Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD Hotspot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I posted this thread on the Model X thread: OBD Hotspot?

I am hoping that any of you Model S folks have any additional information to share. Thanks!!!

Essentially, I am trying to use a OBD hotspot device such as the Delphi Connect or Zubie on my X for the Blackvue Over the Cloud Feature. For $5 a month, this seems to be a great add on with my Verizon plan, considering a hotspot would be $20.

Others reported that the AT&T ZTE OBD2 work for them so I hope one of these Verizon products will work for me. Anyone try any of these?

Based on what others mentioned it seems that this hotspot will only function when the car is ON. If that is the case is it possible to make the OBD hotspot to think the car is always on? How does the OBD device know when the car is off, is their a ACC device in the port???

Would appreciate any information :)

I know from trying it that the non-hot spot zubie does not operate in a model S. It gets power but can't report properly.

Assume the hot spot version would have a similar problem. Whether that would prevent the hot spot from operating remains to be seen.

Is the Zubie Key compatible with my car?

Electric Vehicles

Electric cars in most cases do not have diagnostics ports and are not supported. We recommend you check the compatibility of your specific car to confirm.

While Tesla vehicles do have an OBDII port, they unfortunately are not supported by the Zubie Key. Tesla uses the OBD *physical connector* but not the full OBD *protocol* that Zubie needs. As an electric car, Tesla is not required to use the OBD protocol like a gas or hybrid car.

I know from trying it that the non-hot spot zubie does not operate in a model S. It gets power but can't report properly.

Assume the hot spot version would have a similar problem. Whether that would prevent the hot spot from operating remains to be seen.

Is the Zubie Key compatible with my car?

Electric Vehicles

Electric cars in most cases do not have diagnostics ports and are not supported. We recommend you check the compatibility of your specific car to confirm.

While Tesla vehicles do have an OBDII port, they unfortunately are not supported by the Zubie Key. Tesla uses the OBD *physical connector* but not the full OBD *protocol* that Zubie needs. As an electric car, Tesla is not required to use the OBD protocol like a gas or hybrid car.

Does it still connect to your phone? If it gets power the wifi hotspot should activate, I don't care about the diagnostic features

The Zubie Works!!!!! Bought it for $80 from bestbuy, entered the IMEI into my only Verizon account, plugged it into the OBD port on my MX and boooom!! I now have an always on WiFi!!!

Will let you know how it works with the Blackvue tomorrow and hopefully it will remain always on.

Also it is $5 a month on my current data plan, a traditional hotspot would be $20

The Zubie Works!!!!! Bought it for $80 from bestbuy, entered the IMEI into my only Verizon account, plugged it into the OBD port on my MX and boooom!! I now have an always on WiFi!!!

Will let you know how it works with the Blackvue tomorrow and hopefully it will remain always on.

Also it is $5 a month on my current data plan, a traditional hotspot would be $20
So, for example, if you're parked somewhere for dinner will you be able to get a live camera view on your phone for as long as you want all for $5 p/month no limit?

So, for example, if you're parked somewhere for dinner will you be able to get a live camera view on your phone for as long as you want all for $5 p/month no limit?

It is on my data plan so that is the only limit. But it appears it shut off after an hour and turned back on once I opened the door, hopefully it will be possible to keep this guy always on

I only see a price of $100 at amazon and bestbuy as well as a monthly fee of $10 with Verizon.

How do you get it for $80 and $5 with Verizon. Thank you.

Oh wow, the price went up at Bestbuy: Zubie - In-Car Wi-Fi and Vehicle Monitoring Device - Black

They are two subsections, the Verizon subscription which is $5 and the Zubie diagnostic which is $5. I don't need the Zubie diagnostic subscription so it is only an extra $5 on my Verizon plan