Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBDII hacking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
So, T-Mobile (and probably others) are offering a Wi-Fi Hotspot that runs from a car's ODBII port. Called a "SyncUP Drive". Besides the hotspot, it also monitors the ODBII stuff and connects to an app for reporting on what the car's engine is up to. They had one on some sort of special deal yesterday (like, just about free), so I got it.

The thought was to use just the hotspot part of the product features, since I know the Roadster doesn't do much talking on that port. It appears to work, but only for a few minutes, then shuts down. I'm guessing it thinks the engine is not running. I don't have the app loaded (phone is out of space), but the web browser interface to the device doesn't seem to have any knobs to adjust anything other than the network parameters (wi-fi, firewall, router, etc.).

Is there a relatively easy way to create a fake "engine running" signal on that bus? Maybe with the new OVMS v3 (vague recollection of a pass-through port), or even a module on a Raspberry Pi? The module is nice in that it comes with lots of free data, and automatically powers up with the car (unlike a puck-style hotspot that needs to be managed).

Yes, that's the product.

I went for a drive in the ICE this morning, and confirmed it keeps the Wi-Fi hotspot running while the car is actually running (so it's not a defective unit). So I need to do some research and figure out how to fake enough of the stimulus to convince it that the "engine" is running.

Would this be a good (and reasonable) follow-on to the OVMS v3, to translate what it sees from the Roadster side, and re-create it in "ICE terms" on a downlink port?

Does it read from the CAN bus? I would think you could just pull some wires from the diag port for that information. Or create some sort of diag->OBD2 adapter to power the device.
Interesting suggestion. Power isn't the problem - I was assuming, correctly, that the unit will power up and run with only the 12v from the port. But it needs some additional stimulus to keep from shutting down.

If I can simply pull the CAN info from the other port with only wires (no active translation), that would be great (and probably unrealistic). Sounds like I need to make a break-out cable to watch what's going on. Grazing Wikipedia now...

Probably naive question: What would happen if I plugged the dongle into the port on the passenger side? Bad idea? EDIT: Never mind; different connector.

Last edited:
Is there a relatively easy way to create a fake "engine running" signal on that bus? Maybe with the new OVMS v3 (vague recollection of a pass-through port), or even a module on a Raspberry Pi? The module is nice in that it comes with lots of free data, and automatically powers up with the car (unlike a puck-style hotspot that needs to be managed).

That is the plan for OVMS v3. To have an option to act like a standard OBDII controller to allow third party OBDII devices (like HUDs) to interface. It is not high up on the list, but it is there.