Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD2 port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every car sold in the US since 1996 is required to have an OBD2 port.
My MS doesn't have one (and I doubt they would remove a plug for export), I thought I'd also read that some Tesla's that did have them only had the 12V and GND pins connected, no CAN bus at all.
On my MS I'd need to buy a break out adapter to access the CAN bus(s) and remove a panel to access that connector.

I 'think' the rules are different for EV's because nobody needs to check for emissions compliance tests with a scantool.

Reactions: DX-MS21 and ucmndd
My MS doesn't have one (and I doubt they would remove a plug for export), I thought I'd also read that some Tesla's that did have them only had the 12V and GND pins connected, no CAN bus at all.
On my MS I'd need to buy a break out adapter to access the CAN bus(s) and remove a panel to access that connector.

I 'think' the rules are different for EV's because nobody needs to check for emissions compliance tests with a scantool.
Yeah I don’t think they actually do anything useful in a Tesla, you’re right.

And now I’m reading the 3/Y don’t have them at all, presumably because they were able to receive some sort of exemption, so it’s reasonable to think the refresh S doesn’t have one either.

And now I’m reading the 3/Y don’t have them at all, presumably because they were able to receive some sort of exemption, so it’s reasonable to think the refresh S doesn’t have one either.
Actually, I don't think there is any need to get an exemption. The OBD-II regulations which require the OBD part are actually a subset of the emissions certification approval. Given there is no gaseous emissions certification required for the full BEV, there then also is no OBD-II requirements. This is why you do not see a MIL or 'Check Engine' light as that's also a requirement under the OBD-II regulations.

This also is part of the reason that Tesla has been able to get away without making service literature available to general public at a 'reasonable price'. That's actually required in the US under what is known as SIR, Service Information Rule, which was also implemented as a requirement under the Emissions certification requirements.

Actually, I don't think there is any need to get an exemption. The OBD-II regulations which require the OBD part are actually a subset of the emissions certification approval. Given there is no gaseous emissions certification required for the full BEV, there then also is no OBD-II requirements. This is why you do not see a MIL or 'Check Engine' light as that's also a requirement under the OBD-II regulations.

This also is part of the reason that Tesla has been able to get away without making service literature available to general public at a 'reasonable price'. That's actually required in the US under what is known as SIR, Service Information Rule, which was also implemented as a requirement under the Emissions certification requirements.
Makes sense although there's clearly been some sort of evolution of thinking/guidance on the topic over time, as they felt compelled to include the port in the past, even in a completely useless form.

I just checked my refreshed MS LR and I do have a OBD port! I checked pin 4 (GND) and 16 (+V) and got 15.39v DC, so this is a good sign. I'll be hardwiring my blackvue here using the OBD --> Cig. lighter adapter from Amazon.
@Dakster - you may want to check what the input voltage range is for the Blackvue. With Tesla having gone to a lithium ion battery on the MS the low voltage system appears to run upwards of 16 volts depending upon the state of charge of the low voltage battery. There is a recent thread where an owner was trying to hook up a radar detector as was running into it throwing high voltage faults and causing problems.

Here's the other thread if you've not spotted it and wish to take a look.

Good news. Where is the port please.
it's on the driver's side foot well. Power coming out of it was around 15.4v with car off.

Attachments

• obd.JPG
    obd.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Informative
Reactions: Tam
My BlackVue dashcam came with a Magic Pro which lets you cut off the power to the dashcam once the power drops below certain volts.

I am wondering if I need this use this in Tesla since the low volt battery would automatically get charged from the main battery once it gets low (I am assuming). What do you think?

I just checked my refreshed MS LR and I do have a OBD port! I checked pin 4 (GND) and 16 (+V) and got 15.39v DC, so this is a good sign. I'll be hardwiring my blackvue here using the OBD --> Cig. lighter adapter from Amazon.
You can also use the stock cig lighter plug in the center console (forward compartment, somewhat hidden) and run the wire up to your cam.

My BlackVue dashcam came with a Magic Pro which lets you cut off the power to the dashcam once the power drops below certain volts.

I am wondering if I need this use this in Tesla since the low volt battery would automatically get charged from the main battery once it gets low (I am assuming). What do you think?
Dont think so, as to your point the main battery charges the low voltage battery.

I am actually looking for a power source that may be switched with Sentry mode (so when sentry is on, the power is on and when it is off the power is off). That way my cam is not recording all the time parked in my garage. I thought I read of one source but will have to look. If not, I may just go with switched and let the cam shut down when the car is off as I still have the sentry mode cameras as a back up and will just use the BlackVue for drives.