power cords that will likely solve your issue. Here's a couple but you have to figure out what your connection is.
https://www.amazon.com/KYLIN-OBDII-Charging-Cable-Adapter/dp/B01H38IIY6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1509922161&sr=1-1&keywords=Charging+Cable+Micro+USB+Power+Adapter+-+16Pin+OBD2+Connector&dpID=41RL2i9MJjL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
https://www.amazon.com/Camera-Charging-Adapter-Switch-Button/dp/B01H38IO86/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1509922161&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Charging+Cable+Micro+USB+Power+Adapter+-+16Pin+OBD2+Connector
https://www.amazon.com/J1962-OBDII-Diagnostic-Connector-Pigtail/dp/B01M3OCT0Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1506632462&sr=8-9&keywords=OBD+II+connector+male (Make your own)
Snap N Go OBD II Connector for BlackVue Dash Cams with AAC and Parking Mode - New Arrivals
Blackvue

There's more than one way to get continuous power to your dashcam in a S. I don't have my info handy or I would post it here. But if you go read the Dash cam guide on Teslatap.com, he got the info that I found that allows you to connect using an OEM connector to the persistent power connection in the speaker grille on the S. You would need the connector housing and the pins for it both.

"Most dash cams these days provide wifi to your phone or tablet so you can view the videos and/or configure the device." I am assuming you are referring to instances when the phone is connected to the same wi-fi network.

No, I am not talking about your normal wifi network. Dash cams these days allow a direct wifi connection between your smart phone or a tablet/ipod to the dash cam so you can view the capture videos.

And dash cams that have the cloud feature enhance that more. Cloud features are cool, but this is where you are going to need the hotspot to maximize the value of trying to use the cloud features. Hotspots generally start at $20 a month these days. But that may not be enough data (for $20) than you would need. I think that's what the Freedompop hotspot guys learned. Yes, its cheap, and useful, but its not going to provide enough data for moving video to the cloud at the schedule the camera will try to do.

I think you are in the same boat as I am. I wanted to do cloud operations on my Blackvues too. And decided, I didn't really need to be loading videos to the cloud when they are already in the camera on the media card. I think if you have a situation where you need to be using the cloud loaded video in real time to look over the shoulder of someone beside you that is driving your car, you have a bigger problem than the dash cam with cloud features can fix.

How would this help if the garage does not pick up wi-fi signal and I need to have the connection on 24/7?
If wifi connections to your garage is your network problem, you may need to replace some of your equipment. I was using two or three routers tied together chained together but these also were on different wifi networks (different SSIDs). I had a good garage connection, but wanted better - simpler. I opted for Samsung's Home Connect Pro. Its a mesh network and you can bridge wirelessly more than one together then move it to your garage or close to your garage and still maintain the signal. There's two, The Pro is wider & faster perimeter. I bought two unopned new ones on ebay for $ 70 each. (Half what they are at Best Buy or Amazon). Best router I have used yet. And these have a Alexa smart hub built in.

My suggestions? No, the carrier offering change to often. I am not selling anything, so won't make any money from a recommendation. I am not going to research what's available until I want one. I have the Freedompop Franklin hotspot. Free with half a gig a month. I use it generally for web or email on an ipad, not for the dash cam. I think those poor reviews you are referring to were mainly disappointments that the monthly data plan (free) was not enough. So they guys using them had to discontinue the way they were using them. Not because of a service or hardware issue.

Well, I hope I answered most of your questions. This is my experience. Someone is going to jump in and tell me how wrong I am. That's okay.

Feds require all cars to have a OBD II port. They don't dictate how its used but its required on U.S. sold cars.
The 12V power outlet is not continuous power.

How would you setup the dash cam system if wifi signal is not available in the garage? Depends on how you are trying to use the wifi on the dash cam. The dash cam is not dependent on the Internet alone. Most dash cams these days provide wifi to your phone or tablet so you can view the videos and/or configure the device.

Most recent dash cams are providing cloud features, but you must provide the Internet connection. Think about it for a minute. You really don't need the dash cam cloud feature when your car is sitting in your garage where you probably have wifi from your house (nothing to view or upload). Where you want the cloud work and the Internet to exist is away from home in maybe a parking lot or driving. But there you are going to need a hotspot to bridge your dash cam from the car to the Internet.

My problem is that the garage I will Be parking the vehicle may not have the Wi-Fi. I will try to become friends with the garage valet person and see if I can bum the Wi-Fi connection from them.

Now I understand. For you, it might be worth the effort. I wanted to qualify the question first, because to use the cloud feature would have rquired a hotspot and the data use of the data plan would have to be large. BUT, if you are doing wifi only, I suspect its do-able and cost would be more reasonable than a hotspot. Have you talked to the garage valet to see if you can access their wifi?

Am I guessing correctly, that the distance is much to far to the car in that garage for your wifi to reach? Or is it that you wifi signal from your home is not strong enough? How far is the distance?

Now I understand. For you, it might be worth the effort. I wanted to qualify the question first, because to use the cloud feature would have rquired a hotspot and the data use of the data plan would have to be large. BUT, if you are doing wifi only, I suspect its do-able and cost would be more reasonable than a hotspot. Have you talked to the garage valet to see if you can access their wifi?

Am I guessing correctly, that the distance is much to far to the car in that garage for your wifi to reach? Or is it that you wifi signal from your home is not strong enough? How far is the distance?

Getting the wifi from the garage when the car is parked remotely would be worthwhile and I will check with the valet to see if that is doable.

As far the personal garage, the wifi signal is very weak. In that situation I should be able to get a wifi range extender and hopefully that will carry it to the car location. I live on the 5th floor of a building and car is attached next to the building.

As far getting a dashcam that has the data plan built in, I came across the following 360 degree dash cam. They are still fulfilling the orders from their kickstarter campaign but the camera itself looks promising. What do you think?

Waylens Secure360 with 4G - Automotive Security Camera

Getting the wifi from the garage when the car is parked remotely would be worthwhile and I will check with the valet to see if that is doable.

As far the personal garage, the wifi signal is very weak. In that situation I should be able to get a wifi range extender and hopefully that will carry it to the car location. I live on the 5th floor of a building and car is attached next to the building.

As far getting a dashcam that has the data plan built in, I came across the following 360 degree dash cam. They are still fulfilling the orders from their kickstarter campaign but the camera itself looks promising. What do you think?

Waylens Secure360 with 4G - Automotive Security Camera

Good question about the Waylen's camera. I don't know. I've not seen a review of it yet. But its promising.

What dash cam has its own data plan and what's the carrier?

About extending wifi. What I did.
I too was using first an old router with a wired connection back to my main router. I really disliked that it was on a separate SSID and actually a separate network. So, I tried a range extender. It worked but had its drawbacks too. It could have been the brand or model, but it kept dropping the signal. Instead of replacing it, I went back to my first plan, an old router. Then about two months ago, I bought a Samsung Connect Home Pro. Its a different technology - Mesh. I lose control over some internal options, but its range extends my G router, even though I am using G versus N or AC inside the house. The car's connection was better, but I needed to improve the signal in the garage for the Solar Panel Internet bridge. So, I watched ebay and caught a second Connect Home Pro for the same price. You configure it with wifi near your main Connect Home Pro, then you can move it. It re-connects automatically. This nearly doubled the coverage with the two devices connecting. I put the second on in the garage and its seems to be as fast as the main one that's in the house. And the bonus is same network/SSID. I have a Dot in the garage now on the same network as the living room and bedrooms. I recommend you consider replacing your router with mesh technology to extend your range versus a range extender.

Sort of back to the original topic...

My X is RHD and am not finding the OBD port on the driver's right side above the footrest. Based on @K-MTG 's photo, in LHD cars it's on the left side above the footrest, on the plastic panel (not buried in the side carpet).
The other day Tesla mechanic came to my house for adjusting automatic door glass movement, I asked him and he told me that X doesn't have any OBD ports!

Is there anybody who has RHD or European Model X? Japanese X is Euro spec with American Tesla charging.

BTW I plan to use these things:
ME154|USB充電器 2ポート OBD 2.1A | スマートフォン充電器|携帯電話/スマートフォン充電器|携帯電話/スマートフォン関連|カーアクセサリー|製品情報|カー用品 総合メーカー カーメイト(CARMATE)
OBD2 USB charger
LTE対応USBドングル PIX-MT100
SIM free USB dongle WiFi router
0 SIM | nuroモバイル
"0 SIM" free for life 4G LTE SIM up to 500MB monthly. Up to $20 if exceeding 500MB. Only for Japanese market.