Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBDII Data, Scanners, Adapters, Apps for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could not resist the data tsunami that 'Scan My Tesla' app offters.
Of course you need an On Board Diagnostics adapter since there isn't an OBD port and needs a bluetooth OBD scanner.
For the bluetooth scanner, it seems like the OBDLinkMX+ might be the best security wise but there are a bunch of options.
For adapters, I went with something like this:
obdy.jpg

The problem is that there is VERY little room underneath the panel [near the floor on the back of the midconsole]. And I could not get the panel back in place. I've ordered another adapter that has a much shorter and flatter run of wires between the two connectors in hope that I will be able to get the cover back on.

There is a small plastic bracket that the OBD connection is clipped in to, and it looks like that might come out to make a bit more room for the added bulk of the adapter.

SOMEONE must have done this already!? How did you do it? Did the adapter with shorter flatter connection between plugs fit, or did you have to do something more drastic? I'm just hoping that the answer is NOT to tear the console apart.

I'm just barely starting to dig into the data. I'm particularly interested in what happens to battery temperatures during driving, charging and preconditioning since I'm am in Northern New England.

Though 'Scan My Tesla' app works, I'm not sure the HVAC information truly assesses what's going on with the MY heat exchanger. I'm interested in finding out, if on longer drives when the stators and battery heat up, what the actual energy cost of heating up the cabin will be. On shorter drives, the seat heaters still seem to use up much less juice than blowing hot air into the cabin does.

I could not resist the data tsunami that 'Scan My Tesla' app offters.
Of course you need an On Board Diagnostics adapter since there isn't an OBD port and needs a bluetooth OBD scanner.
For the bluetooth scanner, it seems like the OBDLinkMX+ might be the best security wise but there are a bunch of options.
For adapters, I went with something like this:
View attachment 599610
The problem is that there is VERY little room underneath the panel [near the floor on the back of the midconsole]. And I could not get the panel back in place. I've ordered another adapter that has a much shorter and flatter run of wires between the two connectors in hope that I will be able to get the cover back on.

There is a small plastic bracket that the OBD connection is clipped in to, and it looks like that might come out to make a bit more room for the added bulk of the adapter.

SOMEONE must have done this already!? How did you do it? Did the adapter with shorter flatter connection between plugs fit, or did you have to do something more drastic? I'm just hoping that the answer is NOT to tear the console apart.

I'm just barely starting to dig into the data. I'm particularly interested in what happens to battery temperatures during driving, charging and preconditioning since I'm am in Northern New England.

Though 'Scan My Tesla' app works, I'm not sure the HVAC information truly assesses what's going on with the MY heat exchanger. I'm interested in finding out, if on longer drives when the stators and battery heat up, what the actual energy cost of heating up the cabin will be. On shorter drives, the seat heaters still seem to use up much less juice than blowing hot air into the cabin does.

Can you link to that adapter you have in the picture to begin with please?

I am trying to put the Hannshow massage Chair option to both driver and passenger seats, and scratching my head how to fit two connections to the OBD connection.

Can you link to that adapter you have in the picture to begin with please?

I am trying to put the Hannshow massage Chair option to both driver and passenger seats, and scratching my head how to fit two connections to the OBD connection.
DON"T buy the adapter in my first post, the one with all the wires bundled into a black mesh tube it was really hard for me to cram it behind the cover and I wasn't happy with it....
DO buy the adapter like this:
obd2adapter.jpg
This type of adapter WILL fit under the the cover for the back/bottom of the console.
I don't think it really matters what adapter your get, the ones made for later model 3's will work.

Gunthermic - look at this video, it seems to show them cramming that connector in there:

Reactions: gunthermic
I installed the first one multiple times without issue, so not quite sure why you had so many problems. I did re-arrange one end of the original cable so that it would be angled differently. The cover closed completely and held well.

Note that I’ve since removed the cable because I found the device was interfering with my MY power consumption. Can’t speak to whether that would happen with the ODBII reader you’re looking at, but it was definitely a problem with Allstate’s Milewise adaptor.

I had to tweak the cable a bit for the cover to close, but I did keep the ODB plug end outside so I have access to the OBDLink adapter. You can easily pass the cable for the plug under the cover. If you are careful you should be able to clip the cover back properly. Keeping the adapter inside might be a stretch

I installed the first one multiple times without issue, so not quite sure why you had so many problems. I did re-arrange one end of the original cable so that it would be angled differently. The cover closed completely and held well.

Note that I’ve since removed the cable because I found the device was interfering with my MY power consumption. Can’t speak to whether that would happen with the ODBII reader you’re looking at, but it was definitely a problem with Allstate’s Milewise adaptor.
I just wan't happy with how much I had to jam the cables around, afraid of an electrical short happening down the road.

Did you feel that the OBD2 'reader' was using energy full time even when car was off?

I just wan't happy with how much I had to jam the cables around, afraid of an electrical short happening down the road.

Did you feel that the OBD2 'reader' was using energy full time even when car was off?

That is one problem, but the issue was more serious.

There seems to be various sleep modes the car can go in, similar to a computer. The problem is that the car would come in and out of sleep with the device attached, causing a significant battery drain. You can actually hear it as the relay sound is quite loud, so once you recognize it you can easily tell when the car is powered down.

I actually figured this out with some certainty when I went car camping and the car kept me up. I turned off and unplugged everything one by one (sentry, dash cam, usb devices, etc) until the last one left was the reader. As soon as I unplugged that, the car powered off properly.

DON"T buy the adapter in my first post, the one with all the wires bundled into a black mesh tube it was really hard for me to cram it behind the cover and I wasn't happy with it....
View attachment 600627
This type of adapter WILL fit under the the cover for the back/bottom of the console.
I don't think it really matters what adapter your get, the ones made for later model 3's will work.

Gunthermic - look at this video, it seems to show them cramming that connector in there:

Yes, but not adding a massage on both seats is the problem.. I was attempting to talk to Hannshow, and its on email 6 and going around and around in circles.. They just are not getting it..

There seems to be various sleep modes the car can go in, similar to a computer. The problem is that the car would come in and out of sleep with the device attached, causing a significant battery drain. You can actually hear it as the relay sound is quite loud, so once you recognize it you can easily tell when the car is powered down.

I actually figured this out with some certainty when I went car camping and the car kept me up. I turned off and unplugged everything one by one (sentry, dash cam, usb devices, etc) until the last one left was the reader. As soon as I unplugged that, the car powered off properly.
What 'sender' or 'reader' not sure what they're called, did you use? I don't think I'm seeing this with an MX+

View attachment 600627

What is the part number of “DO buy the adapter like this”.
1640380033022.png